BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A few weeks ago I was on the motorway and suddenly the ABS light, traction control light and the hand brake light were all on at same time, in addition to low tyre pressure light. Did not noticed any loss of power.
Similar to this photo I found online:
3e6173779a904509307575fb77fd1555.jpg

Checked the tyre pressure in all 4 tyres and the back right or left was 0.4/0.5 bar below what I set it to. Fill the tyres back up then performed a tyre pressure reset.
I even bought a fault code reader but no fault codes were detected.

No issues for three weeks but today when I was driving on the motorway, just the traction control light (yellow triangle light) was flashing a few times with 0.5 seconds between each flash, I noticed a loss of power.
Once the light disappeared a few seconds after, I accelerated but then the traction control light started flashing again then disappeared after a few seconds. This happened about 6 times then the problem disappeared, only noticed a loss of power when it was flashing. I was only trying to accelerate to 70mph from 50mph and the road was dry. About 5 minutes later, the low tyre pressure symbol came on.

Now I know there is a minor leak in the back right or left tyre which I need to get repaired but could that have caused the traction control light to turn on?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Car: BMW 3 Series E90 318i 2006

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’d suggest you’ve got a wheel speed sensor on the way out. I had similar issues only mine wasn’t intermittent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
If your car is throwing faults your car would log them. Maybe what you purchased is not suitable to read the codes.

0.5bar / 7 lbf/in2 is a lot, especially at motorway speeds. This would make your dash light up like that.

Have you had the tyre leak fixed and does it happen when all 4 tyres have equal pressure?

Looks like your car can not determine how fast it is going. Maybe due to tyre pressure or a wheel speed sensor.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had a very similar issue a couple of years ago, my ABS, traction control, handbrake & tyre pressure warning lights would come on intermittently, turned out to be a faulty ABS wheel sensor.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Definately ABS issue, if you changed break pads or discs recently this will happen, you got to do the sensor too, its an easy DIY fix but you need to access the computer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definately ABS issue, if you changed break pads or discs recently this will happen, you got to do the sensor too, its an easy DIY fix but you need to access the computer
I changed 4 brake discs, the pads and the two wear sensors a few months ago, never changed the ABS sensors. Do I have to change 4 ABS sensors or just one?

When you say computer, do you mean a fault code reader device? I'm thinking of buying one. The one I currently have didn't provide me with any information on which sensor is causing the traction control light.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
There’s a small plastic coated sensor that pushes into the wheel hub on each wheel. It measures the speed of the wheel and feeds into ABS, traction control, Cruise control and tyre pressure. On my bm and I guess yours, the tyre pressure is calculated by rolling rotation speed, not the actual pressure. That’s why all these systems ping when you have a failure. (Note the only time my tyre pressure has pinged a genuine warning it took a drop of over 10psi to trigger)

I’ve never heard of these being changed by default unless they fail, but from memory mine was about £15 so it’s not a big cost and I guess some will but I’m on 150k, had the car since 78k and only one of mine had needed changing in all that time.

You really need to access the error code to tell you which one has failed or you’ll have to change 1 by 1 until the warning codes go away I use Carly and a 3rd party WiFi adapter. If you’re near Dorset I can help you with that.

When you replace the broken unit, the ABS etc will all reinstate. You don’t need to reset anything, it’ll just pick up the sensor is working when you drive off and all returns to normal. The error code will be stored, but it has no effect.

One thing I noted on my failed unit was the plastic box where the sensor plugs into the wire from the loom - you can trace it back from the sensor, it’s in the wheel arch - wasn’t shut properly and was full of dirt. Best guess is it had been changed before and badly refitted. I think that’s why mine failed, the connection got wet. As a precaution when I fitted my own, I bound the connection in plastic wrap and sealed both ends of the plastic with duct tape.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There’s a small plastic coated sensor that pushes into the wheel hub on each wheel. It measures the speed of the wheel and feeds into ABS, traction control, Cruise control and tyre pressure. On my bm and I guess yours, the tyre pressure is calculated by rolling rotation speed, not the actual pressure. That’s why all these systems ping when you have a failure. (Note the only time my tyre pressure has pinged a genuine warning it took a drop of over 10psi to trigger)

I’ve never heard of these being changed by default unless they fail, but from memory mine was about £15 so it’s not a big cost and I guess some will but I’m on 150k, had the car since 78k and only one of mine had needed changing in all that time.

You really need to access the error code to tell you which one has failed or you’ll have to change 1 by 1 until the warning codes go away I use Carly and a 3rd party WiFi adapter. If you’re near Dorset I can help you with that.

When you replace the broken unit, the ABS etc will all reinstate. You don’t need to reset anything, it’ll just pick up the sensor is working when you drive off and all returns to normal. The error code will be stored, but it has no effect.

One thing I noted on my failed unit was the plastic box where the sensor plugs into the wire from the loom - you can trace it back from the sensor, it’s in the wheel arch - wasn’t shut properly and was full of dirt. Best guess is it had been changed before and badly refitted. I think that’s why mine failed, the connection got wet. As a precaution when I fitted my own, I bound the connection in plastic wrap and sealed both ends of the plastic with duct tape.

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

I bought a Carista adapter from Amazon for 16 pounds, according to their website, it provides advanced diagnostics (Dealer-level electronic diagnostics). Hopefully that will provide me with the necessary information.
Unfortunately I am in Lancaster which is a bit far from Dorset but thank you for the offer.

I had two tyres repaired over the weekend, front left tyre was 0.3 bar (4.4psi) below and the back right was 0.4 bar (5.8psi) below what I normally set them to, the other two tyres were bang on the exact pressure. I hate potholes! They were last checked exactly 3 weeks ago.

I'll let you know if I have more information on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
I changed 4 brake discs, the pads and the two wear sensors a few months ago, never changed the ABS sensors. Do I have to change 4 ABS sensors or just one?

When you say computer, do you mean a fault code reader device? I'm thinking of buying one. The one I currently have didn't provide me with any information on which sensor is causing the traction control light.

Thanks
Hi aaad1

I meant to say brake wear sensors should be changed, yes you need a fault reader to find out which abs sensor it is. But otherwise its really easy just follow the wire, its bolted behind the caliper and just follow the cable

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to let anyone who have a similar issue know. Fixed the tyres and haven't had any issues since. I used the carista app to clear the error codes. If I get the issue again then I will get the speed sensor changed on the back right wheel.
IMG_20190401_172108.jpg

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just to let anyone who have a similar issue know. Fixed the tyres and haven't had any issues since. I used the carista app to clear the error codes. If I get the issue again then I will get the speed sensor changed on the back right wheel.
View attachment 253419
keep an eye on the tyre pressure, even if you fixed them it could also be a leaky valve, its quite common for the rims to crack

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
Hi Aaad1,

I would say judging by the age of your car, the reluctor ring (toothed wheel that the ABS sensors measures speed from) on the rear right axle has corroded and reduced the air gap between the sensor and ring. This creates intermittent issues with traction control. Well known issues on aging e90 BMWs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
keep an eye on the tyre pressure, even if you fixed them it could also be a leaky valve, its quite common for the rims to crack
Thanks, will be checking the pressure of my tyres this weekend (3 weeks since they were fixed).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Aaad1,

I would say judging by the age of your car, the reluctor ring (toothed wheel that the ABS sensors measures speed from) on the rear right axle has corroded and reduced the air gap between the sensor and ring. This creates intermittent issues with traction control. Well known issues on aging e90 BMWs.
Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind if I get the problem again on the rear back wheel. I haven't had the issue for nearly a month now, I'm a bit low on money and time lately.

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
The unofficial cheap method is to buy a new sensor and when you secure it to the fixing, you put a washer in so its a mm or two away from the driveshaft than it would otherwise be without this :]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’d suggest you’ve got a wheel speed sensor on the way out. I had similar issues only mine wasn’t intermittent.

Did you have to replace all wheel sensors ?
I had the same issue on my 330ci 2002 yesterday.
I've not yet checked for error codes.

Mines intermittent

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

A few weeks ago I was on the motorway and suddenly the ABS light, traction control light and the hand brake light were all on at same time, in addition to low tyre pressure light. Did not noticed any loss of power.
Similar to this photo I found online:
View attachment 253299

Checked the tyre pressure in all 4 tyres and the back right or left was 0.4/0.5 bar below what I set it to. Fill the tyres back up then performed a tyre pressure reset.
I even bought a fault code reader but no fault codes were detected.

No issues for three weeks but today when I was driving on the motorway, just the traction control light (yellow triangle light) was flashing a few times with 0.5 seconds between each flash, I noticed a loss of power.
Once the light disappeared a few seconds after, I accelerated but then the traction control light started flashing again then disappeared after a few seconds. This happened about 6 times then the problem disappeared, only noticed a loss of power when it was flashing. I was only trying to accelerate to 70mph from 50mph and the road was dry. About 5 minutes later, the low tyre pressure symbol came on.

Now I know there is a minor leak in the back right or left tyre which I need to get repaired but could that have caused the traction control light to turn on?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Car: BMW 3 Series E90 318i 2006

Thanks
Did you get to the bottom of the issue ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts