BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 e61 525d I’m wanting to remove the swirl flap but I’m lead to believe there are 2 different sizes for the blank kit 22mm and 32mm is there any easy way of knowing the size without removing the inlet as I don’t want to keep taking it on and off as knowing my luck something will break

·
Registered
179 Posts
Only way to tell is by removing the inlet.

Wouldn’t bother doing them on a 525d imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only way to tell is by removing the inlet.

Wouldn’t bother doing them on a 525d imo

Is there a reason you wouldn’t bother on the 525d mate? I’ve heard mixed opinions on this.
Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is there a reason you wouldn’t bother on the 525d mate? I’ve heard mixed opinions on this.
Thanks
Swirl flaps were common issue on the 2L 4 cylinder engines, not the 6’s

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for that. Saved me a job
Why not put your VIN into realOEM and see if your manifold has them fitted if they don't you'll have peace of mind. if they are fitted and they're coming to the end of there life you could be lo0king at a new engine. And swirl flaps on the 6 pots can and do get ingested.

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
Swirl flaps were common issue on the 2L 4 cylinder engines, not the 6’s
Where do you get this? Even the newer bigger swirl flaps have failed and some I6 engines have the older 22 mm swirl flaps.

Take a picture from from under intake manifold plenum so you can check which versions you have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Swirl flaps removed today. Think I got there just in time as they where in a bad way. Changed glow plugs and fitted egr delete at the same time. Only problem I have is someone had been there before and lost one of the sleeves and 2 rubber washers from the 11mm nuts holding the manifold down. Any one know where I can get a couple?
Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts