BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOT LOOKING TO SELL

My dad has a BMW 635csi Convertible - only a handfull were made (3 exist in the uk...1 a mess, 2 Roadworthy (ish)) And i was wondering if it was worth repairing? Hes had it a good few years now and used to drive it a lot. Its been garaged for a few years now and has gone into a bit of a state regarding rust etc. (floor and sills i think). im keen to hold onto it and make it my restoration project. Its such a rare and beautiful car! It even has a factory fitted manual Dogleg gear box!

Anyone have any opinions? And if anyone knows any around or can give me any pointers regarding resortaion i would apreciate that!

Look forward to hearning from you!

Alex

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Can you weld? Can you fabricate within reason? Are you mechanically savvy? Do you have contacts who can help with regards to parts, paint etc?
If yes to all of those then give it a go, you won't know anything until you strip it down though. Being a convertible you'll need to be damn sure about the structure so don't go cutting chunks out without bracing the shell up. As it's soo rare, you will have trouble finding parts and will have to resort to modifying standard 6 panels I would have thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you weld? Can you fabricate within reason? Are you mechanically savvy? Do you have contacts who can help with regards to parts, paint etc?
If yes to all of those then give it a go, you won't know anything until you strip it down though. Being a convertible you'll need to be damn sure about the structure so don't go cutting chunks out without bracing the shell up. As it's soo rare, you will have trouble finding parts and will have to resort to modifying standard 6 panels I would have thought.

Thanks. Yeah we have quite a few contacts...Quoted 600+ for the welding. Mechanically its pretty sound, with only a few bits and bobs needed. The gearbox has been refurbed - So hopefully will still be 100%! Parts will be an issue but the occationsally come up for breaking (coupes) So fingers crossed!

Thanks for your feedback

1 - 7 of 7 Posts