BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an issue with one the rear tyres on my 2009 E63 that keeps loosing about 10psi over about 2-3 days and keep bringing the tyre pressure warning on every day or two. I have had the car into a garage today who took the wheel off sprayed a soapy water around the valve and rim and couldn't find any leak, put the alloy in a water bath again no air bubbles or anything.... they took the wheel off replaced the valve he cleaned the rim of the alloy and mentioned it was pretty clean with no corrosion etc and put on black sealer stuff before refitting tyre.... Driving the car today and the tyre pressure have pinged up checked them and they have lost about 10psi, does anyone have anymore thoughts ? Will new tyres solve the issue ?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Might sound daft but have you been using the same valve caps all the time? I had some metal ones on my winter wheels that were the same as the ones I used on the summer wheels and had a similar problem (but only around 4-5 psi) on one wheel. In the end it turned out it was the metal valve cap producing the leak somehow. Put the plastic cap back on (all round] and the annoying leaky wheel never leaked again bar the normal 1-2psi over 3-4 weeks which they all went down by.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had a metal valve on originally but so have all the other valves and there fine, after the fitter put a new valve in he used a plastic valve and pressure is still leaking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this issue a few months back. Slightly slower release, usually around 10psi over 4 - 5 days. Eventually I took it to a tyre fitters and they discovered that the alloy rim hadn't been cleaned properly before the new tyre was put on and was therefore leaking really slowly. They cleaned the rims properly and reseated the tyre and the problem was solved. Didn't cost much either - probably about £30 or so including a re-balance.

Ah sorry - just noticed last post was 2018. :-/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts