BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my first post here. My friend recently bought one of these superchargers from ebay and fitted it to his 1.2l Corsa. He works in a garage and has access to a rolling road so he tried it after installation and found an increase of 7% BHP and 12% Torque.

Im considering getting one myself now that he has shown me proof they work because I've also read that they dont work in the past. I am just wondering if the same size unit will provide enough air to give me a boost similar to my friends as my engine is more than twice the capacity.

All help is greatly appreciated.

The supercharger unit im looking at is located here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170586551318&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I smell a sales scam...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do a search-we get these questions all the time-these things don't work.You'll get better results if you stick a hairdryer onto your air intake.

Ebay seller feedback score of 0...coincindence I think not.....Still if your friend has one then use his and see what a difference it makes

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Hi guys, my first post here. My friend recently bought one of these superchargers from ebay and fitted it to his 1.2l Corsa. He works in a garage and has access to a rolling road so he tried it after installation and found an increase of 7% BHP and 12% Torque.

Im considering getting one myself now that he has shown me proof they work because I've also read that they dont work in the past. I am just wondering if the same size unit will provide enough air to give me a boost similar to my friends as my engine is more than twice the capacity.

All help is greatly appreciated.

The supercharger unit im looking at is located here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170586551318&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Thanks guys.
show us proof:rofl
because they dont work.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Waste of time, proven that they don't work. Even the Vendors here who REALLY know their onions will tell you that they are a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do a search-we get these questions all the time-these things don't work.You'll get better results if you stick a hairdryer onto your air intake.

Ebay seller feedback score of 0...coincindence I think not.....Still if your friend has one then use his and see what a difference it makes
Yeah he said I can try it when hes off work in a couple of weeks, until then im going to save my pennies.

I have read a few threads and it seems to be 50/50 whether they are of any use or not. Gonna keep fishing for more info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eddie do you have proof that they do not? I mean not to be rude but the point of this thread was to get factual information backed up with some physics/logic or better still first hand experience. Not simply a troll statement which offers nothing to the topic.

I am basing my assumptions on what I have saw on a variety of forums from other users, I understand these units are not all the same and some will operate differently/product different results however the feedback I have saw seems to be split. If you could link me to some information that can provide me with a definitive answer I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I realise it isnt gonna be giving me a super power increase like a proper charger but I understand the theory and I see no reason as to why an increase in power would not be achieved providing the unit can provide sufficient air flow?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have called a close friend who used to set up my old rally car and in the last 6 months he has had 7 differect cars come in with these fitted and none of them had any power gains at all.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
A problem with this "Tornado" is both a turbo and supercharger are "connected" to the engine, so when you press the accelerator down on a turbo car it opens the throttle body flap up and the engine receives more air, due to the airflow meter sensing the increased speed of the air travelling past the hotwire it sends a signal to the DME(ECU) which then increases fuelling at the injectors, and so when the revs increase the spent gases travel out of the exhaust and spin the turbo up progressively quicker giving you more boost and a quicker charge of air travelling past the MAF, and so on until maximum safe boost is achieved and so the wastegate releases the pressure(or in the case of a VVT the flaps flatten out), while all of this is going on the DME is controlling the fuelling and the ignition timing e.t.c (it has been mapped to measure and understand certain signals from the engine sensors). So without now explaining a superchargers operation roughly also, the point I am making is this "Tornado" isn't "connected" to the engine, there is nothing to tell it when to spin up fast or slow down, so it will always be pointlessly blowing air past the MAF at a rate that isn't needed, which the MAF will then tell the DME to increase the fuelling pointlessly at idle or low revs, literally ruining your MPG and smooth driving operation of your engine and the countless hours that the boffins at BMW spent calibrating/programming all of the parameters from the engine sensors to work with the DME.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A problem with this "Tornado" is both a turbo and supercharger are "connected" to the engine, so when you press the accelerator down on a turbo car it opens the throttle body flap up and the engine receives more air, due to the airflow meter sensing the increased speed of the air travelling past the hotwire it sends a signal to the DME(ECU) which then increases fuelling at the injectors, and so when the revs increase the spent gases travel out of the exhaust and spin the turbo up progressively quicker giving you more boost and a quicker charge of air travelling past the MAF, and so on until maximum safe boost is achieved and so the wastegate releases the pressure(or in the case of a VVT the flaps flatten out), while all of this is going on the DME is controlling the fuelling and the ignition timing e.t.c (it has been mapped to measure and understand certain signals from the engine sensors). So without now explaining a superchargers operation roughly also, the point I am making is this "Tornado" isn't "connected" to the engine, there is nothing to tell it when to spin up fast or slow down, so it will always be pointlessly blowing air past the MAF at a rate that isn't needed, which the MAF will then tell the DME to increase the fuelling pointlessly at idle or low revs, literally ruining your MPG and smooth driving operation of your engine and the countless hours that the boffins at BMW spent calibrating/programming all of the parameters from the engine sensors to work with the DME.
So what you saying is that it won't work then............:lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts