BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my life I've grown up with a disability, and never have I been ashamed of it; although many people with the same disability refuse to accept it.

Sometimes it has come on later in life, sometimes early in life. Sometimes, like me, you were born with it.

Some people think of disabilities as unfortunate, and some people think of them as a blessing.

Many, like me, just think it's something normal that I have lived with since I was born; and have managed to cope just fine.

----------

The idea of this thread is:

- People with disabilities can be open and talk about them
- People can freely ask questions without fear of offending the person the question is directed at.

I feel that disabilities are a topic too easily steered away from, but I have always been open about who I am! :thumbsup

----------

I was born with a hearing impairment in both ears, although I bet the guys at the Aviemore meet didn't even notice. I have currently got a pair of state of the art hearing aids from a private audiologist based in Aberdeen; which make it so much easier to lead a 'normal' life.

Growing up, I had a tough time at school, but I am making something of myself, and have applied to University to start in September 2010. :)

Questions, please:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I'm aware that I might actually be the only one on the forum with a disability, but with the size of this forum; I'm hard-pressed to believe it! :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've got anterior compartment syndrome in both legs from the army, can't play football/run/walk too far any more without bad discomfort, pins and needles every morning, and if i've overdone it then can hardly walk for 3 days or more after. Most I can walk in one day is probably a mile or 2.

I'm entitled to the disability bandwagon, but have had this for 3 years now and I'm used to it so have never claimed or accepted it as a disability as I'd rather put up with it than be discrimated or have less opportunities as a result (won't go into the explaination of this).

Miss not being able to play football or go back in army as I'd love to do both or either.

Its not as serious as many peoples disabilites but though I'd throw my pennies worth in.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AFAIK, I actually couldn't join the army if I wanted to. I grew up wanting to be a fighter pilot, too.

I also developed asthma at the age of 5 - long story short; a korean teenager decided he wanted to jump up and down on my back like I was a horse. Ever since then, I've had asthma - So that would also mean that I can't join the armed forces, or more importantly become a fighter pilot. :frown

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think we all deep down inside wanted to be Pete 'Maverick' Michell at one stage :hihi

I grew up with back issues and lied about them to get into the army but ironically it hasnt caused me any issues since the day I blagged it. Need to get my legs sorted but bit scared about doing so if it needs an op to the muscle as i'd hate to have any complications :(

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think we all deep down inside wanted to be Pete 'Maverick' Michell at one stage :hihi

I grew up with back issues and lied about them to get into the army but ironically it hasnt caused me any issues since the day I blagged it. Need to get my legs sorted but bit scared about doing so if it needs an op to the muscle as i'd hate to have any complications :(
What kind of back issues? If you don't mind me asking - that's the point of the thread, after all.. :)

Have you ever had a consult about your legs? If not, it would be a good idea, as it's not a definite step towards doing anything. At least then you'd know what surgical options are actually on the table for you if you did go ahead with it! :Thumbsup

My dad has had back problems since about 15 years ago, and before that he was a fisherman. There is an opportunity to put it right, but there's a risk of it going wrong and ending up paralysing him for life. It's a big enough risk for him to know he'd rather deal with the back-pain until we [his sons] have all grown up and all that - he wants to be able to enjoy our lives rather than be a 'bencher'.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have Ashma from the age of 8
What are you on for it?

I use Accuhalers, Seretide and Salbutamol. I am also currently on 'Level 3' treatment, which means I have to take one tablet called "Singulair" a day, in the evening.

Have you heard of it before? It's doing wonders for me just now, and I've only been on it just over 2 weeks!

It has helped with hayfever, inflamed nostrils, sensitive skin and asthma.

Yes, I am pretty much a walking disaster, but I'm not scared of doctors and I'm not scared to admit when I know something doesn't work. :)

Too many people just don't go to the doctor. :(

·
Registered
426 Posts
What kind of back issues? If you don't mind me asking - that's the point of the thread, after all.. :)
I've had a few injuries in my life at an early age due to someone trying to bend my back in a way its not supposed to go (teacher when I was 5 or 6 tried to force me into a backward roll, then as a teen a mate was drunk and damaged my back by sittin on my legs in a backward roll type position..hard to explain), then a car accident when I was 21.

Think the injuries were down to poor core stability, as once that had been improved the problems went. either that or im just used to it. my back muscles are tons better though in terms of definition, my posture is still rubbish though. got a malignant cyst in my neck also due to asphyxiation as a bullied 9 year old. :rofl im a GP's nightmare, sound like im falling apart.

But seriously, I've been too scared to go to the Drs about proper treatment and went for the approach that the problem would go away if I didnt aggrevate it, and its only got worse.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
1,361 Posts
seretide 250 mg was on 500 mg.Have Salbutamol but never use it.
A lot better now it nearly killed me about 9 years ago.
Spent a week in hospital (discharged myself was getting bored) on oxygen for 4 days Nebulizar 4 times a day for a week.Then a further 3 months off work.
I had to have 6 nebulizars just to try and get me breathing propaley when i was rushed into casualty. Not a nice experience and all down to floor paint fumes.

It seems to be getting better the older i get.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had a few injuries in my life at an early age due to someone trying to bend my back in a way its not supposed to go (teacher when I was 5 or 6 tried to force me into a backward roll, then as a teen a mate was drunk and damaged my back by sittin on my legs in a backward roll type position..hard to explain), then a car accident when I was 21.

Think the injuries were down to poor core stability, as once that had been improved the problems went. either that or im just used to it. my back muscles are tons better though in terms of definition, my posture is still rubbish though. got a malignant cyst in my neck also due to asphyxiation as a bullied 9 year old. :rofl im a GP's nightmare, sound like im falling apart.

But seriously, I've been too scared to go to the Drs about proper treatment and went for the approach that the problem would go away if I didnt aggrevate it, and its only got worse.

Ouch, ouch, and more ouch.

Fortunately, teachers can't actually touch children these days, so forcing someone into a backwards roll just doesn't happen anymore. Then again, the negative point to that is that children can get away with pretty much anything these days. :frown

Everyone deep down is a GP's nightmare. :)

I can only encourage you to visit a doctor about your legs, as simply talking about it won't make it any worse. They know what they're doing, most of the time. As long as you trust them and are honest with them, very little can go wrong.

Nothing ever gets better if you don't fix it.

Think of your suspension.. You know the bushes are shot, so you start to drive like an old man. The problem is still there, and eventually it will really take a turn for the worse. On the other hand, you could replace the bushes and start to drive the car like it just came from the showroom! :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
seretide 250 mg was on 500 mg. A lot better now it nearly killed me about 9 years ago.
Spent a week in hospital (discharged myself was getting bored) on oxygen for 4 days Nebulizar 4 times a day for a week.Then a further 3 months off work.
I had to have 6 nebulizars just to try and get me breathing propaley when i was rushed into casualty. Not a nice experience and all down to floor paint fumes.

It seems to be getting better the older i get.
Then I can safely say that yours is worse than mine. I've used nebulisers before, but I think the last time was when I was about 11? So 8 years ago now! Actually, I'm sure I've had to use one since then.

The most time I recall spending in hospital is 3 days, so I'm the lucky one.

It's gone really downhill over the past 6 months, which is mostly down to weight gain. I'm currently at a shocking weight, and have tried to do something about it.

I haven't been to Muay Thai for a month as I was really struggling and suffering because of it.

As you'll know, swimming is the best exercise for asthma, but the weight issues can turn into self-confidence issues which is just a vicious cycle if anything.

I have to admit that Asthma can be a very embarrasing illness to deal with, and for a long time I would wait until I was home from school or would go to the toilet to use my inhalers.

These days, I don't care who see's me use them. It's not something to be ashamed of! :)

·
Registered
749 Posts
I lost feeling in and use of my lower body (waist down) for over 2 years due to a double spinal fracture when i was 17 im now 22 and still having phsyio as my right leg is still numb and i trip over my foot sometimes but i can drive and walk and just got through the prison service fitness tests ok with it although i will have back problems when im older

·
Registered
710 Posts
I currently suffer with back problems. Alot of it is my own fault though. Working in the sound & lighting industry, you often lift things well above your normal threshold, which I've done a few too many times. Coupled with this the love for Snowboarding, and being air lifted to hospital on holiday in 2008, its pretty screwed. I'm in pain daily, but the doctors won't prescribe pain killers at the moment. I've also been going to a Chiropractor to get my back cracked and set properly again, which lasts for a couple of days then I start to seize up again.

I also suffer with asthma, pretty much stops me doing a lot, but I don't let it get me down. I currently use a double dose of the red twisty one (name evades me) and the blue squirty one (name evades me).

Added to this Hayfever, for which I take tablets, but can't for the life of me remember what they're called, along with Migraines.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I've also damaged my right knee in such a way that the only way for the NHS to repair the damage would be to break it at the knee and set it in plaster for 6 months. Which I can't agree to, as I wouldn't then be entitled to Sick Pay as I am self-employed, and it would be my choice to have it done.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Have any of you guys with back pain tried accupuncture ? I damaged 3 lower vertibrea when i was playing rugby many years ago and now every once in a while i get terrible muscle spasms which pull my spine out of shape....used to go to the chiropractor for manioulation etc, but that would only work for a couple of weeks. then one day my GP suggested trying acupuncture to release the muscles in my back......since having the first treatment i have only had 2muscle spasme in over three years where before i would be getting 4 or 5 a year !!! Also acupuncture is almost instant relief from the pain...i can feel the muscle relaxing as the guy manipulates the needles in my back

1 - 16 of 16 Posts