BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone changed the timing chain or has it failed on anyone resulting in catastrophic engine failure? I heard it happened and some recommend chain change at 130k. any thoughts on this?

Can you share what milage you have?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I looked into this and the key is frequent oil changes as far as I could ascertain. My 635 is at 140 thousand miles and I change the oil every ten thousand miles. My local Indy said they have known them to break but it is generally on poorly serviced cars.
Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
493 Posts
Do you have the M57 engine? if so I believe it's around £670 including 1 years warranty as the chain is at the front of the engine. If I'm not mistaken the chain should be changed around 100k but I honestly can't remember where I heard that and I'd agree frequent oil changes would help pro-long the life of the chain but as you probably know they can just go, or if you're lucky it will stretch first making it rattle which is your life saver. Personally, I'd put it on your list of to do jobs, assuming you look after the engine with regular oil changes a chain swap at 140/150k should see you to 300k assuming you keep it that long lol.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Do you have the M57 engine? if so I believe it's around £670 including 1 years warranty as the chain is at the front of the engine. If I'm not mistaken the chain should be changed around 100k but I honestly can't remember where I heard that and I'd agree frequent oil changes would help pro-long the life of the chain but as you probably know they can just go, or if you're lucky it will stretch first making it rattle which is your life saver. Personally, I'd put it on your list of to do jobs, assuming you look after the engine with regular oil changes a chain swap at 140/150k should see you to 300k assuming you keep it that long lol.
I thought about doing this, however to remove the timing cover you have to remove the oil pan which means dropping the subframe. They don't make it easy doing on the driveway/road.
The cost for genuine parts was around £830 including oil pump chain, sprockets etc.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
i have an e46 m57 tu engine,,on 153 k miles,,and ive never heard of one chain snapping/stretching..im sure its probably happened as nothing is infallible...my e90 is on 122 k miles and i do not intend to do the chain and im probably keeping till its dead,,its had frequent oil changes as has my e46..but if it aint broke,,in this case id leave it...how many chains have snapped? and how many on m57 compared to n57

·
Registered
493 Posts
i have an e46 m57 tu engine,,on 153 k miles,,and ive never heard of one chain snapping/stretching..im sure its probably happened as nothing is infallible...my e90 is on 122 k miles and i do not intend to do the chain and im probably keeping till its dead,,its had frequent oil changes as has my e46..but if it aint broke,,in this case id leave it...how many chains have snapped? and how many on m57 compared to n57
A quick Google searched returned some like this and more:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1128306

And it is correct that these engines don't suffer timing chain issues a common problem but it could happen. That's why I tried to word it to the op that i'd put it on my to do list as opposed to being something urgent like the n57, sure it could last the life of the engine but if you intend to keep the car for quite some time the on a percentage scale I'd be quite happy to assume the new timing chain would outlast the engine. I don't think there's a right or wrong regardless of the OPS choice but on the smaller chance that it does go while driving it's probably not worth fixing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi m8 I had 130k on clock and chain broke on motorway so the aa reckons. had it towed to house where its been for three months. couldn't start engine, battery went completely dead now struggling to get battery out to charge. nightmare.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi m8 I had 130k on clock and chain broke on motorway so the aa reckons. had it towed to house where its been for three months. couldn't start engine, battery went completely dead now struggling to get battery out to charge. nightmare.
Referring to your thread, your car has the 2L n47 engine which is prone to snapping chains, the completely different older generation m47/57 engined cars don't suffer from this problem. As others have said above, any issues will almost certainly be because of a lack of oil changes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts