BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I think it was time someone posted something INFORMATIVE on this.

Start off by reading this post earlier in the year:

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f125/bmw-e92-320d-2007-high-pressure-fuel-pump-sensor-failure-t287449/

As per my last post there, the timing chain slipped due to the chain guides braking. This left me with (i'll keep it simple so you don't cringe) many crumbled bits in the head and rear of my engine.

Grab a cup of tea, and enjoy the story

So, I was left with a huge bill and not many choices. My BMW dealer was extremely negative/reluctant about asking for goodwill from BMW. They even suggested taking the car elsewhere as the repair was so extensive they wouldn't normally carry it out anyway.

The dealer collected my information, service history, mileage etc... and put a claim in to BMW UK. The same day, they got back to me saying it was a no. The excuse was, 'The car is too old (57 plate with 87k). By the way, you owe us for the high pressure fuel pump we fitted before we realized your engine was shot.'

I didn't accept that as an answer, a car failing in such a fashion pre-100k is unacceptable, the timing chain is not a serviceable item. It's like asking your dealer to check if your piston rings are ok during a health check. (bear in mind the car is and was always kept at bmw for every check and service). Although, you would think the 'technicians' that we charge ridiculous £££ an hour would check that :p (I'm joking don't start).

I rang BMW UK and got through to their quality & standards department. Which incidentally is not part of BMW UK, its BMW Finance. I persisted to be given a logical explanation. Even the guy I was talking to couldn't give me a logical answer, but insisted there was nothing they could do because of the age mileage.
After a bit of kicking and screaming, they broke. They asked, 'what would you be expecting anyway?'. Knowing that the bill was around 8k to fix the car, I didn't want to push my luck, especially after turning a no to a maybe. I asked for at least half of the bill. A 'different' manager was consulted, I got a call back asking that the dealership fully strip the engine. If the timing chain was the issue, they may be able to help with some contribution.

What I quickly realised is that, there is a complete disconnect between your dealer, BMW UK and BMW finance. Apples and oranges (yes really). I had to connect the dots for them. In addition to that, I had to take the risk of stripping the engine, BMW saying they wouldn't cover anything, and incurring the labour costs for that too. (had to be done by BMW technicians.)

Some nervous sleeps later (a week), I get a call from quality & standards. Given the results of the investigation, BMW are willing to cover 100% of parts and labour to get your BMW back on the road. Fantastic!!

Of course, I still had to ring my dealer, tell them, and actually get them to believe me. Remember, these are the guys that wouldn't even put the claim in in the first place. The service advisor was stunned, he asked 'how did you do that? I've never heard of them doing that before' This was eventually relayed to them by BMW UK anyway.

The car was repaired and returned to me almost 2 months later. For most of the time, the dealer wouldn't give me a courtesy car because there were 'none available'. I managed to get reimbursed for that too. :)
Let not mention that, after a week of having the car back it developed a fuel leak and nearly went up in smoke when I arrived at work. (oops I did). There's a side story there, I might write another post about that if the demand is there!

What you should take away from this:

- If you're going to ask for goodwill, make sure you're being honest and upfront - don't go begging when you haven't had your car serviced properly, or at all with the dealer. Even though they never spotted the issue, it minimises the excuses they can throw at you.
- Don't listen to your dealer relaying information from other parts of the organisation. Get it yourself, from 'the horse's mouth' as they say.
- Most important, don't give up at the first hurdle. It may sound cheesy, but it applies to everything, including this situation.

Enjoy

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
BMW are wankers like the rest of them! if this was the USA they would be shatting themselves with class action lawsuites coming from every direction...they just dont really give a shit unless you protest and chase it enough...

·
5,853 Posts
Like I said in another post,keep at them,be persistent and you will get results.
Well done alexanda :thumbsup

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, I think it was time someone posted something INFORMATIVE on this.

Start off by reading this post earlier in the year:

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f125/bmw-e92-320d-2007-high-pressure-fuel-pump-sensor-failure-t287449/

As per my last post there, the timing chain slipped due to the chain guides braking. This left me with (i'll keep it simple so you don't cringe) many crumbled bits in the head and rear of my engine.

Grab a cup of tea, and enjoy the story

So, I was left with a huge bill and not many choices. My BMW dealer was extremely negative/reluctant about asking for goodwill from BMW. They even suggested taking the car elsewhere as the repair was so extensive they wouldn't normally carry it out anyway.

The dealer collected my information, service history, mileage etc... and put a claim in to BMW UK. The same day, they got back to me saying it was a no. The excuse was, 'The car is too old (57 plate with 87k). By the way, you owe us for the high pressure fuel pump we fitted before we realized your engine was shot.'

I didn't accept that as an answer, a car failing in such a fashion pre-100k is unacceptable, the timing chain is not a serviceable item. It's like asking your dealer to check if your piston rings are ok during a health check. (bear in mind the car is and was always kept at bmw for every check and service). Although, you would think the 'technicians' that we charge ridiculous £££ an hour would check that :p (I'm joking don't start).

I rang BMW UK and got through to their quality & standards department. Which incidentally is not part of BMW UK, its BMW Finance. I persisted to be given a logical explanation. Even the guy I was talking to couldn't give me a logical answer, but insisted there was nothing they could do because of the age mileage.
After a bit of kicking and screaming, they broke. They asked, 'what would you be expecting anyway?'. Knowing that the bill was around 8k to fix the car, I didn't want to push my luck, especially after turning a no to a maybe. I asked for at least half of the bill. A 'different' manager was consulted, I got a call back asking that the dealership fully strip the engine. If the timing chain was the issue, they may be able to help with some contribution.

What I quickly realised is that, there is a complete disconnect between your dealer, BMW UK and BMW finance. Apples and oranges (yes really). I had to connect the dots for them. In addition to that, I had to take the risk of stripping the engine, BMW saying they wouldn't cover anything, and incurring the labour costs for that too. (had to be done by BMW technicians.)

Some nervous sleeps later (a week), I get a call from quality & standards. Given the results of the investigation, BMW are willing to cover 100% of parts and labour to get your BMW back on the road. Fantastic!!

Of course, I still had to ring my dealer, tell them, and actually get them to believe me. Remember, these are the guys that wouldn't even put the claim in in the first place. The service advisor was stunned, he asked 'how did you do that? I've never heard of them doing that before' This was eventually relayed to them by BMW UK anyway.

The car was repaired and returned to me almost 2 months later. For most of the time, the dealer wouldn't give me a courtesy car because there were 'none available'. I managed to get reimbursed for that too. :)
Let not mention that, after a week of having the car back it developed a fuel leak and nearly went up in smoke when I arrived at work. (oops I did). There's a side story there, I might write another post about that if the demand is there!

What you should take away from this:

• If you're going to ask for goodwill, make sure you're being honest and upfront - don't go begging when you haven't had your car serviced properly, or at all with the dealer. Even though they never spotted the issue, it minimises the excuses they can throw at you.
  • Don't listen to your dealer relaying information from other parts of the organisation. Get it yourself, from 'the horse's mouth' as they say.
  • Most important, don't give up at the first hurdle. It may sound cheesy, but it applies to everything, including this situation.

Enjoy

Great news for you and Im glad you got somewhere!!

I have a smiliar issue, i have a e92 320d, I took this to BMW regarding the timing chain recall and they took it, serviced the top chain and replaced the bottom.

80k miles later the chain sounds like its on its way out once more so im not driving it.

I have got in touch with my dealership (who serviced the chain before) and they are saying "BMW" need to see my service history before they offer any support.

Do you by any chance have the details of this other team that supported you more? As i feel i will not get anywhere further forward with my claim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts