BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody got any suggestions as to how to undo the above offending git, ive tried the old in gear someone on the brake and big breaker bar on followed by flicking the key which i didnt like as it jammed the starter in. however i didnt try this with a bit of wood on teh n/s chassis as theres nowhere on the chassis to put it.
soooo before i tow it to a local garage does anybody have a suggestion as ive also got to replace most of my large bars as i broke almost all of them.
and is it a normal right hand thread?

cheers - ant

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
has anybody got any suggestions as to how to undo the above offending git, ive tried the old in gear someone on the brake and big breaker bar on followed by flicking the key which i didnt like as it jammed the starter in. however i didnt try this with a bit of wood on teh n/s chassis as theres nowhere on the chassis to put it.
soooo before i tow it to a local garage does anybody have a suggestion as ive also got to replace most of my large bars as i broke almost all of them.
and is it a normal right hand thread?

cheers - ant

They are a bugger to remove.....we out it into gear, have someone stomp on the brakes, then we use a 5ft scaffolding pole, cough,cough over a breaker bar................that usually works:D

Have you tried removing the starter and jamming the ring gear in with a suitable tool??

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
havent tried jamming the starter yet but with someone on the brake and my favourite breaker bar with suitable extension (large jack handle:D) i still snapped the bar. is the starter relatively easy to pop out of these?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
havent tried jamming the starter yet but with someone on the brake and my favourite breaker bar with suitable extension (large jack handle:D) i still snapped the bar. is the starter relatively easy to pop out of these?

You snapped the bar??...........I think you should stop buying your tools from Tesco dude...........just messin:D

starter is a bit fiddley dude............but if you snapped the bar then get a stronger one:D:D and give it a shot........the garage you take it to will do the same- no point in paying them the labour costs if you can invest in one and do it yourself:thumbsup

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've had this particular bar ages but never got close to snapping it however i've not used a 3 foot pole on it either lol i'm getting another one tomorrow so i'll see how that goes

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Snap On breaker bar, 1/2 drive(if rich 3/4), pin the flywheel with proper tool and bobs your uncle :D

It's what I do, I'm still trying to break my Mac breaker bar because it looks like a cheap Tesco own brand :rofl

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine wont come undone either,the clutch gives up and slips with mine.
Using a nice new shiney Snap-on breaker bar,the one thats on special with the long handled 1/2" ratchet.
I've also tried the tool for undoing wheel nuts with a hammer.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Mine wont come undone either,the clutch gives up and slips with mine.
Using a nice new shiney Snap-on breaker bar,the one thats on special with the long handled 1/2" ratchet.
I've also tried the tool for undoing wheel nuts with a hammer.

Hitting it with a hammer wont do it dude.

You need to get leverage........lock the flywheel as Ronnie says, get someone to stomp on the brakes........we always use a 1/2" 2ft breaker bar with a 5ft scaffolding pole over it:D

Leverage mate, leverage:thumbsup

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok well after much trying its still tight. ive retried the bar on and flick key to slam the bar over and yes it hasnt worked and in the process now jammed my starter in the engaged position :mad so again with someone on the brakes and me(not a weakling that much) pulling the breaker bar lengthened by 4 feet nothing and the we canot hold the car still to do it.
now as i still have no acess to anyway of making my own tools again where can i get a proper crank holding tool?

oh and theres no way im struggling to get the starter out and wedging something in there

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Works for me, I've not broken one yet somehow :eek...............:hihi
Seriously? I was going to get one of these kits but wasn't too sure on the strength. I've undone loads of crank pulley bolts before but this one is absolutely solid, i just don't trust it

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
A crank holding tool would be a better idea, but it is how I've undone everyone so far using the pin :hihi, otherwise you will need to strip the front and get a BIG windy gun in there if you can't make a tool to stop the crank

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A crank holding tool would be a better idea, but it is how I've undone everyone so far using the pin :hihi, otherwise you will need to strip the front and get a BIG windy gun in there if you can't make a tool to stop the crank
got a nice big bar and some plate to make a holding tool as im going to be stripping an m44 soon so will come in handy however some clever knob covered my car and everywhere else in snow so cant yet :hihi:rofl

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
got a nice big bar and some plate to make a holding tool as im going to be stripping an m44 soon so will come in handy however some clever knob covered my car and everywhere else in snow so cant yet :hihi:rofl
Tell me about it, my journey to work this morning took ages..................................

And I loved it :lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts