BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to tap into one of the reversing wires so that I can send a 12v control signal to my car PC screen, so that it automatically switches over to dislplay the signal from my new revesing camera when the car is put into reverse. I just need a line that sends a radio type 'blue wire' (low current) signal to the screen when reversing. My car is a 97 e36 328i. Any ideas how I can do this?

I could take it off the revesing lights at the back (dont want to get the carpet up again if I ont have to...) so is there a wire I can tap into near the center console,where the screenis located (in the Radio 1 DIN slot). Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you can get a wiring diagram, perhaps you can. In my case, I needed to run a wiring loom from the camera to head unit anyway (ie the video signal), so I spliced the power wire from the camera into the rear lights at back - this now carries current (powering up the camera) and can connect up to the reversing wire on your head unit or screen at front of car. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the reversing camera in today & tapped into this blue/yellow wire. Its working great so thanks for your help here.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Although it works I am thinking that it would be safer to run a 12v feed off the reversing lights to the screen 'reversing' wire. At the moment the screen is connected to the gear selector wire that goes into the gear box, so if the screen went on the blink & put 12v onto thhat wire it may put the car into reverse while I was in the fastlane = expensive risk I think I will avoid. Dave

·
Banned
66 Posts
Although it works I am thinking that it would be safer to run a 12v feed off the reversing lights to the screen 'reversing' wire. At the moment the screen is connected to the gear selector wire that goes into the gear box, so if the screen went on the blink & put 12v onto thhat wire it may put the car into reverse while I was in the fastlane = expensive risk I think I will avoid. Dave
If you car is a manual there is no way it could do that as the gear stick has to physically move
And i dont think a auto could do it either as the stick has to move to.
Im thinking that wire just tells the lights if your reversing or not

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
No chance of going into reverse, the gearbox is still rod actuated when you move the gear selector

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK Thanks for the reassurance, I will keep it as it is so I dont have to get the carpet up again. Yes its the blue/yellow wire off the auto selector. Camera works great. Thanks.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
The reversing light relay is in the E-Box in the engine compt. Do you know what engine code your car is?
was hoping there was something inside the car near the back seats as thats where my lead currently is for switching the monitor to reverse camera input.

could wire it to the reverse light but that means wiring into the boot lid rather than somewhere inside the boot area - might just pull the trim out and trace the cable into the boot area.

don't know my engine code - the car is E46 320d 2003 if that helps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts