BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ,

i am going to be putting a set of subs and amps into the boot of my bmw i have an e36 saloon 1995. just wondering if you guys have any idea on how to get the wires in to the boot as it seams to have a metal bulkhead at the rear and the back seats dont move at all? and where would be the best place to run the wires as i have always ran them the oppersit side to the alternator?

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
hi ,

i am going to be putting a set of subs and amps into the boot of my bmw i have an e36 saloon 1995. just wondering if you guys have any idea on how to get the wires in to the boot as it seams to have a metal bulkhead at the rear and the back seats dont move at all? and where would be the best place to run the wires as i have always ran them the oppersit side to the alternator?
A20 RYM is the man for this one as hes got a big system in his E36!

i will pm him

·
Platinum BFuk Member
820 Posts
I took mine to an auto electrician to fit my amp and sub, not sure where the wires go through the back, think they go somewhere at the top of the boot, not a lot of help I know:sarcastic

But they do run down the passenger side of the car:thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
How far involved with the wire do you want to get? If you did it my way then I would advise you strip the front seats out to enable you to lift the carpet more easily and then remove the rear seats to reveal the channel on the driver side rear arch that the 6 cylinder power cable would run through. This hole does exist because I have it on my car which originally started as a 318 is.

Whilst having the carpet pulled back in the passenger front footwell you will find a plastic/rubber bung that goes through into the engine bay and comes out beneath where your battery sits. Before running your power cable through here ensure that you fit a grommet so that the wires do not slice on the metal.

Green screwdriver handle shows hole that comes out beneath battery tray:thumbsup

RCA cables I run down the centre of the car:thumbsup

So you are aware of another route into the boot you will notice when the back of the rear seat is removed the complete wiring loom passese through a large rubber grommet that is positioned just below the parcel shelf on the passenger side:thumbsup

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not sure if i'm of full help, but here goes! ...

On my 1995 saloon the back seat clipped right out, first try and lift it, then pull towards you, it worked for me.

Behind the back seat at the center of the metal, there should be an \_/ design (with a line on the top) This is actually a cut, and you can push it straight out, best with a hammer or so. It will be quite a big hole. Feed the wires through there. Also, this will enable more sound to go through the whole car, bass will feel smoother!

I'm guessing you will run the wires from the sides (doors). I found this the easiest option.

Sorry I haven't got any pics, but I hope this helps!

If you didn't understand a word I just said, I don't blame you, finding it difficult to explain you see!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry should of read it properly lol...

The 'metal bulkhead' is what i'm talkin about I think! Hammer it, it should come straight out. I did it on a few of my m8s cars too, the sound on the inside came out much better!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
820 Posts
Sorry should of read it properly lol...

The 'metal bulkhead' is what i'm talkin about I think! Hammer it, it should come straight out. I did it on a few of my m8s cars too, the sound on the inside came out much better!
Err, dont think you should do that m8, isnt it part of the shell of the car and by removing it your car is technically a write off?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Never heard of that before, I was actually advised 2 do it by a professional who does sounds 4 a living. I'll start digging!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
820 Posts
Maybe im thinking of something else m8, but Im sure something along the lines of that has been discussed on this forum, cutting a hole in the partition or something:confused

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not sure...

Hmm... got me thinking now!

All I can remember is that it's right at the center, its metal and has an outline, hit it wit something and it come's flying out!

If I've been told wrong then that guy's gonna get it! You got me all worried now lol!

·
Registered
788 Posts
bmw saloons are the hardest cars to obtain bass from my installers usually fit subs either side of the armrest to get bass into the car , on my old e30 saloon i took drastic measures to make mine sound good i did take the steel centre out of the rear steel backing behind the seat and i also removed the parcel shelf and took an angle grinder to the shelf. i wouldnt recomend this to anybody with a car worth more than £500 lol the best thing to do is to go to your local installers and get there recommendations.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How far involved with the wire do you want to get? If you did it my way then I would advise you strip the front seats out to enable you to lift the carpet more easily and then remove the rear seats to reveal the channel on the driver side rear arch that the 6 cylinder power cable would run through. This hole does exist because I have it on my car which originally started as a 318 is.

Whilst having the carpet pulled back in the passenger front footwell you will find a plastic/rubber bung that goes through into the engine bay and comes out beneath where your battery sits. Before running your power cable through here ensure that you fit a grommet so that the wires do not slice on the metal.

Green screwdriver handle shows hole that comes out beneath battery tray:thumbsup

RCA cables I run down the centre of the car:thumbsup

So you are aware of another route into the boot you will notice when the back of the rear seat is removed the complete wiring loom passese through a large rubber grommet that is positioned just below the parcel shelf on the passenger side:thumbsup
i want to get as involved as pissiable as i want to do a good job of wireing it in unlike some of the chaves that run them down the side if the door or just tuck then under the carpet. so i am going to do it your way i think. the only problem i have now is how do i get the base throught the car with the metal bulk head?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure if i'm of full help, but here goes! ...

On my 1995 saloon the back seat clipped right out, first try and lift it, then pull towards you, it worked for me.

Behind the back seat at the center of the metal, there should be an \_/ design (with a line on the top) This is actually a cut, and you can push it straight out, best with a hammer or so. It will be quite a big hole. Feed the wires through there. Also, this will enable more sound to go through the whole car, bass will feel smoother!

I'm guessing you will run the wires from the sides (doors). I found this the easiest option.

Sorry I haven't got any pics, but I hope this helps!

If you didn't understand a word I just said, I don't blame you, finding it difficult to explain you see!
are you sure this is a cut out? as i wouldnt want to screw my car

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Err, dont think you should do that m8, isnt it part of the shell of the car and by removing it your car is technically a write off?
i want to get as involved as pissiable as i want to do a good job of wireing it in unlike some of the chaves that run them down the side if the door or just tuck then under the carpet. so i am going to do it your way i think. the only problem i have now is how do i get the base throught the car with the metal bulk head?
Have you got your rear seats out yet? If so can you post photo's up of the bulkhead as I am not too familiar with the layout on the saloon. All I know is it has a solid panel that runs from the parcel shelf to the seat base and the passenger arch to the driver arch.

If you can post pictures of the points the wiring passes through the bulkhead that would be a great help:thumbsup

I wouldn't recommend you remove the bulkhead. I once heard a story of someone who mounted subs in one and it ended up writing the car off:frown How true this is, I don't know but it would be enough to put me off:hihi

Have you figured out how and where your subs and amps will be positioned in your boot yet? What are your carpentry skills like?

I will continue to watch this thread and monitor your progress and also post my opinion where required:rofl

·
Platinum BFuk Member
820 Posts
Have you got your rear seats out yet? If so can you post photo's up of the bulkhead as I am not too familiar with the layout on the saloon. All I know is it has a solid panel that runs from the parcel shelf to the seat base and the passenger arch to the driver arch.
Just dug this pic out its from inside the boot, as you can see under the parcel shelf its all metal, like a solid steel box:thumbsup

Pretty sure this runs behind the seats too

Edit: the left of the pic is the back of the seats from inside the boot

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
havent qiute decided on where to put them yet was thinking of removeing the storage pods in the sides of the boot and putting one each side. my wood work skill are ok they could be worse on the plus side i have a mate that is a carpinter which is a result. will take the seats out at the weekend and post some pics

·
Platinum BFuk Member
820 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts