BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im new to forums and this site so apologies for any annoying things, ive recently bought a 2001 e46 318ci and ive noticed a few problems! the car makes a whirring noise close to the inlet manifold and when i remove the oil filler cap the noisy engine turns very smooth and quiet after 5 seconds. the car drinks excessively! im putting £80 a week and getting on average 100miles, the mpg can sometimes drop to 7.1mpg and the highest its been whilst in busy central london is 16mpg( im better off running an m5) also the car stalls if i drive it straight away in the morning without letting it warm up....and last but not least the car only picks up at the 4-5k range, it is very sluggish and sometimes feels like its going to die on me when i floor it,i know its a 4pot but its not a slow steady acceleration its a sluggish and hesitant accelartion til it reaches 4-5k then it shoots off only for it to go into overdrive at 6k:mad..... oh and finally when i step on it or put it in a high gear with low speed and low revs (so its just about to stall whilst rolling) theres is rocking from the back as though its coming from the diff, it sounds like a horse galloping but slowed down. i thought i got this car as a bargain £800 with m3 folding mirrors and 19inch rims and msport body and am quite handy... really hope someone can shed some light so i can begin DIYing it
thanks alot guys

·
Registered
989 Posts
hi im not 100 percent on this an some one else may say im wrong but... on the inlet manifold on each port there is a gasket, if these gaskets are worn it will cause an air leak which could be causing the werring noise. also when these are not tightened properly or the gasket is worn it can cause the engine to lose power the air mixture to be wrong and in turn as more air runs past the maf sensor the ecu trys to compensate by throwing more fuel in to the cyilinder when not the correct amount of air is entering causing it to over fuel i would try that as it is cheap and easy thing to do i have done it to my 320d e46 after i removed my swirl flaps i hope u sort it soon

Reactions: youngbmw

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a mil Nick I'm going to check it out soon hopefully does make sense because when I take off the oil cap it probably sucks air from there rather than from the little gaps at the gaskets

·
Registered
989 Posts
correct m8 hope all gose well feel free to hit the thanks button on my post :thumbsup:rofl

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Any air leak after the MAF won't cause more air flow through the MAF. It will be un-metered air entering the engine. Anyway, as DD says need's diagnostic check

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will buy a diagnostics tool from ebay for £20(please give your opinion) and will post results up soon, does the rocking sound seem to be a characteristic of a failing differential or just differential bushings? it happens when I slowly put it into gear eg at standstill I put it into first I hear the knock

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
INPA or C110 Scanner, don't bother with a £20 universal jobbie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts