BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 BMW 320i SE Coupe reg ML07 AVN

Hi Guys,

Been offered for sale an immaculate 320i coupe...but...goes into limp mode after a while, switch it off, start it back up and drive and itl go for a few miles and then back into limp mode, it's a part exchange vehicle and the garage doesn't want to get involved in repairs, their opinion is the timing chain is at fault...So what I would like to know is...well basically your thoughts on the matter, also I would like to know if the timing chain is at the front or the back of the engine..the engine model designation and costs for such work to be done, or perhaps you might think it is something else...I read that these timing chains might be done by BMW as a brake check FOC if that makes any sense, I had a look on the BMW website (recall section) put in the reg number but it comes back as there are no recalls on this car...mileage is 110,000, it's been a while since i have been on here but I'm a bit of a BMW nut, i've got an e39 530i se, an e60 525i and a G31 M sport ...all my cars are tip top...This coupe looks great, I wouldn't mind trying to save it if i could, I can probably get it for £1600.00 then say another £100.00 for transport costs as i wouldnt drive it the way it is...So what do you guys think..

thanks in advance,

Ian ..

·
Registered
123 Posts
The chain is at the front on the n43 engines

Did the garage give you any more info on why they think it’s the chain ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kieron, no sadly not, they did say possible timing chain issues...and im sure if they thought it was worth fixing they would, however it's probably a bit old now and perhaps that's why they are not interested, the garage just wants to get rid basically...Now I know the engine code i can look at the worst case scenario, (2nd hand engine costs). Im in Scotland the car is in England and it's a bit of a gamble I admit but this car has lovely lines and Im quite taken with it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was after the dreaded n47 engine a while ago and got in contact with a breakers in Scotland he wanted £300 delivered. May be worth a call I’ll find the number for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kieron,

looking on a well known auction site its about £500.00 to supply and fit a new timing chain..recon engine fitted about £1400.00...I could end up with a nice motor for about £2200.00 if it is the chain...I would change the chain if i got a 2nd hand engine though...I'd like to try and save the original engine if that was a viable option. I'm in Ayrshire so if anybody knows anybody that has a good understanding of this engine and could repair it please pass on your details..I have a good mechanic but he isn't familiar with this engine although I'm sure he could work it out...It might be cheaper and better though to give the car to someone who has a vast knowledge about this engine and has done all of this before many times...and knows the car like the back of their hand..£300.00 delivered for that engine is pretty good I think, the only thing with buying from a scrapyard is you really never know what you are getting...you could go to all the expense of having a chain installed and having it fitted into the car and then discover after fitting ..its knackered...so im kinda hoping to have the original engine repaired, that would be my first option i think...

·
Registered
148 Posts
You need to check it for fault codes. From your description it doesn't sound like a timing chain issue to me. I would suspect an engine sensor problem.
You can use the secret on board menu to access fault code. How to is here, EndTuning - BMW Check Control CCID Codes

·
Registered
148 Posts
I believe the 2.0i petrol engines commonly suffer from High pressure fuel pump, & injector problems

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi paul,
thanks for that, I've had BMW,s for years and never knew that...to be honest they say the problem is an intermittent misfire and just that alone made me think it might not be the timing chain... however it could be the chain especially if the misfire moves around from one cylinder to another as the chain might of stretched, I've got my own diagnostic equipment, I use Delphi and Wurth and I have a dedicated BMW tool as well, funny thing is I'm always helping other people out and on this one occasion im kinda stuck myself unless I dig deeper into my bank balance as I have just been looking at car transportation costs, I remember you could get a car transported as a back load on a multi vehicle transporter for about £100.00 to £150.00...prices are on the up, I'm getting quotes for nearly double that which is putting me off a bit as that is putting the cost of buying and having the car delivered to near on £2000.00 and that's quite a risk on a motor thats got issues...then of course there is the repairs on top of that...on a well known auction site there is a genuine BMW timing chain kit at sensible money and i don't mind the costs involved to have that fitted if it was needed.

I think i need to get the transportation cost at a much more reasonable rate and then get back to the garage and hammer out a deal and I'm quite keen to do that ...just wondering if anyone on here knows anybody reputable that could carefully pick up a motor near Mansfield and deliver to Near Cumnock in Ayrshire Scotland for pound notes in the hand :) that would be of enormous help if i'm honest, then I suppose it's a matter of diagnosing the fault and keeping you guys in the loop....anyway I hope it all works out. I like saving cars if i can...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the car, managed to do a deal including delivery for £1850.00 which wasn't bad, the garage owner hasn't really got a clue and the mechanic is vauxhall trained and knows nothing about BMWs....so the story is now that the engine runs rough when the coolant light comes on, it goes into limp mode and the engine might have a slight misfire...now according to this guys mechanic he says it's the timing chain that's causing the problem, I asked if the timing chain was rattling or if there was any odd sounds from the engine and the guy say no, runs lovely right up until the engine gets warm, then the coolant light comes on and then the engine starts running rough and he says goes into limp mode...

so what do you guys reckon it is...I cant see it being the timing chain ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sure you'll get it sorted.
As I said, it doesn't sound like a timing chain problem to me. Misfire is more likely to be a coil pack or injector. It's the N47 2.0 diesel that has the timing chain issues sounds like their mechanic isn't experienced with BMW's.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any idea why the coolant warning iluminates and ...then... it starts to run rough but only when the engine is warm, apparently when its cold it runs great...??

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think i'm on the right track, so engine runs great when cold and then shuts down when it gets hot, maybe too hot, and that could be the issue...I'm guessing water pump / thermostat, i really need to see the coolant temp when it goes into limp mode. ideally I think around 90c would be normal operating temperature...Im just hoping there is no engine damage from overheating ..

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm assuming you checked the coolant levels or for air pockets? Then check all hoses are warm. Otherwise there could be a noticable difference if pump is broke. Yes you will warp your engine if you keep overheating it

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm assuming you checked the coolant levels or for air pockets? Then check all hoses are warm. Otherwise there could be a noticable difference if pump is broke. Yes you will warp your engine if you keep overheating it

Hi, I have not got the car yet, I have bought it from a dealer in England and their mechanic is Vauxhall trained, basically it's a vehicle the company does not want and has no interest in, however their own mechanic thought all the issues were related to the timing chain which I find odd, yes I know how to check the electrical water pump and let the pump self bleed the system ...it will be the first thing I check, if it's bad il be changing the Pump and the thermostat right away.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi, yeah i know like intermittent misfires if its the chain and if the battery is goosed that can cause a whole lot of error codes too...thing is when i first enquired the salesman at the garage told me that their vauxhall trained mechanic with little or no knowledge about BMWs had diagnosed the problem as the timing chain...and he may be right...he actually told me that the mechanic that looked at the car had no experience with BMW, on another call to the garage though and just chatting away I asked if there was any rattling or unusual noises from the engine and he said NO...runs lovely up until it gets hot and for the first time he then mentioned that a coolant light had come on so I thought it must be the low coolant light...but I think he means the engine overheat warning light...and now im thinking its maybe the pump or the stat or both...i'll be changing both if it is that. If I'm honest I don't think the guy has a clue...il know more in 5 minutes of looking at it, I've either bought a pig or hopefully something that I can fix for under £500 quid and it'll be a good car..I'm used to working on straight sixes, M52/M54..best engines ever in my opinion...

what do you reckon to the wheels, genuine BMW or not...

cheers,

Ian

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your problem is Low Coolant Light...you need to check the coolant level asap and if it's low then top it up. But you also need to check for leaks and other errors. Try to install INPA on yohr laptop and get a K+DCAN CABLE!!!!

If the engine gets too hot then I'm assuming he's going to shutdown.

The problem with misfires works out like this:

If your battery is less than 12V then is going to cause problems and misreadings on the sensors and can also damage your Ignition Coils.

The possible causes for misfires are:

Ignition Coils Wiring > Ignition Coils > Spark Plugs > Injectors.

My BMW had misfires on Cylinder 3..and I asked a garage (when I bought, I took straight away to a garage cos was my first BMW) to change the spark plugs...after they changed, when I got home I then had misfire also on Cylinder 2.

So I end up buying 4x Ignition Coils from Bosch (eBay), 4 x High Energy NGK Spark Plugs (10£ each on amazon) and I end up cleaning the injectors one by one (don't forget to mark them) and I replaced the rocker cover gasket since I had a leak.

And voila problem fixed. But this week my cylinder 3 had misfired when I put the engine cover on...so I'm assuming is something to do with the wiring that goes to the ignition coil.

I had several errors with INPA and ISTA+ and One of them was Limp Mode...this was because it had 2 cylinders off!

Let me know if this helps.. otherwise you can pm me and I'll tell you my story with my car...it's the same model as yours..but I got tricked when I bought it.

Cheers

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine needs the thermostat too..but water pump is working and coolant is at maximum.

Check the coolant level first...and let me know

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 60 Posts