BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

Looking for a bit of help here.

I own a 2004 325i and a friend of mine has a 2008 118d which is a non runner (Cambelt problem)

Can I use any of the parts for my car? If so, which parts would be worth me scrounging?

If the answer is none of the parts will fit, are there any parts which I should try and salvage either to sell on for profit? I'm not sure on which parts sell well or have value?

They are looking to sell the car for parts but they want it gone as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Cant see any thing fitting but u can sell the door handles m8 ie everything will sell if u got some were to store it sell the seats all the dash steering wheel exhaust all the sensors on the car manifolds bumpers head lights bonnet things like that are good for people who have had a bump basically strip it to a shell most of the time u can part a car out for more than the value any way did it to my old corsa di that had head problems mad that car run faultless then died very high milage tho

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok - Thanks mate. I'll have a word and see what kind of deal I can strike up.

I'm looking into learning more about cars and the mechanical side of things so it'll be good to have a play around with things if they let me loose on it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry. Timing chain I meant (Thought they were the same thing)

I would buy it off them and fix it but I'm guessing they want quite a lot of money for it which I don't have.

I've looked around and the timing chain is fairly cheap to buy. The garage quoted them £3-4K I think.

Is it just a labour intensive job? Or are we talking a complete new engine?

Could be an idea for me to tinker depending on the price but seriously WAY out of my depth (I'm only beginning to understand the basics of how a car engine runs)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry. Timing chain I meant (Thought they were the same thing)

I would buy it off them and fix it but I'm guessing they want quite a lot of money for it which I don't have.

I've looked around and the timing chain is fairly cheap to buy. The garage quoted them £3-4K I think.

Is it just a labour intensive job? Or are we talking a complete new engine?

Could be an idea for me to tinker depending on the price but seriously WAY out of my depth (I'm only beginning to understand the basics of how a car engine runs)
What's the difference between buying it off them to fix and to break in terms of "I'm guessing they want quite a lot of money for it which I don't have. "

If a garage is charging 3-4K for a fix then that sugest the timing chain or associated components have failed and they are probably quoting for a replacement bare engine and fitting. you can probably pick up a spare engine for 700ish and then your labour is free.

TT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol Im not even sure what I meant anymore... :D

Basically I wanted spare parts for mine if they were breaking and if they would fit.

Now they are selling it as it is and have an offer of 2K.....A garage quoted 4K

Would have been a nice car for me to learn on but a bit out of my price range

1 - 9 of 9 Posts