BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
First post here (and hopefully not last)!
If everything goes as planned I'll be an E90 owner in the following weeks.
I haven't decided on the motor yet and would like to ask for advice from the experts.

The car is going to be auto and touring (missus requirement), as for the motor I must say that I'd love a 330 or 335, but honestly I'm a super relaxed driver and I don't think I would make the most of any of them, I'm more into fuel savings than performance.

Having said that, I've read that a six cilinder is more reliable than a four, also, we aren't going to do many miles, probably 5-7k a year. I also read that a petrol would be more reliable than a diesel as it has no turbo and therefore less chances of failing.

So the question is, which motor should I be aiming for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you just care about economy, then get a 320d... get a bmw warranty for a few hundred a year and it's fine. I think the newer 4 pots are more reliable than the older ones anyway.

If you want smoothness too, but still aren't that concerned with speed, get a 325i.

I would advise against a 4 cylinder petrol for an estate though. With the mileage you do though, you're probably better off economically buying a petrol. The fuel savings would take many years to claw back over the purchase cost.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd plump for the 325i over the diesel as with the low mileage the diesel may not appreciate short journeys. I have a 4 pot manual 320i and I find it a very relaxing drive and reasonably pokey when needed but you have to stir it up a bit of you ever need to get a bit enthusiastic . As your looking for an auto, non turbo engine with a smooth power delivery I reckon the 325i will probably be made for you .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd plump for the 325i over the diesel as with the low mileage the diesel may not appreciate short journeys. I have a 4 pot manual 320i and I find it a very relaxing drive and reasonably pokey when needed but you have to stir it up a bit of you ever need to get a bit enthusiastic . As your looking for an auto, non turbo engine with a smooth power delivery I reckon the 325i will probably be made for you .
The car will be used during work days by my wife, she has a 6 mile drive to work which she will do 4 days a week, then I will use it on weekends for 60 mile round trip to the hills (for some mountain biking). I fancy the 330d, but I guess it won't like the short commute.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The diesels should be fine if you are doing a 60 mile trip every week, some short journeys won't clog the DPF. If you are not so fussed over performance I would go 325d or 325i, the d would be more economical. Not only that if you are a relaxed driver you may like the low end torque of a diesel as you don't have to work them to make them go. I would always choose a 6 pot though but that's just my opinion, they just feel smoother and more refined to me. The touring model is the e91 by the way :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh ok, just assumed that e90, e91 where small evolutions :).
I think I'll go with the i as for the same price the d has way more miles.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Oh ok, just assumed that e90, e91 where small evolutions :).
I think I'll go with the i as for the same price the d has way more miles.
That's what I thought !!!! Its e90 saloon, e91 touring, e92 coupe and e93 cabriolet. There was a face lift mid 2008 (LCI) with subtle body and interior changes.

You won't be disappointed. Currently own a e46 325i and a e91 335d lci which has been remapped. I love the 325i, the engine sounds sweet and has been very reliable apart from the odd niggle but the 335d is a rocket ship (to me anyway) I love driving it. They don't sound as nice as the 6 pot petrols but the torque makes up for it imo. The sound does grows on you though, a bit agricultural but powerful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts