BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Tyre size and fitment.

3K views 21 replies 2 participants last post by  defrank 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Fairly new to BMWs. Car is a 2009 318i SE E90 LCI. Basic model (no automatic headlight switch, no DRLs [emoji52]) free of electronic gadgetry and less sensitive I hope. Have a love-hate relationship with it.

Current wheels are a BMW square set up - 16x7 ET31 with 205/55/16 tyres all round. Wheels look sunken underneath the arches. More comfort than traction. Always a trade off with engineering eh?

Anyway, planned new wheel set up:
Style 128 reps
Front 18x8 ET 30
Rear 18x9.5 ET 30
The 1.5 inch difference between the front and rear wheel widths concern me a bit. Any thoughts on this?

Not 100% sure but she doesn’t look like a sport suspension equipped car as the wheel gap can fit 3 of my fingers (see pic) Might be lowering her on Eibach Pro Kit later.

Any tips on tyre sizes or anything else will be much appreciated. Don’t want the speedo reading to be off mark and would prefer to avoid rolling my rear arches if possible. I understand these LCI models have 8mm less clearance at the rear. I’m going for an OEM plus look. Thanks.

See less See more
#6 ·
18's wore 225/40 & 255/35

For comparison:
E90s also came with 8x19" et 37 / 9x19 et 39 with 225/35 255/30 from the factory

And on my E91 LCI i have 8.5x20 et 33 & 9 x20" et44 with 245/30 & 265/30 no spacers - no issues

:)

Reactions: defrank
#15 ·
So far the car handles well. No crashing but when going over tiny imperfections on the road, I get a bouncy feedback. I’ve been told I need to change my shocks at some point before they wear out. I’ve heard good things about Bilstein and Eibach springs combo. Problem is where to get them cheapest.

#16 ·
When my Touring needed rear shocks a couple of years ago I put Bilstein B4's on - stock M-Sport suspension but I'm happy with them
Check the part numbers for your saloon but a quick google for the ones I bought has brought up Demon Tweeks up as being cheap...

#19 ·
Nice!
And parked a safe distance from the curb 😉
I get an Uber from my car to the pavement these days due to my diamond cuts 😅

I’ll give you a year max before you’re rolling on 20’s 😛

#21 ·
Spacers have to be done right not on the cheap
Hubcentric is a must and correct length bolts

5mm? - hold your fingers apart 5mm - is that even worth it?

also ET is only easily comparable for the same width wheels - if they are a different width then use willtheyfit to get your head round the difference

#22 ·
Need my car to sound a bit louder. Not raspy. More like a deeper growl. Problem? It’s a 4 pot NA petrol engine. I’m faced with deleting either the muffler or resonator. Been told it’s safer to keep the muffler and delete the resonator coz of back pressure, fuel economy and the dash lighting up like a Xmas tree. Not sure which option to go with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.