BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, i currently have a mk1 audi tt 225. i fancy a change to a 5 series diesel. my mate had a 535d m sport touring as a courtesy car last month and i absolutly loved it. it was a 58 plate, but i am looking at getting a 55/56 plate

what are the main advantages and disadvantages of these cars?

i have about 10k to spend, im sure ive seen a few around that price

preferably id like a 4 door m sport in silver

is there much difference in fuel consumption or performance between the 530d and the 535d?

thanks help is appreciated :)

·
Banned
137 Posts
hi everyone, i currently have a mk1 audi tt 225. i fancy a change to a 5 series diesel. my mate had a 535d m sport touring as a courtesy car last month and i absolutly loved it. it was a 58 plate, but i am looking at getting a 55/56 plate

what are the main advantages and disadvantages of these cars?

i have about 10k to spend, im sure ive seen a few around that price

preferably id like a 4 door m sport in silver

is there much difference in fuel consumption or performance between the 530d and the 535d?

thanks help is appreciated :)
530d has 1 turbo and the 535d has 2 turbos,defiantly a difference in price as the 535d fetch a lot more than the 530d and less common as well.

10k you might be lucky to get a 530d m-sport on a 04 plate for 10k,but you can rule the 535d out if you only have 10k.

535d any day of the week,2 turbos,faster,fuel probably around the same,resale value more...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know the 535 has 2 turbos, after a remap would a 530 be similar in performance?

im hoping in a few months the prices will drop. ive been looking at m3's too, but insurance would be a struggle for me i think as im 23

·
Banned
137 Posts
yeah i know the 535 has 2 turbos, after a remap would a 530 be similar in performance?

im hoping in a few months the prices will drop. ive been looking at m3's too, but insurance would be a struggle for me i think as im 23
Remapped 535d would be quicker than the m3.not sure what a mapped 530d performance is like but it still will only have the 1 turbo.
Think you will be waiting more than a few months for the prices to drop to be honest as the 530d and 535d are still very sort after motors.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
530d's are plenty quick enough for most people !!

around town expect 30 mpg, on the motorways expect 40 - 42 depending on driving style (80-85mph with kids,wife + luggage)

535d's are definately juicier

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Avoid ex-police and make sure you get leather and auto (535d is only available in auto) Some types of rims can crack with run flat tyres so cars that did not originally have RFL tyres are actually desirable (535d). Exhaust manifolds can crack on early 530d's. Diesel particulate filters are not suited to regular short journies nor are EGR valves so bear this in mind if you will use it in this manner.
A 530d will go like stink with a remap but will not have the low down grunt of a standard 535d.
Condition is more important than mileage so a high mile immaculate car is better than a roughish low miler and these cars will show very little wear if they have spent their life pounding motorways. For 10k you might be looking at high miles for a 535d and newer cars are better as they have less control modules (odd but true, boxes are more multi role) and more robust electrics. They also went back to good old cast iron exhaust manifolds on newer cars too so the cracking problem was eliminated. If you do buy a Tourer make sure the tailgate electrics work and the glass bit opens separatly. Also you will want to make sure the suspension compressor is working properly on these models. It shouldn't run for long once started.
Good luck!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Had a similar dilemma with 330/335d. Drove both and there was a clear winner
but didn't even consider mpg and running costs at the time!
If your budget will stretch go for the 535d as its a real head turner and has the twin turbo power, (even my wife likes our 335d and she couldn't give a shite). But on the other hand dont feel as though you'll be let down with the 530 as its a great motor too, especially mapped and IMO debadged so it could be a 535d?

There will be a decent diffeence in mpg as well, despite what you may read 335/535's arent great aroud town, we get 27- 28mpg average (never reset) doing 5 miles/ day school and shops with about 40 miles here and there at the weekends. Can average 40mpg on a motrway run at 75ish light footed.

Enjoy the car shopping.

·
Registered
0 Posts
530d tourer 05

i've had mine six months and i'm very happy with it, not too happy at over six quid a gallon diesel but it's the smiles per gallon that count.. i'm averaging 30mpg thats including plenty of motorway miles. crusing on motorway at seventy it'll go up to 37ish. i'm considering decat pipe and a remap, it'll take a lot of miles to repay the investment though. as for speed i'm more than happy and its embaressed many boy racers at the traffic lights... lol. :lol:lol

·
Banned
137 Posts
Had a similar dilemma with 330/335d. Drove both and there was a clear winner
but didn't even consider mpg and running costs at the time!
If your budget will stretch go for the 535d as its a real head turner and has the twin turbo power, (even my wife likes our 335d and she couldn't give a shite). But on the other hand dont feel as though you'll be let down with the 530 as its a great motor too, especially mapped and IMO debadged so it could be a 535d?

There will be a decent diffeence in mpg as well, despite what you may read 335/535's arent great aroud town, we get 27- 28mpg average (never reset) doing 5 miles/ day school and shops with about 40 miles here and there at the weekends. Can average 40mpg on a motrway run at 75ish light footed.

Enjoy the car shopping.
You would have to change the exhaust if you were to debadge it from a 530d to 535d as the 535d has bigger tailpipes.
Like I say 530d are lovely motor but when I go into mcdonalds I always go for the big mac rather than a cheese burger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brilliant thanks everyone, i'll know what to look for now when time comes to change

only thing i will be doing to one will be a remap, not going to change exhausts, and i dont believe in changing parts to make it look like something its not

think i will just save up and get a 535, i know i wont be happy unless i do :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Be careful with the transmission on 535d's ; a mate of mine has one (embarrassingly, I only have a 525d) and he said his gearbox liked to play up at times. It would hover around the 4K revs at 5 gear, and would be reluctant to change up. Took it to a dealer, said he would have to replace the whole gearbox, at a price of £4K and upwards. In all honesty, get yourself a 530d, and look for a six speed manual transmission. Lots of power, plus you get that "fun" of driving a manual.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Be careful with the transmission on 535d's ; a mate of mine has one (embarrassingly, I only have a 525d) and he said his gearbox liked to play up at times. It would hover around the 4K revs at 5 gear, and would be reluctant to change up. Took it to a dealer, said he would have to replace the whole gearbox, at a price of £4K and upwards. In all honesty, get yourself a 530d, and look for a six speed manual transmission. Lots of power, plus you get that "fun" of driving a manual.

auto's hold gear and revs for longer when they are doing a regeneration.
if your buying an executive big engined diesel,the best option for driving and resale has got to be an auto
if you want the fun of a manual gearchange,put it in steptronic
have the best of both
all my personal opinion of course
apart from the auto box ,which all reviews state as a must on 530 / 535 auto only

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my mate who had the 535d touring on a 58 plate he said he wasnt fussed on the auto box. he said it took to long to change up, but i really fancy an auto for a change

i drove a 120d coupe last month and i was so disappointed with the performance for a new bmw, my mother 57 plate toledo has a load more grunt

·
Banned
137 Posts
my mate who had the 535d touring on a 58 plate he said he wasnt fussed on the auto box. he said it took to long to change up, but i really fancy an auto for a change

i drove a 120d coupe last month and i was so disappointed with the performance for a new bmw, my mother 57 plate toledo has a load more grunt
Thats because the 120d 4 pot has no grunt.same as the 320d and the 520d I wouldn't waste my money on any of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats because the 120d 4 pot has no grunt.same as the 320d and the 520d I wouldn't waste my money on any of them.
my old man was considering a 320d as a replacement for his mondeo mobility car, when i drove the 120d i said to him the 320d has the same engine and its a dog, the mondeo goes better. so hes settled on a xc70 volvo with an unbelieviable spec on it for the same deposit

one of the owners of my company had one hellof a nice looking 5 series m sport on dark blue, 19inch wheels similar to the m5 unsure of the name. and it was only a debadged 520d. looked good, but i want performance to match :)

·
Banned
137 Posts
my old man was considering a 320d as a replacement for his mondeo mobility car, when i drove the 120d i said to him the 320d has the same engine and its a dog, the mondeo goes better. so hes settled on a xc70 volvo with an unbelieviable spec on it for the same deposit

one of the owners of my company had one hellof a nice looking 5 series m sport on dark blue, 19inch wheels similar to the m5 unsure of the name. and it was only a debadged 520d. looked good, but i want performance to match :)
You can easily tell the difference on any debadged 5 series just by looking it.

But as you say no good debadging the car if you haven't got the engine to match,but honestly if you can stretch to a couple of grand more go for the 535d.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
for me it's not even about debadging cars - i want that power for me + the looks of the machine

·
Diamond BFuk Member
1,213 Posts
I had my 530d re-mapped and it's as quick as a standard 535d and does 35-37mpg around town and 43-47mpg on a run, so I think it's the best of both worlds.
Also you can't tell how an Auto box will drive on a road test or over a few days, as they are computer controlled and react to your driving over time.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
your consumption figures are better than mine without a remap !!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts