BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have tried new tailgate struts on my 2007 E61 from a couple of suppliers, but both had the 8mm fittings on the ends. My car appears to be equipped with 10mm fittings :( I tried to remove the fittings on the end of the dampers, but they did not want to come off. I didn't try too hard, as I had to send them back. Has anyone else had this problem? Will I have to resort to going to a dealer?

Regards
Richard

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I am surprised that you were not supplied the correct size bolts, but it is easy enough to reuse your ball studs on the car, the studs are retained on the struts by a black spring clip each end, you just need to lever off the clip, and the strut will pull off the ball. Obviously you need to make sure the clips are securely refitted, as you don't want the tailgate dropping on your head!!

It is a very simple fitting - trust me!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Getting the struts off the balls was not a problem. It was the fact that my balls were too big for the new struts. Realoem says that there are M8 and M10 ball pins. I seem to have M10 while the rest of the world seems to use M8 :(

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
ahh I see the problem now!! No doubt the ball pins are a different thread size in the car body too, so you cant just swap the studs. In which case, you do need the right size ball studs! Have you looked on Ebay, they tend to have a few suppliers listed, check with them about the ball sizes before ordering.

If the gas strut has a name on it, it might be worth trying to find the manufacturer, as they are probably in Germany, and cheaper than in a nice shiny BMW box!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts