BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone :)

Contacting the forum to have opinion from professional, and eventually a bit of help. My car is currently out of use and I got a cost estimation close to 6000£ to repair it... It is a 6 Series 640 D, from 2013.

In 2018, due to an issue with the EGR Valve, the turbo of my car has been damaged and the repair has been taken into warranty by BMW. This was with the previous owner of my car, who sent me the warranty invoice.

I bought it in 2019, being aware of the issue but it was fixed at the time. End of 2019, due to a recall for a risk of fire, the EGR Valve on my car has been replaced by BMW.

2 years later, in 2021, due to an engine light on my dashboard, I went to BMW again (I specify everything has been done in BMW official retailers since 2018 - MOT, service etc...) to investigate the problem. It was an issue with the EGR cooler system which has been taken under warranty (because national recall).

One month later, in May, due to an alert on my car while driving (Drive Train Malfunction), I bring the car back to the garage who inform me the EGR Valve is damaged and it was most likely due to the EGR Cooler issue a week before. They then raised a case to BMW Customer service who agreed to take this issue in charge. The day I leave the garage after my valve is changed, I start hearing a really strong whistling problem when I drive. I bring my car back immediately to the garage who indicates my high pressure big turbo is damaged.
After opening to investigate, they informed me the big turbo (low pressure one) and small turbo (high pressure one) are both damaged. I quote "a nut which came off the low pressure large turbo and the damaged the impellor and the metal filings also caused damage to the high pressure small turbo. »

I assume a turbo which is 10 000 miles old (Changed at 54k miles in 2018, issue happened at 64k miles), changed couple of years before is not supposed to loose its nut...
The problem is BMW argue the Turbo is more than 2 years old, so they do not want to take it in charge because out of warranty.

Also, considering the timing it has happened, how can i be sure the mechanic who changed the EGR valve is not responsible of the damage? or the "nut" which supposedly went off and which has damaged the turbo, is not simply a part of the EGR valve?

A case has been opened and a claim has been made with BMW Customer service but they don't want to take anything in charge. Invoice to change both turbo is a bit less than 6k, so I don't really know what to do...

Please, let me know if you have been in similar cases or if you have any advice!
Thank you
P.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Seems a big coincidence that turbo failure followed an egr intervention

do you what they actually did with the egr ?

it’s possible that anything dropped into the hole when the egr valve was off the car could easily end up in the turbo …..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regarding the EGR, they initially changed the cooler system. And after a week maybe, the valve got broken (Increasing the rev but not getting more speed) so it has been changed.

Considering the issue happened maybe 5 to 10 miles after I left the garage (when my EGR Valve was changed), I was wondering if the problem was not coming from the garage directly? Is the coincidence not too big to be true?

Thank you
P.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Can you explain - “increasing the Rev but not getting more speed” ??

what’s that got to do with the EGR valve ?

do you have the famous nut ?
Is the turbo really missing it’s nut ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A week or two after they changed the EGR cooler system, I started to feel the car was not behaving normally and I didn't have as much power as usual.
Once, I wanted to push a little bit the car on the highway. I started accelerating strongly, the rpm increased but the car was not accelerating accordingly. I was blocked around 40 mph. If I accelerate progressively, everything ok.

So when I call back the guy from the garage, he told me the valve is broken and doesn't open correctly. so when you accelerate, your engine revolution increase but because the car is not able to evacuate, it doesn't work correctly.

I brought it back and they confirmed it was the EGR Valve. So they changed it. The day I go out from the garage, I accelerate and the turbo went off...

Thank you for your help guys!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Engine revving but no speed increase means slipping clutch ……. What’s this got to do with EGR valve failure ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Digby,

As I said, I don't know much and just trying to understand who has done things wrong to end up with 2 broken turbo actually.

The customer representative in BMW told me the EGR valve didn't open correctly to evacuate the gas, hence why the engine revving but no speed increase.... Do you think it was not related at all?
Please note this was happening only when I was accelerating strongly, but the car was working ok if I accelerated progressively...

Thank you
P.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
also try and get gearbox adaptuons read,,likes of carly or foxwell nt530 or preferably ista,,then send the readouts to zf,,make sure gearbox is ok,,,not envying your predicament,,,also the egr cooler going bad can have weird symptoms like you are experiencing,,hope they did the job correctly

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
So now it gets more crazy

if the egr doesn’t open then the gas goes through the turbo and down the exhaust
If the egr opens then some of the exhaust gas goes through the cooler and back into the intake manifold

so what BMW said is BS….

however, if the egr doesn’t open just right then the car will see a error in the MAF reading and can hesitate a bit

but I thought they replaced the EGR…??

Hello Digby,

As I said, I don't know much and just trying to understand who has done things wrong to end up with 2 broken turbo actually.

The customer representative in BMW told me the EGR valve didn't open correctly to evacuate the gas, hence why the engine revving but no speed increase.... Do you think it was not related at all?
Please note this was happening only when I was accelerating strongly, but the car was working ok if I accelerated progressively...

Thank you
P.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello everyone

Thank you all for your answers.
More than fixing the issue, the idea is more to build my case with BMW to highlight the fact I am not responsible for what happened and it is something they should take in charge.

They initially replaced the EGR Cooler, as there was an alert on the diagnostic... then I got a generic "Drivetrain malfunctions" alert on my dashboard couple of weeks later. I brought it back and they said the problem was the EGR valve. They replaced it. And the day I go out from the garage, after driving couple of miles, accelerating break the turbo which start whistling each time I accelerate...

They informed me a nut from the turbo went away and went through the impeller of the big turbo, damage them, and got suck into the small turbo and damaged it as well.
They pretend the timing is a pure coincidence.

I simply would like to know if:
1. There is potentially a link between the EGR cooler initial issue leading to breaking the turbo?
2. If they potentially did a mistake somewhere and this caused the current failure of the turbo?

Thank you :)
P.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts