BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to this forum but need some advice because made a stupid mistake. Was changing the valve seals and one of the wedges in the oil channel. That’s wat happens if you are to much in a hurry. Hope someone can inform me of the best step. Is it best to take of the cylinder head or better to take of the oil pan?
Hope someone knows what to do best.

Greetings from Holland!

2003 318i e46

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know but where does the hole lead to, don’t know ho far it went in. Try a metal wire tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
It has got to be found one way or the other.
I remember an apprentice asking me why i used a magnet to lift them out about 38 years ago hope he took it in why.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Not nice.

I'd start by trying as strong a magnet as you can and hoping it can shift it. Then I'd remove the head and blow (compressed air) from the opposite side it went in ... with the magnet as a 'catcher' and a fine sieve, and use whichever holes seem appropriate or close. Hopefully it isn't stuck and is too large to fall totally through, otherwise it's at least sump off ...

Only done this once many years ago on an old Ford, but got lucky and got it out by Magnet!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it back to day, totally happy!! Used a endoscope to see where it was and a strong magnet to take it out.

thanks for the support and advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts