BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Been looking out for a nice M3 evo over the past week or so.
Seen 4 now, all very nice cars, well looked after, all drive and go well, milages varing between 60 & 115 K. ALL of the cars i have looked at i have walked way from,:frown The vanos is loud! It is the same Evey time, start car from cold, no noise, go for test drive, come back, lift bonnet vanos makes loud growl as revs drop from 2 or 3k.
Is this the sign of over worn, knackered of just perfectly normal!? Am i right to walk away? Or am i being over cautious.:confused

Any advice please

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
If you get it wrong on the Evo then it's going to cost you as unlike the 3.0 litre M3 they use a dual vanos:frown

If the noise is always present then walk away.

I have known of a chatter on starting the engine when warm and this is normal so long as it's only very brief:thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I've noticed is that on tick over there is no noise, or only brief noise.( I guess this is ok) But when idle is raised and revs fluctuate between 0 & 3k there is a very distinctive vanos rattle/growl/ noise!!

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
What I've noticed is that on tick over there is no noise, or only brief noise.( I guess this is ok) But when idle is raised and revs fluctuate between 0 & 3k there is a very distinctive vanos rattle/growl/ noise!!
Doesn't sound good to me but I don't know that much about the 3.2 I'm afraid:frown

I'll PM Boostist as he may be offer further advice and has an M3 buyers guide IIRC:thumbsup

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Hi all,

Been looking out for a nice M3 evo over the past week or so.
Seen 4 now, all very nice cars, well looked after, all drive and go well, milages varing between 60 & 115 K. ALL of the cars i have looked at i have walked way from,:frown The vanos is loud! It is the same Evey time, start car from cold, no noise, go for test drive, come back, lift bonnet vanos makes loud growl as revs drop from 2 or 3k.
Is this the sign of over worn, knackered of just perfectly normal!? Am i right to walk away? Or am i being over cautious.:confused

Any advice please

hi Steve

Are you sure the noise is the Vanos and not noisy hydraulic lifters?

The 'tappets' on a lot of BMW engines can get a little noisy after a while and they are technically meant to be checked, and adjusted by reshimming every 15k miles iirc.
COuld be wrong on the interval though.

With regards to the vanos

Have a read of this web page for the S50 b32 (m3 evo) vanos units and the service and prevention/repair of them

Its an easy job to change the bolts and filter etc but it wont cure a noisy vanos.. just may prevent it from getting worse.

http://mukerji.co.uk/category/vanos/

(thanks to Neil Mukerji for the write up)

Some further info by someone with a noist dual vanos unit

+1 Good advice, one of the first things I did. The TIS also describes this procedure. The torque is also critical, too much and the system is weakened due to deformed threads, too little and you have vibration failure of the bolts. I believe replacement bolts are also much stronger.
As for the growling etc, I recently stripped down my vanos looking for the source of the noise and any solutions.
This unit is NOT weak in any way other than with the piston seals, and even then only on the exhaust side, which is where I believe the real issue is. Otherwise the contruction (by rolls royce) is very robust.
The piston seals on the inlet side consist of an energizing o-ring with a square section seal over it-standard hydraulics.The good news is that the seal is retained by a separate end peice, the whole piston assy is then retained on the actuating shaft with a nut. The seal is easily replaced, but needs to be specially manufactured, as BMW don't sell them individually.
Now the really bad news is that the exhaust side piston is for all intents a one peice construction. There are two seals of the energiser o-ring type. They cannot be removed without damage. New seals cannot be installed since they can't be bought, and given the depth of the grooves I'm not sure if the piston was a two piece and then assembled.
This is also the side where the seals wear most.
So a solution may be if someone has a spare exhaust piston, it and the seals can be copied on CNC .
Maybe others have more info to share, it would be good to find a reasonable solution, the US have Dr.Vanos.
Was the Vanos noise like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK5hKIcytrc&feature=related

Also, heres the only place I know of that sells new vanos (reconditioned and on exchange basis) for a fraction of the BMW scam price for a new unit

http://www.drvanos.com/us_dual.htm

In summary though, a little vanos growl is to be expected on pretty much all 3.2s (as you have found)

if you can find yourself an Evo that has had a replacement vanos (with OEM BMW invoice to back it up) that would put your mind further at ease.

but to be honest, if the car is a really good one, you could always use a little vanos growl to knock the price down a bit..

And then if you do the service listed in the first link above, its very likely the vanos will keep running sweetly for a looong time :)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yes This is the noise exactly! Although this video is a much worse example!

Evo's do suffer from Vanos noise even when the car is running.

The 3.0 vanos is more or less trouble free but they do suffer from the Vanos Growl but only, usually, upon startup for a sec or 2.

If the growl persists then you have a prob with the vanos and that could be costly.

Its not all doom and gloom though.........up until recently, the vanos units, be it the single or double, could not be serviced/repaired for the euro M3- which meant a new unit from BMW at around 1500 squids + fitting. But now, Dr Vanos over at the US have started reconditioning the euro M3 vanos units.

A customer rolled in with a knackered Evo Vanos, we sent it off to the states- what we got back, was pretty impressive- the unit was "as new" and hardly no vanos noise what so ever and the car got its power back!- not bad for around 400 squids and warranty.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got me an Evo!

I've done it! After travelling the country looking for the car of my dreams, (with no success) it turns out a mate, of my mates girl friends dad is selling exactly what i want! 10 miles down the road. Been to see the car a couple of times now and it's lovely!

A black 1996 M3 Evo saloon, Full BM history on 110k(all the stamps unfortunately no receipts). Body work and interior are spotless and totally standard bar a full exhaust system. And best of all the quietest vanos i ever heard!

Went for a test drive last night, and the deal was done.:D:D:D

First thing on my list is oil and filter change, plan on using Mobil1 0w-40, I've been told this is good stuff can any one confirm?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I've heard that E46 M3's use 10w-60, Due to this a lot of dealers/servicers are using it in E36 M3's and recommending others to do so!? Any one else heard this? should it be used?

As Ian S say's, the 10w/60 is meant for for E46 and E39 M powered cars, not the older S50's.

Some garage's will swear by the 10w/60 for the E36's and other will recommend against it.

Personally........don't use the 10w/60 on the E36's.

We use a 5w/40 fully synthetic, try Silkolene 5w/40 Pro S.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hiya mate you want to run Castrol Edge Sport 0w40 in the 3.2 M3. It's recommended on the Castrol website for our engine. You can look all day long for peoples opinions on what to use and they will vary wildly, but I don't think you'll go wrong acting on Castrols recommendations.

Jon

Castrol also recommend the 10w/60 as a premium grade for the S50 engine!!??

..........so I would not soley rely on them.

But as Jon says- everyone will give you different opinions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.