BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just amazed at the lack of basic communication skills that some dealers have towards customers.

I had sourced a perfectly spec'd 335i's today & was just horrified at the attitude of the sales department. They were only prepared to knock off £500 & was then handed over to a so called sales manager who was a complete imbecile! I didn't ask to speak to this arrogant idiot who began to give me a lecture on the current second hand car market. He had the audacity to say that the car was so good, he was even contemplating increasing the price another £1000. Obviously the dealer wasn't competent enough to get it right in the first place!!

Ok I digress. I fully understand that dealers will always seek the best deal. Who wouldn't? And to be honest I am happy to wait in any event for the next potential vehicle. What I object to is the manner which dealers speak to customers. Honestly, why can't they just "talk" to customers rather then treat them like complete idiots. I am really pi**ed off with my experience today & just re-inforces how sh*t some dealers are. :mad

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
It's easy to be a succesful salesman in a buoyant market. This current situation will sort wasters like this out. Take your business elsewhere, someone will want it.

Just to reinforce what the market is like, my local dealer showed me how much he had written down his 335i's over the last 3 months, and I trust him, I have known him for years. it was enough to make me as an owner cry. But for you, it's great news, keep looking or give the dealer principal a call !!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well i am in the motor trade and let me tell you we deal with enough punters wanting to buy a car and knock £1000's of pounds off ,yes it gets to you after a abit.The cars are not free we have to buy them.Plus what his told you is right he could put it up a grand and might still sell it,The second hand car market is through the roof at the moment,cars are making an average £1000 more than 4 weeks ago,I had a customer complain about a car a few weeks ago after giving him a discount because he wanted to buy it with no guarantee,so thought it better i giving him his money back then sold it for a £1300 more and the guy is very happy with it,market is on the way up we never had it so good,interest rates down fuel prices down,most people are better off by far

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I can fully understand where you are comming from. Even on the phone some have a very half arsed attitude and some and just plain arrogant. To be honest, if they are like this, just move onto someone who values your business, they are out there, just got to keep ringing up/visitng .....

FWIW, a few weeks ago me & the g/f went to a dealers for a Golf. They took the piss even for a px/ex on her 120d and then refused to accept a very good offer for a cash buy on the car. It wasn't until we were pulling out of the car lot that they chased after us and said Ok we'll take your offer. At this point I declined, simply as if they get an offer that they will accept, then they should accept it. On a brighter note, last weekend we got a smashing overall deal at a VW dealer on a Golf, great price, excellent p/ex on the 120d.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I found out main dealers are arse***es when i went to buy my first e46, i went from work ad was a bit dirty. Salesman didnt want to know and basically blanked me and went to see the next person who walked through the door. I was annoyed but it did m,e a favour as i got a cracking deal from a private sale at the time. My recently purchased er46 330ci sport came from an indy dealer in oxford. I traveled 100 miles to go look at it but i got it with 13 months MOT, new pads all round, tax til september, fbmwsh and with only 53k miles on the clock for 7k. The bloke seemed a genuinly decent guy. LAot of salesmen in main dealers could learn a thing or two form people like that.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Well i am in the motor trade and let me tell you we deal with enough punters wanting to buy a car and knock £1000's of pounds off ,yes it gets to you after a abit.The cars are not free we have to buy them.Plus what his told you is right he could put it up a grand and might still sell it,The second hand car market is through the roof at the moment,cars are making an average £1000 more than 4 weeks ago,I had a customer complain about a car a few weeks ago after giving him a discount because he wanted to buy it with no guarantee,so thought it better i giving him his money back then sold it for a £1300 more and the guy is very happy with it,market is on the way up we never had it so good,interest rates down fuel prices down,most people are better off by far
This would explain why on a weekly baiss the car prices have risen! Have to admit that some of the cars I'm interested in didn't come down much, but held steady and even now have not gone up, whereas your more mid range prestidge/sports stuff has gone up in price.

Dealers usually can easily knock off £1K, I have seen lots of cars in the £4-10K bracket, after being sat at forecourts for ages being reduced by circa £1k! At the end of the day they buy tehse cars much much cheaper than what they sell them!

So Toni, whats the deal with the p/ex side of things? whilst I knwo dealers usually buy p/ex cars for free (by asking sticker price if p/ex is involved making a huge margin on the sale and getting ther punters p/ex for free), why are dealers REALLY taking the piss with p/ex prices!?

·
Registered
2 Posts
well i know that most main dealers have a big mark up.main reason is the running cost,there big,So when someone walks in and wants top money for there p/x car they have enough room to play with,and still make a nice profit.The best thing you could do when buying a car is go to a independent dealer,his mark up wont be as much and you will get better service & deal,and if your buying less than three years old you still get your main dealer warantees most of the time.
The main reason why cars had lost so much money was massive fuel prices and the all the scare-mongering going on in the news banks and so on,i had a friend went to buy a
audi r8 with 50k deposit and could not get the balance on loan,thats why all the big expensive cars ie range rovers astons ferraris & so on took massive drop in price,no one would finance them,but things have picked up abit so if you up for a deal dont hang about to long,

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
If fuel prices have helped dictate the increase in sales and the value of bigger engined cars ......what the heck are people going to do when the government screws everyone on fuel again? I really don't understand why people buy cars that they can't afford to run if prices go up :sarcastic:confused

If the prices of the mid range sports/prestige stuff stay as they are, I may just bite bullet and opt for an RS6 or E55K now rather than holding on for about a year.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If fuel prices have helped dictate the increase in sales and the value of bigger engined cars ......what the heck are people going to do when the government screws everyone on fuel again? QUOTE]

Funny thing is i know a few people who have looked at new bigger cars at the moment cause fuel is cheaper:sarcastic. All ive said is fuel will eventually go back up when things sort them selves out then the increased VED will come in. Then i can look forward to using best part of £70 to fill up again lol.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
IMO, people should buy a car and be able to run it regardless of what fuel and road tax cost. Trouble is what I want is kind of yo-yo ing in price and not really sure whats going to happen. So I don't want to end up paying over the odds or loosing dearly in value either way, so the super saloon is going to be on hold until this economy tat sorts itself out.

Like you say about folks buying big engined cars due to lower fuel costs, I know 2 people that have bought E39 535i V8's just because they 'think' they should be able to afford the fuel :sarcastic

Personally i'd be delighted if the government just put the fuel prices back to where they were.

I belive the increase in VED still applies to 2005 > vehicles, but not sure if it will be re-intorduced for 2001> cars.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i think the fuel prices should be capped and regulated to stay in one place with the government offsetting their tax to smooth the price, to help the economy grow, and to help those who think they should be able to afford gas actually afford it.

:p

discuss! .. :S

·
Banned
478 Posts
i think the fuel prices should be capped and regulated to stay in one place with the government offsetting their tax to smooth the price, to help the economy grow, and to help those who think they should be able to afford gas actually afford it.

:p

discuss! .. :S
The government make so much money in revenue from tax and duty on fuel its unreal... This is where you see the Green environment s**t being shovelled. Everytime darling increased duty on fuel, somewhere in his sentence the 'green' issues are mentioned. The duty on fuel is necessary, we all have to accept that but at its current level is choking... yes, fuel is cheaper now.... but it WILL go back up. The fuel prices have risen an fallen for years and historically have always risen higher eventually. IMO the government should have cut duty when we were paying £1.20 a litre, especially as spain was paying the equivent to £1.00 a litre. The government has done nothing to help us in that time other than SUSPEND duty!! Oh how thankful we are! but that is going to cost us more in years to come! At £1.20 the government were taking over HALF that in their pocket!! While haulage firms were going bust because of fuel costs! You can't blame OPEC really... the problems lie at home, with our very own greedy government, who enter wars that we pay for, apparently for the benefit of us and millions of people fraudulently claim benefits that costs us billions! I think this green BS has gone on for long enough, and why should the british public pay more than our european neighbours? does that mean we are doing more to combat supposed global warming?? If so, why? is that fair? America are still the biggest polluters in the world so why dont they pay more? And how the fcuk can money help the environment? are the governments investing in new fuel solutions? no. The oil companies are doing that... so what are the government spending green money on?? Its all a pile of cack and the majority believe them, and thats how they get away with it.

Sorry to stray way off topic guys but this BS winds me up!!:mad

Reactions: DSK
1 - 14 of 14 Posts