BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've owned my 323i for nearly a year now, I'm thinking time for an upgrade... M3 time!:) evo or not. doesn't really bother me to much. just got to be mint with all the history etc. If any one has any advice I'd love to hear it. I've read though the m3 buying guide, very helpful.:thumbsup

I've looked at a couple of evo's this weekend, i notice that one only had one cable coming from the throttle linkage. where as the others had two? I wondered if maybe it wasn't an evo(as advertised) but it is 6 speed.

Does anyone know why some seem to have one cable where as others have two?

See pics i robbed from autotrader, both cars are evo's

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So to all you E36 M3 owners out there, I really what one, kind of sh!*ing my self about running costs, how much do they cost to run????????? should i go evo?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
One of my aunts has had an 98' 3.2 since it was 6 months old. For the past few years its become a garage ornament and she tends to use her 307 HDI for pretty much everything. I can't even remember the last time the M3 was out!

To now she hasn't needed anything outside routine servicing doing, but I know some gaskets were done during BMW inspection services that got picked up etc. BMW servicing can be costly, even for basic services so just bare this in mind.

Brakes are VERY expensive compared to your usual E36 models. IIRC, we got hold of some front OE discs from ECP a few years ago at circa £113 each! Probably not much more @ BMW nowadays. Aftermarket brake pads like Textar aren't too bad, but the OE M brakes from BMW perform well so my aunts stuck with those on every occasion.

Rear tyres in 245/40/17 are a bit dearer due to them being a specific Merc & BMW size, and you wouldn't put any budget's on would you????

Insurance is another aspect, very touchy on M3's. Some companies may offer lower quotes where the policy seems acceptable on first glance, but when anything needs to be done, even a windscreen replacement, you'll be stuffed! Get yourself some detailed quotes!

Really if you have to worry about running costs on such cars, you shouldn't consider one, but do expect that many will need work outside routine servicing to keep them running right even if they have FSH.

Many regard the 3.0ltr car as the stronger day to day and trouble free car. However the 3.2 Evo is more desireable on the used market. I would not even bother with anything without a full reputable history.

Ian S has posted a great thread re: M3 Vanos, worth a look.

I most likely will end up with one soon too, but I will be specifically looking for a 1-2 owner, 99' model with FBMSH so will be happy to pay for that. Regardless of miles i'm looking to have to spend the following upon purchase;

- new cranksfat, camshaft & 02 sensors (imo best to get them done after 60,000miles).
- strip and clean injectors and fit new o-rings
- BMW Inspection II service regardless.
- rocker cover gasket (i'd do this for the sake of getting it done)
- brakes (i doubt i'll find one with OE bmw brakes in as new working order)
- suspension overhaul (usual E36 thing).

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Regardless of miles i'm looking to have to spend the following upon purchase;

- new crankshaft, camshaft
Would have to be a pig if you expect that :eek

Camshaft to valve clearances need to be done routinely on a M3 though every so often.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Would have to be a pig if you expect that :eek

Camshaft to valve clearances need to be done routinely on a M3 though every so often.
I meant sensors! :) its just the way I am, I'd rather change these at least I know they are done and should not be an area for concern should any poor running or other issues develop.

·
BFuk Moderator
244 Posts
would be very rare to need cam and crank sensors replaced, knock sensors however do fail after a period of time, and TPS is supposed to be replaced at inspection 2.
I have found my 3 litre to be virtually problem free, replaced hoses to ICV and plugs etc, only adjusted valves once in 100,000kms that I have owned it, and they were almost all still within spec. I have new knock sensors, intake temp sensor and 02 sensors here to go in now, after 5 years of hard driving, much of it on racetracks or towing cars on trailers, I thought I would give it a birthday

·
Administrator
4,218 Posts
So to all you E36 M3 owners out there, I really what one, kind of sh!*ing my self about running costs, how much do they cost to run????????? should i go evo?
Like you I was looking at a late 1999 example, specifically a couple of GT2's. However, I decided to get a cheaper one so I would be less upset if I got a big bill on it!

I have had mine just over a week and I can confirm they cost shed loads to run! Even small things like spark plugs carry the M tax - from BMW they are £11 each! All the parts I have ordered for it have been at least X3 what the 328 sport was.

Insurance is twice what my 328 sport was. Fuel economy is a lot heavier around down but pretty good on a run, probably due to the sixth gear. You have to use 98 ron fuel as well. And finally you have to have a couple of grand lying around incase something bad happens as they tend to do things like spinning shells. To be fair a turbo failure on a modern diesel is going to cost a bit!

The performance is blisteringly quick. I was also surprised at how well it picks up in any gear. I am glad I have owned one and intend to keep it for a bit but I wouldn't say it was worth twice the running costs of my 328. The 328 is also a lot more usable, the M3 gets you into silly speeds far too quickly.

Ian

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's an M3 it's going to cost money to run, don't buy one and not maintain it. If your used to running a performance car then it'll be no surprise to you that it takes looking after.

All the basics are the same get as much history as you can etc etc, make sure you also drive as many as you can. Decide what spec/colour combo you want and hang on for that too!

I don't know what prices are at the moment, i bought mine just over a year ago, 73k, full history, BMW approved used in 2002 ( it was sold then for 22k!!! - receipt was in the history!!!) with as many options as I wanted for just over 5k...which I thought was a steel!!!

You'll never regret getting it by far the best handling and balanced car I've ever driven, first thing to invest in i'd say is suspension, x-brace, coilovers, bushings over-haul.

Most important................ENJOY!!!!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
:Thanks everyone from the words of wisdom:thumbsup, I'm going to keep a look out for a good one, got to be perfect!! she's out there some where.............:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
they are an awesome car to have, u will not regret it, but be careful cos even the nice looking ones with a fsh can still be pigs. def look at how many owners ( dont be put off by up to 5 or 6) stay away if its changed hands nearly every year!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts