BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Turbo recon?

2K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  330Paddy 
#1 ·
E90 330d 06 reg
Noticed an oil leak and upon further checking I have found oil in the turbo air intake side, time for a new turbo?
Can only find oil leaking out of the intake seal that goes onto turbo, removed the pipe to find oil in the turbo

See less See more
#6 ·
I'd definitely look at changing it then. It's a 'lifelong' part that shouldn't be really.

My 06 320d was consuming loads of oil and leaking it out of the EGR. There was plenty in the turbo shaft like yours too.

I changed the vortex breather twice but didn't realise there's another membrane in the housing.

Ordered the complete part from BMW, think it's was £60 all in and it's absolutely fine now. I'm on just under 170k.

Is it puffing blue smoke when you put your foot down?

#8 ·
It wouldn't suprise me if it was that.

Whilst the loo roll style breathers used to cause no end of turbo failures due to starvation, a bad vortex breather will do completely the opposite.

If it's never been changed and you're on 150k it's a good place to start. Don't get a cheapo off eBay, get a genuine from BM.

The Garrett's on the 330d are genuinely solid.

#10 ·
Not sure if there's a BMW dealer on here selling parts? If there isn't ring your dealer and ask them for a price.

Just seen a Febi on eBay for £47. I'd say that's probably worth a shot.

Some just sell the clip in vortex with the oil seals. You want the complete plastic housing, vortex and oil seals / o rings.

#17 ·
You will always see oil around that spindle area, the engine breather feeds directly into the air intake hose from the air filter, if the car isn’t using excessive oil the don’t waste your money on a replacement turbo, i promise you will see oil around there within 100 miles of replacing the turbo. The oil isn’t coming through the turbo it’s being sucked onto the turbo.

#19 ·
Looks excessive to me, had I have seen this post I would have first said what another chap did which was check for shaft play. The next thing would be the crankcase breather, a quick test is to unscrew the oil fill cap with your finger holding it down, release your finger and if theres excessive crankcase pressure you'll see the oil cap bouncing around, if all is well it will have little to no movement.

I tested this by first installing the loo-roll filter which had great results but started to clog rapidly and caused my oil cap to do this:

Then I removed the loo roll and installed the Vortex and

So if you've installed the loo roll be careful because if you have a lot of oil passing through it won't take much time to clog.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.