Votes: 12 22.6%
  • I never even notice it

Votes: 2 3.8%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only person who gets irritated by txt spk? Is there a character limit on posts that makes it necessary to shorten words?
Although it is readable, It doesnt flow. Ironically enough, if I were reading it on a phone it would be ok and I can read it fairly fast, but on a post? I end up reading the damned things at a 4 year olds reading speed.

What do you guys think? after all, we r all M8s in here, so ma thoughts n yours shud all b takn into consideration as 2 whether it as a place in the forum.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It annoys me... But I keep doing it! haha :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the odd slip here and there doesn affect me, but as soon as I realise its continuous, I just move to the next post. Think I must be getting old as it really does tick me off now.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Taken directly from the Bimmeforums rules:-

Bimmerforums success is partly based on the fact that our members can actually speak English half decently and also use a modicum of grammar and punctuation! (ok, so a small amount). Please refrain from using text speak or your post will be edited or worse....deleted for the serial offenders!

If the posts do bother people that much, PM a mod and we will sort it. It is extremely difficult to read every post but we do try. :thumbsup

·
Registered
478 Posts
I H8t txt spk.............

I am a lecturer and I have had people hand in essays written entirely in 'txt spk'....... FAIL.... But it is becoming more common, it is almost like a shorthand in my lessons, people write in it, and some I'm sure talk in it...... What happened to good old English, I know I may slip here and there after all I am only human.... but whole tomes in it gets difficult to read at least for me :)

Tom

·
Registered
478 Posts
the odd slip here and there doesn affect me, but as soon as I realise its continuous, I just move to the next post. Think I must be getting old as it really does tick me off now.
I'm 23 and I do it... :) So I must be getting old too... :)

·
Platinum BFuk Member
153 Posts
It annoys me as well the odd slip with iirc and btw is ok but I've seen posts full of it! :frown it can be hard enough sometimes working out what problem people have in the tech posts let alone having to work out what they have actually typed! :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Drives me crazy, also; sentences not starting with a capital, your-you're, their-they're-their, no punctuation etc.

Not after a piece of English literature but something above the efforts of a cave-dweller would be nice.

It's a generalisation, but I'd probably not entertain a long conversation with someone who spoke like that and similarly can't be bothered to type a reply to them either!

(awaits public flaming . . . .)

;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Taken directly from the Bimmeforums rules:-

Bimmerforums success is partly based on the fact that our members can actually speak English half decently and also use a modicum of grammar and punctuation! (ok, so a small amount). Please refrain from using text speak or your post will be edited or worse....deleted for the serial offenders!

If the posts do bother people that much, PM a mod and we will sort it. It is extremely difficult to read every post but we do try. :thumbsup
Oh yes...we have come across some queries that we cannot understand because of txt talk, so bit difficult to help. Punctuation is another downside as Mr G-man clearly knows :rofl

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think forum rules are sometimes rediculously strict. My Liverpool site is a pile of shite, you can't even say how much you hate chelsea. but as long as you can understand the text it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Oh yes...we have come across some queries that we cannot understand because of txt talk, so bit difficult to help. Punctuation is another downside as Mr G-man clearly knows :rofl
:shifty:
:shifty:​
:shifty:​

Yes. Oh, yes, he does!

It's a bloody joke. Irritating in the extreme. I've challenged people about all of this before, and, unbelievably, got responses to the effect of, "Hey duuude, it's not like I'm handing in an essay." ! ! ! ! ! WHAT!?? Is that the deal? As long as you're not handing in an essay, it's okay to type in a manner which, if read aloud, makes you sound like Taz-mania? Knob jockeys! :mad

Sticky this thread!!!!!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I also can't stand it, it's irritating to read, fortunately I've not seen much on here and if I do I will remind the offender of the rules regarding Txt speak ;)

I don't like it really...but then who am i :p
You're the Unofficial noob of bimmerforums.co.uk :hihi

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
I think forum rules are sometimes rediculously strict. My Liverpool site is a pile of shite, you can't even say how much you hate chelsea. but as long as you can understand the text it shouldn't matter.
Well, thats fair enough, if the majority of users dont mind text speak on a forum, then its not a problem.

But on here.... most of our users like to be able to read a post they can understand...!! as the poll shows that the vast majority do indeed prefer non text speak posts.

·
Registered
218 Posts
it pi$$es me of, we have casual staff where I work and they are all under 21, they all use text speak and when you talk to them you would think none have ever been to school or know how to write properly.

It's lazy in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The votes show pretty clearly that the majority of us dislike text speak on the forum. Lets hope any of our recent offenders are taking note of that before they next post.

To all those who have voted so far (and for those who may still vote), I just wanted to say thanks. I for one appreciate it. I am glad to see I am not alone in hating text speak here.

Reactions: Boostist
1 - 20 of 26 Posts