BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I recently purchased a 316i, 2015-2016. On test drive I didn't recognise any issues etc.... when I took it out the next day, I heard a noise when I put my foot down so took it to a garage. They advised that one of my hoses from the turbo was collapsing when I hard revved the car. I have no turbo sound at all so seems that the collapsing pipe is preventing the turbo from working? The pipe in question runs from the turbo to what I think is the radiator. Mechanic couldn't really tell me much as he said he doesn't have much experience with the newer engines so that didn't help much. Car doesn't smoke and hasn't lost power as far as I can tell. Any ideas what the problem could be here?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
If the hose is collapsing then it must be losing some power as air flow will be restricted, could just be a faulty hose but could also be something restricting air so the suck from engine is causing it to collapse?
Best bet is to have hose off and have a feel for any weak spots

·
Super Moderator
3,913 Posts
On turbo engine there shouldn't be a situation when there is vacuum on boost hoses (hose collapsing). Remove the intake pipe on turbo and check the compressor wheel and that the axle is spinning freely. If turbo is OK there must be something restricting air flow to turbo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I have ordered the pipe from BMW so thats what I will try first. There is a K&N air filter on it (not installed by me) could that have possibly caused this issue? Am I right in thinking this is the outlet hose (hose from turbo to rad), the hose from air filter to turbo is fine. I have attached a pic of the hose (bottom one) not sure it helps though. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what direction should air be flowing in this hose? I thought air should be flowing out so what would cause it to collapse (seems like air is being sucked in at a high rate)? Any idea where I can start, when looking for a blockage, turbo/air box/pipes etc...

·
Super Moderator
3,913 Posts
Like I tried to explain earlier those boost hoses should be pressurised all the time when engine is running. Only restriction of air flow before that collapsing hose can cause that situation where vacuum caused by engine is bigger than boost pressure. So either turbo has seized or there is some air blockage before turbo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts