BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm poised ready to purchase a remap for my e39 530d and wondered which is the best and most reliable out there?

I'm tempted with the DTUK one which can be moved between vehicles as you change, but have heard bad things about generic remapping. I'm also very tempted by the Blackcode map which is written especially for each vehicle after an analysis is carried out on your specific car. The Blackcode has quite a discount at present as well, being £240 all in.

Are there any others out there? I'm not worried about the name, as long as it is reliable and gives both more power and better motorway cruising mpg.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
DTUK is a tuning box, so that doesn't do half as much as a remap.
Also, as you've been a member here for more than 3 months, you also get a discount from me to £235
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f151/bmw-remaps-t59952/

I believe all of the tuners on here carry out tailored remaps, so you can choose between power or economy, and in each case, you will still get a bit of each, so you can't lose!

·
Registered
238 Posts
DTUK is a tuning box, so that doesn't do half as much as a remap.
Also, as you've been a member here for more than 3 months, you also get a discount from me to £235
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f151/bmw-remaps-t59952/

I believe all of the tuners on here carry out tailored remaps, so you can choose between power or economy, and in each case, you will still get a bit of each, so you can't lose!
Eerrmmm this is good to no, hope it's still this price in a few weeks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you TheEnd that sounds great, and your only in Birmingham! How long would you need the car and how much notice would you need to do the work?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Suppose to be a week link, this is before a remap. After mine is mapped and it let's go, then the funds are at the ready for a rebuild. Think it's about 2k but not 100% on that one

Am having mine remapped for better Eco and safer over taking, not to drive like i loon.

Reactions: snow8oard

·
Registered
82 Posts
The auto box was already stretched past it's max torque rating without a remap. With a remap you will put it way past its limits. Its just a matter of time then. A rebuild will be around 2k... If it's a manual, it is also pas the max rated torque of the box before a map, but these don't give as much problems, and I haven't heard of any problems after a remap.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Think a Remap is like anything else including having a Turbo in your car,if you are going to drive like a muppet every time you get in your car and thrash the pants out of it its going to give sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The auto box was already stretched past it's max torque rating without a remap. With a remap you will put it way past its limits. Its just a matter of time then. A rebuild will be around 2k... If it's a manual, it is also pas the max rated torque of the box before a map, but these don't give as much problems, and I haven't heard of any problems after a remap.
Can some thing not be done at the dealer if ones standard cars autobox lets go, it's like building an engine rated at 150bhp and giving it more?? don't no about this but I did read that any running gear had to with stand +30% extra power. Meaning a remap would be in the limits of this 30%.

As said I don't have a clue how true this is and clearly can't be true, or bm wunt have it so close to the limit now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thing is though, the manufacturers will always have a get out if it hasnt been serviced correctly or has been chipped etc. Look at Nissan and the GTR's launch control! Nissan stated that the warranty on the box was void if launch control had been used when the box let go!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts