BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I would not say I have OCD but I hate nothing more than kerbed set of alloys. So on Saturday I go and get all 4 tyres replaced from Run Flats to Falken 452's.

When car was finished, the alloys were covered in this like grease so I couldnt really see the damage because they were filthy. I get home and washed them with some hot soapy water and each and every rim has a mark on them.

Now some of them are only small but the marks have eaten into the laquer and I know that after a few months they will peel off and look crap.

My question is that do I have a leg to stand on if I go back to the garage. I am sure they will say "they were marked before" or even "You should have told us before you took the car away"?

Or am I being too fussy and should just accept that some tyres are difficult to get off and on and as a result they will mark the rim?

·
Registered
388 Posts
No you shouldn't accept it!
I had the same once and I didn't notice until the next day but they gave me credit for 2 new tyres (P6000's too). My whole family have been using them for 20 years though!
It doesn't matter if they say no, which as you didn't notice the damage straight away they can I expect, but it's gotta be worth a try!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its very dark now but I will post some pictures in the morning. Out of my 4 alloys, one was already marked from the prev. owner. The other 3 were mint, no scuffs what so ever.

Some have a long mark on the alloy (About 4" long) and the others have the odd mark here and their. I clean my car every other week and know for sure they was not their before I took the car in for a new set of tyres!

Ill post some pictures in the morning!

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
That's not acceptable or necessary. I've used my local fitter for donkey's years and he knows to look after mine - particularly difficult when he first removed my RFTs!. I've never had an alloy marked and that long scratch is clearly the removal lever-thingy not being padded properly (usualyl a rubber pad that stops direct contact with the rim). Careless fitter!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What makes it more difficult is that I live in Lincolnshire, but I had these fitted in Northampton. I only go there once every other week so won't be until mid July before I can go back in and complain!

I did inspect each wheel before I drove off but as I said their was that much grease on the rims it was more on impossible to visibly see anything, let alone them marks.

·
Bfuk Legend
5,675 Posts
What makes it more difficult is that I live in Lincolnshire, but I had these fitted in Northampton. I only go there once every other week so won't be until mid July before I can go back in and complain!

I did inspect each wheel before I drove off but as I said their was that much grease on the rims it was more on impossible to visibly see anything, let alone them marks.
Telephone and email them your compliant, that way you will have already started the process

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just feel somewhat embarrassed because he seems to be a decent chap. I paid £572 for 4 new tyres (and the price included doing my tracking) so he was fairly cheap.

Should I just ask him to repair them or ask him to refund me some of the money so I can get them repaired here locally?

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Does he have the facility to (properly) repair them? - last thing you want is a quick blow-over with a tin of silver paint!

Why not get one of your local mobile repairers to quote you first so see what's needed? If they can do a good fix for (say) £50, then the fitter may just refund you £50?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does he have the facility to (properly) repair them? - last thing you want is a quick blow-over with a tin of silver paint!

Why not get one of your local mobile repairers to quote you first so see what's needed? If they can do a good fix for (say) £50, then the fitter may just refund you £50?
Don't think he can repair them, but he did have a massive wall full of alloy wheels that he sells.

Yeah ill give that a shot. Ill get on the phone and see who's about and what money they want.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Egg on my face.. :embarrassed:hihi

I'd call them up asap or else they'll say anything could have happened in the two weeks :thumbsup
I had my uncle call in to see him and I have since emailed him some pictures. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt and let him see what he can do, if not ill call up my Credit Card Company and ask them to reclaim monies! £574 should be enough to cover the reconditioning ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is the reason I dread having tyres fitted. I've heard so many stories like this, at least they're doing something about it though and aren't just telling you to go away.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im glad it happened because it will teach me next time to make a point of telling the garages that I have inspected the wheel rims and expect them to be in the same condition when they return.

On another note, I have just spoken with a local body shop in Grimsby near where I work. He did a fantastic repair to my front bumper and he only charges £45+VAT for each wheel (for a complete refurbishment). So I will speak with the garage in Northampton and explain that I want them full refurbished by this garage as it is going to cost the same amount of money.

If anyone wants me to recommend the garage in Grimsby inbox me and ill PM you details.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I used to be a tyre fitter and never scratched a set of rims and I was working on bentleys and overfinch range rovers aswell as normal rims the lever bar shouldn't touch the rims if the wheels in mint condition as soon as the tyre is on the removal lip the bar isn't needed and it's not needed to keep the bar on the wheel it should be removed as soon as it's loose I would've lost my job if I would've done this and marked any wheel I always go to where I used to work :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.