BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering; :confused
what do you guys think about the new M3, in comparison to the 335 ?

The 335 list is about £17-20k less then a M3,
i think that for the money you could easily tune a 335's chassis & the power would be a breeze with the turbo's.:hihi

Does anyone like the idea of the 335 being tomorow's 328 for the pre-owned enthusiasts.:cool

Wouldn't it be fun to make an :shifty:M3 owner think there is something wrong with their car when you out accelerate them on a motorway.:lol

i'm talking long term plans, i'll stick to my e46 320d for now, maybe after the credit crunch eh.

i hope threads in the right place.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i think the majority will always go with the underdog, if you done a count of the different engine sizes the majority will have smaller cc's the thing with tuning is its a long haul game, you start of small and slowly work up untill the power just isnt enough and then you upgrade, if we could all afford m3's then there wouldnt even be a market for the smaller capacity cars. id love a m3 but in reality im always going to be a 328 guy, 1k for a 328 or 4k for a m3 its pretty obvious what im going for.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hmm.

I think personally, I'd go for the M3 myself. If price is an issue, get a low mileage one that's already taken the dealer depreciation hit. The thing is, you can always tune the M3 too, should you choose to. Plus, it has the aesthetic differences too, the bonnet louvres, etc. Probably nicer inside too.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I am fortunate enought to own a 335i (albeit a heavy one with the roof mechanism). I tried an M3 with the double clutch box last autumn as a possible change was on the cards.

The M3 was a great car, faster, handled better by 10-20%. Interior pretty much the same. I came to the conclusion that at that time the difference in price was greater than the difference in car. The 335i is a more relaxing everyday drive as the torque is immense, the M3 demanded more concentration and work to drive.

I am sure you can tune the 335i to get towards M3 performance, you can certainly get the interior to match, but handling wise I think that extra 10-20% would be the most difficult/costly to extract.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Not sure how the new V8 M3 performs, but I guess Markvorny's summed it up well....

An M3 will always be an M3, but I'd personally have the 335i (even in stock guise) as an everyday car. The 335i will be a case of a good few hundred quids to get a decent quality ECU remap, speed wise that's all it will need (if you feel the need for more).

As for tuning a 335i... where's that video........ (335i remapped vs M3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW_UAh91Xus&feature=PlayList&p=A4D0173E53E1CEF6&index=32

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
i was just wondering; :confused
what do you guys think about the new M3, in comparison to the 335 ?

The 335 list is about £17-20k less then a M3,
i think that for the money you could easily tune a 335's chassis & the power would be a breeze with the turbo's.:hihi

Does anyone like the idea of the 335 being tomorow's 328 for the pre-owned enthusiasts.:cool

Wouldn't it be fun to make an :shifty:M3 owner think there is something wrong with their car when you out accelerate them on a motorway.:lol

i'm talking long term plans, i'll stick to my e46 320d for now, maybe after the credit crunch eh.

i hope threads in the right place.
Good point.
In America loads of 335 i owners are running more power than the M3 version.

its the beauty of a turbocharged engine.....more boost, bit more fuel = lots more power :thumbsup

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd had the same choice and decided on the 335i, The M3 was a stonking car and i'd have one in a heart beat but the mrs thought it too harsh. She uses it most days i have a 4x4 for work :frown The 335 seemed better at pottering about town etc and not far enough off the pace on decent roads to justify an extra 10k-12k for the M3 IMO.
Having said all that an M car is an M car and if it was just my weekend toy as was originally planned until she stuck her nose in M3 all the way.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've had both 02 m3, m3 csl and 57plate 335i, m3 csl is just mind blowing. Mine was running 384bhp remapped with supersprint manifolds, hi-flow cats and system fitted by previous owner as he tracked car. Very tempted to buy it back from my friend i sold it to he's selling it now lost his job. No other 3series comes close to csl yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a new E46 M3 and looked at buying the new E92 M3 but the difference in performace and styling between the M3 and the 335i does not justify the difference in price.

Either new or used, go for the 335i, its a great car for the money.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think it depends on what you want from a car - if an every day car then the M3 may be hard work compared the the 335. If it is going to be a toy, then the M3 all the way. Either way you'll get an awesome car...

I'm in the same situation - thinking of trading up to an M3 (E46) but may just go for a 330 and tune it or possibly an E46 Alpina B3 as I do a 70 mile commute very day and want something reasonably comfy / lazy, but still quick if I want to play.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I think it depends on what you want from a car - if an every day car then the M3 may be hard work compared the the 335. If it is going to be a toy, then the M3 all the way. Either way you'll get an awesome car...

I'm in the same situation - thinking of trading up to an M3 (E46) but may just go for a 330 and tune it or possibly an E46 Alpina B3 as I do a 70 mile commute very day and want something reasonably comfy / lazy, but still quick if I want to play.
Alpina would get my vote, very special and unique on the road and will hold its value better than a 330i. You get the auto/shift button g/boxes too.

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
It's an age old argument, E30 325 or E30 M3, E36 328 or M3 etc.

The M3's are always going to be better setup in terms of brakes, suspension etc. There is something special about a M car. Whether this justifies the extra money is down to you. If you have to ask the question, the answer is it probably doesn't.

Alpina makes some pretty tempting alternatives, I like the saying that an Alpina is the thinking man's M3!

Don't get me wrong, I have a M3 and love it but it's not "worth" the extra money over the 328!

I still trust BMW when it comes to designing cars. I am sure they have setup the 335 perfectly. You maybe able to get big power and improve the handling on the 335. However, it will then crash over bumps, use shed loads of fuel and with questionable effects on the engines durability. Resale might be an issue as well.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
It's an age old argument, E30 325 or E30 M3, E36 328 or M3 etc..
I am sure Harry Hill can sort the answer .... FIGHT !

The M3's are always going to be better setup in terms of brakes, suspension etc. There is something special about a M car. Whether this justifies the extra money is down to you. If you have to ask the question, the answer is it probably doesn't.

Alpina makes some pretty tempting alternatives, I like the saying that an Alpina is the thinking man's M3.
Don't get me wrong, I have a M3 and love it but it's not "worth" the extra money over the 328!

I still trust BMW when it comes to designing cars. I am sure they have setup the 335 perfectly. You maybe able to get big power and improve the handling on the 335. However, it will then crash over bumps, use shed loads of fuel and with questionable effects on the engines durability. Resale might be an issue as well.
Spot on opinion and advice. Have to say the ride is one big advantage the M3 has over the 335i from my experience. Could just be the age old RFT / non-RFT issue too,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.