BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I currently have z4 and due to domestic changes ive cracked to buying a 5 seater, I've done a lot of searching and I've narrowed myself down to either a 5 m sport or 3 m sport (second hand).

To me you seem to get more money for your car with the 5 but are they a lot more run, repair insure etc?

What would you fo with?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
As you are buying due to the requirement of extra room/space, a 5 series is the way to go. FAR better car in terms of quality and equipment and value compared to the 3 series. The dynamics of a 5 series won't leave you wanting a smaller 3 series yet give you the extra league in terms of luxury at the same time.

There's really no difference in fuel economy and as the engines are the same the running costs are identical give or take what we would consider loose change on the odd part.

IMO, a 5 series is a no brainer! Also I do believe that the 5 series is a more honest car in general as well. I'll stick my next out and say that in your position, you'd be a daft to pick a 3 series!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have only ever wanted a 5 and I have never regretted buying one either - the higher the spec the better - my current 530 d M Sport - love it to bits.....so I am biased but I would go for a 5

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd argue that you can't really go wrong with either, but if you're likely to want more space again in the future then may as well go for the 5.

re the se to sport insurance increment, I'd have thought having a Z4, there's only the M or 540i that would cost more to insure :hihi

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd go for the 5 for sure. I test drove a 3 series before buying and love the luxury and build quality of the 5's. I don't have much experience of the 3's, but the massive jump in (new) cost of the 5 Series must mean something.

Of course, now I'm really spoiled, as I run a 5 Series and a Z4 :thumbsup:hyper

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had a (58 plate) 520d Touring for 2 weeks when my own E90 320d went in for warranty work. I loved it and would have one over a 3-series, in fact the only reason we have 2 320d's is because they both fit in my garage at the same time (just).

The 520d was noticibly slower, but more refined and quiet on the motorway. It was so spacious and comfortable that I was gutted when I had to give it back. Saying that, I think the 3 has a more modern, and better quality, interior.

I had a good look at prices when I bought (last year). You get so much more metal for your money with the 5, but it won't be long before a new one comes along and you're driving yesterday's car . . . .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Merc to bmw

I have just come from a c class v6 Merc with amg wheels and supension to a 320imsport and am very happy with its handling and performance dispite it only being a4cyl engine only problem ive had are marks on the leather seat bolsters bmw are replacing as car is only a year old and done 8,000mls like the petrol consumsion and £120 car tax:thumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.