BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neighbour just knocked on my door to tell me three hooded lads were round my car taking photos of the wheels and they then moved onto my other neihbours car(Porche) and took photos of his before taking off in Audi when they were disturbed...rang the police but will have to sleep with one eye open for the next few weeks.aaaaarrrrggghh:mad

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Assuming they were looking to steal your alloys can you fit a second set locking wheel nuts just to make life difficult?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Good idea mate on the wheel nuts, also is it possible to park your car elsewhere for a while, like parents or work?

Tom

·
Registered
478 Posts
Or surreptitiously wire up your wheels to the mains.... I know that's what I'd be tempted to do.... awful what faulty wiring can do when charging your battery..... ;-)

Tom

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
or set up your webcam on the pc next to the window that hopefully looks on to your car (or entrance to your drive) and set it for motion sensor. Give it a test befor you go to bed, should catch any crooks in the act.

Even get an extra long 2m usb cable extender to route your webcam to the window if the above is not suitable....

Hope you don't get hit mate. Red.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Neighbour just knocked on my door to tell me three hooded lads were round my car taking photos of the wheels and they then moved onto my other neihbours car(Porche) and took photos of his before taking off in Audi when they were disturbed...rang the police but will have to sleep with one eye open for the next few weeks.aaaaarrrrggghh:mad
One thing to do is change those locking nuts to something like McGards ASAP. The scum will have BMW locking keys already as there are only 40 combinations. The McGards are available from Halfords :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
What I do is this, I park my cars right up close next to each other and walls/fences etc, thus it would be impossible for somone to take a wheel off. This way about 2-3 wheels are always impossible to remove due to a lack of space.

If you have similar objects available, then park your car right up close.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Wire the car up to the mains! I caught a couple of hoodie scumbags on my drive one night,about 1am. Battered one of them and got arrested the next day. Nothing like a bit of common sense from the local plod.

Do you have a CCTV camera up? Even a fake one is a good deterrent.

·
Registered
201 Posts
not a nice feeling, i get pissed of enough when dust caps go missing for the simple fact people go on your drive.

id say park real close up to a wall, change the nuts!! ive known a few theifs which will go to any length to take the wheels of even if it does damage the wheel

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would not advise confronting them, if they are not easily spooked 3 to 1. Arming yourself to attack them in law is not self defence! Scare them off or observe and call it in. Make it difficult for them as the others have stated and most importantly get the reg of the audi and if possible a description of the 3 males.

Remember most of these people are armed with jenny bars, wheel braces and quite often knives, they have nothing to lose, and the punishment in court for this type of crime is comical - so dont give them a chance to put you in hospital!

I'm sure you can guess my somewhat 'unpopular' employment, but as one of the other posters have put up you will be the one getting nicked for assault...

·
Registered
877 Posts
The Police are not considered to be unpopular by the vast majority in this country, its the idiotic red tape and comical justice system they have to uphold that is frowned upon.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would have thought good wheels nuts would do it, or one of those wheel clamp things, so they would only be able to take off 3 wheels if they wanted to, and maybe deterring them from trying?

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I'm sure you can guess my somewhat 'unpopular' employment, but as one of the other posters have put up you will be the one getting nicked for assault...
Blimey, not a chav ? :rofl

Seriously, fair play :thumbsup

·
Registered
478 Posts
Wire the car up to the mains! I caught a couple of hoodie scumbags on my drive one night,about 1am. Battered one of them and got arrested the next day. Nothing like a bit of common sense from the local plod.

Do you have a CCTV camera up? Even a fake one is a good deterrent.
Can't put CCTV up if it faces the road, otherwise it's a whole legal quagmire, that can see you with more trouble than the scum you're trying to detect.

Tom

·
Registered
877 Posts
Is that law as ive seen hundreds of them on the front of peoples houses pointing at the road. My cousin works for a CCTV installation company and has put up loads this way.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would not advise confronting them, if they are not easily spooked 3 to 1. Arming yourself to attack them in law is not self defence! Scare them off or observe and call it in. Make it difficult for them as the others have stated and most importantly get the reg of the audi and if possible a description of the 3 males.

Remember most of these people are armed with jenny bars, wheel braces and quite often knives, they have nothing to lose, and the punishment in court for this type of crime is comical - so dont give them a chance to put you in hospital!

Technically, at least from a CPS/lawyers stand point, as long as you keep your gob shut about having had the item ready (a golf club from a bag by the door because you were planning to go golfing the next morning is not an offensive weapon at that point....), is likely to be considered SD, as long as you don't repeatedly beat them, another bit is not to continue beating them once they are no longer a threat (Don't go for vital areas either, RED Areas as the police call them are areas like the head and soft areas around vital organs, places they arn't supposed to hit with an ASP, as you can kill them).

I'd certainly never bother calling the police (what do they generally do except SFA and give you a crime number?), most [minority I'm sure, but surely these ones should be left on cell cleaning duty? And why is it they are always the ones I have to deal with?] make Brigs and Louis look Einsteins.... Not saying there arn't good coppers out there, I know a couple, they seem to get stuck in as desk jockeys though...

Idea BTW use a set of Mcguards, only on the exposed wheels so if two are tight to a wall put four on the two exposed wheels.....

Tom

·
Registered
478 Posts
Is that law as ive seen hundreds of them on the front of peoples houses pointing at the road. My cousin works for a CCTV installation company and has put up loads this way.
Unless you put up prescribed warning posters with a telephone number to ring etc. yes, they are not supposed (if PRIVATELY owned) to point at public property, dumbass law, but who passess's the laws, the biggest bunch of crooks going......

http://nfh.org.uk/resources/Articles/cctv/index.php

Just google it and you get loads of sites giving legal tips on it: http://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...source=hp&q=CCTV+Law&meta=&btnG=Google+Search

Most of it comes from the DPA..... It is a big grey area, but I have heard of successful prosecutions....... I believe the prescribed stand point is "As long as you are monitoring your own property" which is where the grey area appears, how can you prove you are not monitoring areas outside your own boundaries, if it points towards a road?

From: http://www.closeprotectionworld.co.uk/cctv-forum/481-against-law-put-cctv-front-your-home.html

"Put up a sign stating 'Area covered by CCTV' to act as a deterrent. This may not deter the vandals but you have taken steps to inform them. Under the Data Protection Act this is necessary"

Tom

1 - 20 of 51 Posts