BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice needed !
I have a BMW 320d Touring 2016 with 225/45/18 and 255/40/18 tyres which are standard.
I want to fit all season tyres (Michelin crossclimate + or continental all season contact) there are no options for the rear 255/40/18, the fronts are not a problem. Both brands do 245/40/18 or 245/45/18 can these be installed safely on the rear wheels ? I don't mind that they are not run flats as I have a spare wheel.

Open to advice for any other options

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think a lot buy a second set of non staggered alloys and run their winter tyres on those, just one size required then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
845 Posts
Have you had problems in bad weather with standard tyres?

The reason I ask is that I have driven through really bad snow in my E92 on decent summer tyres with no issues at all. Admittedly I don’t often need to use the car in bad weather and also live in an area of the midlands where snow is quite rare. But I got caught out late one night out in the countryside and was very surprised that the normal tyres got me home just fine.

If you have a garage or large shed for storage then maybe consider a spare set of winter wheels. 17’s with narrower tyres would work well. Otherwise I’m sure that you can make minor adjustments to tyre size if all season tyres are a must.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Have you had problems in bad weather with standard tyres?

The reason I ask is that I have driven through really bad snow in my E92 on decent summer tyres with no issues at all. Admittedly I don’t often need to use the car in bad weather and also live in an area of the midlands where snow is quite rare. But I got caught out late one night out in the countryside and was very surprised that the normal tyres got me home just fine.

If you have a garage or large shed for storage then maybe consider a spare set of winter wheels. 17’s with narrower tyres would work well. Otherwise I’m sure that you can make minor adjustments to tyre size if all season tyres are a must.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same issue. I like Michelin cross-climates. Did you find any answers? Previously I've used a cheap set of 17" wheels that are all on 225/45/17, but I'm concerned that the insurance company might say they're not the BMW approved size.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts