BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 E46 330i M Sport Touring
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a set of Style 32 wheels for my E46 Touring and I'm seeking some advice on fitment, as there seem to be a few variations of these. The wheels I'm buying are an 18" staggered set off an E38, 8J ET 20 at the front and 9J ET 22 at the rear. Obviously I'm after as much tyre as possible but am aware it might be a bit tight under the arches, so I'm expecting to have to roll the arches at the very least. From the sounds of things I might be alright on the front with 225/40/18 but what about the rears? It's worth noting my Touring is an M Sport so sits slightly lower than normal for now and I'm toying with the idea of getting some new shocks and springs further down the line to get it a touch lower.

Is anyone running these exact wheels on their E46 that can share pics, tyre specs and and any work they've done to get the clearance right with no rubbing?

Here's mine on its current MV2's.

·
Vendor
11 Posts
Tourings have less room in the rear arches than others so you are going to need to run some stretch, i would suggest a 215/40 front and 225/40 rear, still may have to roll the arch a bit as a 9" et22 is pretty aggressive

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tourings have less room in the rear arches than others so you are going to need to run some stretch, i would suggest a 215/40 front and 225/40 rear, still may have to roll the arch a bit as a 9" et22 is pretty aggressive
I actually just got a deal on 4 Michelin's PS4's today but they're all 225/40's so I'll have to see how I get on at the front... I have access to a roller but now I'm contemplating just cutting the lip instead, then undercoating and resealing it. Just about to order coil overs too so I've fully committed now 😬

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually just got a deal on 4 Michelin's PS4's today but they're all 225/40's so I'll have to see how I get on at the front... I have access to a roller but now I'm contemplating just cutting the lip instead, then undercoating and resealing it. Just about to order coil overs too so I've fully committed now 😬
Did you manage to get style 32 on pal, I have just refurbed same deep dish style 32 8j 9j wheels. Trying to find out how you get on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you manage to get style 32 on pal, I have just refurbed same deep dish style 32 8j 9j wheels. Trying to find out how you get on?
Ha, coincidentally I just put them on this morning! They fit absolutely fine with the tyre specs I mentioned above but they stick out a bit, especially at the front, but I'll be lowering it next weekend anyway on Bilstein coilovers. So if you're stock height or on m sport suspension you'll be fine. Will let you know how I get on when I start lowering it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I lied... Having just been for a more spirited drive I can confirm the rears are rubbing just slightly on big compressions at higher speeds. Looks like I'll be rolling the arches after all

·
Registered
4 Posts
What a coincidence, I m picking mine up next week. Might go for 215 35 18. Please let me know how you get on with rolling arches. Did you put 225 40 18 all around?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah 225/40 all round. You might get away with a lower profile but from all the posts I've read it sounds like rolling is inevitable. Will let you know how I get on though 👍
Will I be ok with 225 40 18 on standard m sport suspension
That's exactly what I'm on now and the answer is no cos the rears will catch unfortunately. I think rolling is the only way (at the rear only if on m sport - fronts are fine). I'm gonna see whether bringing the back down gives enough camber to prevent any scraping but I think that a roll might be needed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any update pal, I have got the rims back just needing advice on tyres and arches rolling
Hi mate, with 225's you'll be ok on the front on standard m sport suspension (if you go lower in the future you'll need a 215 or even a 205). For the rears, 225/40 rub as I mentioned before so you'll need to roll the arches. Some people go lower than 225/40 on the rear but that's too much of a stretch for me personally

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hope the arches are good they did rust on the e46 and might have been repaired.
Yeah, I have a tiny bubble starting on each side of the lower rear arches that I'm going to get sorted asap but figured I'd do the rolling first

1 - 15 of 15 Posts