BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am on the way to eradicating it. I made up a 25% solution of ammonia, one of the few things that dissolves nicotine and using a trigger spray, lightly wetted the front carpet, letting it soak for a few minutes before dabbing it off with a moistened cloth. It seems to be working so next week, I shall take out the seats and give the whole carpet a good going over. I shall do the headlining as well. It will be a much nicer car if it doesn't stink!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Have a look at Autosmart Bio Brisk. Its designed to get rid of smells like this.

About £12 per litre from your rep. You dilute it so a little goes a long way.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the idea, I have used their products before with success but I am trying to get rid of the thing that is causing the smell. Nothing else is likely to work unfortunately.Tar and nicotine need to be dissolved and removed or you will never get rid of them. Ammonia wipedown of the plastics and glass before dissolving the muck in the carpets which had been thoroughly cleaned by a valeter the day I collected the car.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If possible I'd remove the centre console also. As I expect there might be ash and butt ends sat underneath there also.

Best thing to do is strip as much out of the interior and clean what you can with suitable chemicals

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No butt ends but I have already planned to remove all but the front carpet. I am sure that the headlining and carpets will be the root cause of the issue

·
Forum Chatbot
2,648 Posts
Vax machine?

Shake and vac.

I'd never buy a car that stank of tobacco. Prolly in the the ceiling materials too. Clean the ashtray too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cor! I really hadn't thought of cleaning out the ashtray. Should I do the back one as well?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sprayed the carpet with ammonia and sponged it with Flash. Covered the floor with bicarbonate of soda. Which is pullling stains out. A friend has suggested that rolling up a large denomination banknote and putting it in the ashtray would be likely to get the carpets thoroughly cleaned for free but I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once I got home, I hoovered up all the white powder, washed the interior plastics down again and then treated the leather seats to a very fierce and unsuitable cleaner used near neat and than washed off with plenty of water. After the sun dried the seats out, I covered the leather with neatsfoot oil which will seep into the seams and imperfections. In an hour or so, I shall go down and give it a sniff but for the moment I can't smell tobacco and the car has never looked so clean inside.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seats soaked up three doses of neatsfoot oil and are becoming supple. Smell no longer there.

·
Registered
220D (2018)
111 Posts
Others: beware of using Neatsfoot

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, complete bollocks. I have used it successfully for thirty years, predominantly for restoring the original straps of vintage watches. Opinions vary according to what you have for sale. If it were no good, how come it has been used for hundreds of years? I shall stick to what works.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, complete bollocks. I have used it successfully for thirty years, predominantly for restoring the original straps of vintage watches. Opinions vary according to what you have for sale. If it were no good, how come it has been used for hundreds of years? I shall stick to what works.
Not all leathers are the same so it may or may not be OK. Not much help I know (jumps off fence).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nothing to do with the leather which is spray painted anyway but it does soak in to the cracks and splits, replenishing the leather. The people selling mink and snake oils suggest that neatsfoot oil is acid and will rot the stitching. Complete unadulterated Boris Johnson standard piffle and lies. Does anybody think that it would routinely be employed on multi thousand pound saddles? It is made out of the animals that provide the leather, after all. Has worked on the family Bentley for about seventy years so far.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I don't give a toss because I know better and am neither frightened nor ashamed to say so. Fortunately this will be a short term car as it is quite frankly nowhere near as good as its enthusiasts believe it to be so I shall run it for another month then get rid of it to buy something that isn't transport for pretentious chavs.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Must admit, I've always tended to just unthinkingly go for saddle soap and then tack conditioner on the basis that the saddles seem to like it and the cars are all still intact and looking good, one of which with nigh on 200k now.

That said, I suspect the biggest thing is to make sure that you clean the grit/muck off so it doesn't get ground into the leather face over time. And maybe how you get in and out of the vehicle without putting stress on the bolsters. That latter part seems particularly the case on the X cars as they're higher up and do lend themselves to perching and pivoting on the squab bolster.

I suspect that whatever cleaning and/or conditioning regime one uses it's going to be a lot better than doing nothing or using JIF. Which is probably the unfortunate fate of a very large proportion of cars on the road!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts