BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi people--i am thinking of purchsing a BMW 1 series. now i have some issues that i need help with, firstly i have 3 small children ages 7,6,3 and i also have a small baby who now is 5 months, and not forgetting my wife. i only take kids out on the weekends due to work commitments. i want this car for only about five yrs and then get a bigger car as the kids will grow up.

my main reason for purchsing this car is
1] its econolmical!!
2] cheap to run
3] i do 220 miles in five days so fuel wise it wil be very economicla for me
4] tax is also cheap

i did a test drive but as i am 6.1ft i noticed i had to put the seat right at the back and then i noticed there was no room for anyone else if i wa to put the seat right back.

so, can someone advise me should i get this car or a 3 series BMW> thanks:confused

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Only my opinion, but I would get a 3 series.

The 3 series does not offer any more significant leg room inside, I am quite short legged and only 5'10" and whether it was my old e46's or my current e93 there is not a great deal of room behind the drivers seat, my 11 year old moans and he is built like a racing snake.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
hi people--i am thinking of purchsing a BMW 1 series. now i have some issues that i need help with, firstly i have 3 small children ages 7,6,3 and i also have a small baby who now is 5 months, and not forgetting my wife. i only take kids out on the weekends due to work commitments. i want this car for only about five yrs and then get a bigger car as the kids will grow up.

my main reason for purchsing this car is
1] its econolmical!!
2] cheap to run
3] i do 220 miles in five days so fuel wise it wil be very economicla for me
4] tax is also cheap

i did a test drive but as i am 6.1ft i noticed i had to put the seat right at the back and then i noticed there was no room for anyone else if i wa to put the seat right back.

so, can someone advise me should i get this car or a 3 series BMW> thanks:confused
I would chose a 3 series over a 1 series. You will have more room and I should imagine they withstand accident damage better too which will give you peace of mind whilst ferrying your children around:thumbsup

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would go for the 3 series... however, there is not THAT much difference in terms of leg room etc. I would prefer to travel with kids in a saloon rather than the hatch, for safety reasons. I've seen the damage a car from the rear can do :(

The 3 series is also tried and tested, fantastic family cars.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
i am going to echo all thats been mentioned so far...plus the 3 series gets you a bigger boot for strollers/footballs/shopping etc.
i would seriously consider an e46 touring with 4 kiddies to cart around

·
Registered
220 Posts
No brainer matey, 3-series looks better (I think), is marginally bigger, is slightly cheaper (or the same) 2nd hand - because of over supply and has exactly the same performance and economy.

Most BMW's grow on me with time - the only exceptions are the 1-Series and the X3.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'll go against the grain here, I would recommend the 1 series, my missus has got a 118d, its a great drive and I have 2 children 6 & 3, I'm 6' and either the kids fit in the back no problem.

As for economics, it will return upwards of 55mpg on the motorway if driving sensibly.

We drove down to Wales which was about 500 miles and still had enough in the tank for another 100 odd miles. I would give it the :thumbsup.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
If you buy a 1 series you WILL regret it. Absolute crap, crap shabby inteior, very poor quality seats, as much rear leag room as my Supra (none), pointless boot capacity and a horrid ride.

G/f had a 120d but I managed to covince her that a VW Golf was a far superior car. Go for a VW Golf 5 door or an Audi A3, far better cars. If you want a BMW then a 3 series is the minimal option, but IMO, you'd get more more quality and car with a 5 series, i.e. 530d etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
"G/f had a 120d but I managed to covince her that a VW Golf was a far superior car. Go for a VW Golf 5 door or an Audi A3, far better cars." - DSK

Top Gear said the same as DSK. For what it is worth, I have sat in both and although the 1 series coupe seemed like a funish kind of car, the 3 seemed like twice the car in my opinion - especially the interior (plus I am not a fan of the 1 series hatchback).

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Personally I can't see the point in a 1 series... what the hell is its supposed to be? a small city car? small practical hatchback??? cheap runabout? its nothing but the ultimate pile of junk in motoring history and anyone who has one needs a brain transplant, IMO.

I used to refuse to travel in the 120d, I hated it with passion. Its very true that BMW can get away with making crap, in addition to the 1 series and just sell it as people over rate BMWs...... they are really have got a superb marketing strategy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Personally I can't see the point in a 1 series... what the hell is its supposed to be? a small city car? small practical hatchback??? cheap runabout? its nothing but the ultimate pile of junk in motoring history and anyone who has one needs a brain transplant, IMO.

I used to refuse to travel in the 120d, I hated it with passion. Its very true that BMW can get away with making crap, in addition to the 1 series and just sell it as people over rate BMWs...... they are really have got a superb marketing strategy.
I should maybe qualify my recommendation, the 1 series is my wifes company car so it wasn't our hard earned readies paying for it but for what its worth I still stand by that its a good car, it handles very well is comfortable and economical.

DSK was the 1 series not the replacement for the 3 series compact? If so the 1 series is a far better looking and more practical option for someone looking for a small RWD hatch.

Given the choice of driving my missus car or mine the choice is easy, mine. The coupe is more family friendly than most might think, good leg room rear easily accessible, rear seats fold down in fact its the perfect family car!:shifty:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.