BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks!

This is query on what the best engine to use when doing an engine swap for a V8 or V10.

After looking around I see a few people did the M5 V8 swap and that seems to fit well into the E36 engine bay, am I right in saying so?

As for the V10 I am sure that will be a lot harder and what engine would most likely fit?

The reason for asking is that I am thinking, once I have a another BM (looking at the 318 is) to then buy a V8 (or V10) strip it and rebuild it to then drop it into the engine bay.

:thumbsup Cheers!

·
Registered
94 Posts
i prefer the v8 myself, i was going to put my my rover 3.5 v8 into my compact, but sold the compact now, let us know what u go for an keep a thread with pics of the build, will be good to see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the V8's been done.Haven't seen the V10 done yet-but think of this the V10 has 507 naturally aspirated horses..You ain't going to get that power from the V8 without charging it

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i should imagine tht hillclimb car your basing it on is rear engined mate
I was talking about his gear set up :silly lol I am not looking to build a Hill climber :rofl

the V8's been done.Haven't seen the V10 done yet-but think of this the V10 has 507 naturally aspirated horses..You ain't going to get that power from the V8 without charging it
yeah I know the V8 has been done :) hopefully I can persuade a budding mechanic friend of mine to help :D

Ah, I thought the V10 had been done :silly

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok no worries, thanks! I was reading the V8 E46 build, seems to be just the electrics that will be the main hurdle. Time for some serious reading I think but I shall try my best at going for it at my pace (which is slow :D )

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
another item adding to the cost, yeah I was reading about it on the net now :D but I think it will be a worth while swap!

·
Registered
114 Posts
what about the chassis? Are the E36 chassis' built to take 507 bhp?? Surely just about everything would need to be uprated -suspension/steering/brakes/clutch/gearbox etc??

Dont get me wrong, it'd be an awesome car, but would surely cost a fortune!?

Good luck meerkat anyways! :thumbsup I hope you keep the 318is badge - that should turn some heads!! :rofl

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was talking about his gear set up :silly lol I am not looking to build a Hill climber :rofl

yeah I know the V8 has been done :) hopefully I can persuade a budding mechanic friend of mine to help :D

Ah, I thought the V10 had been done :silly
you miss the point... a v10 wont fit in the engine bay

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you miss the point... a v10 wont fit in the engine bay
That's the answer i was looking for, my bad on point missing.

what about the chassis? Are the E36 chassis' built to take 507 bhp?? Surely just about everything would need to be uprated -suspension/steering/brakes/clutch/gearbox etc??

Dont get me wrong, it'd be an awesome car, but would surely cost a fortune!?

Good luck meerkat anyways! I hope you keep the 318is badge - that should turn some heads!!
I knew from the start and reading on what people have done before over the internet that is it a large task to take on but a dream is a dream :D and I really want to give a good crack! Time to live like a bum for a few years :rofl

Of course I'd keep the 318is badge, be a good laugh to this those scooby boys in the rear mirror! :hihi :rofl

Edit: Oh and Boost thanks for putting it in the right place!

·
Registered
242 Posts
That's the answer i was looking for, my bad on point missing.

I knew from the start and reading on what people have done before over the internet that is it a large task to take on but a dream is a dream :D and I really want to give a good crack! Time to live like a bum for a few years :rofl

Of course I'd keep the 318is badge, be a good laugh to this those scooby boys in the rear mirror! :hihi :rofl

Edit: Oh and Boost thanks for putting it in the right place!
when i say it wont fit id be rubbing one out if you proved me wrong :lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts