BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'04 330d Sport Auto, '99 523i SE Saloon
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever the car is driven in wet weather then parked up, I return to find the windows are all heavily misted up - implying water is getting into the car somehow, but it is not apparent how. Note the misting does not happen when the car is being driven, only AFTER being driven.

I've checked the drains around the windscreen - all clear, checked the carpets in the footwells - no apparent dampness. Can't figure this one out but it is a bit annoying to say the least! Any ideas?

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Tire

·
Registered
743 Posts
Do you drive with the recirculating on?
Have a check of the pollen filter to make sure that’s dry and also the heater box moisture drain isn’t blocked holding water inside it.
Have you checked in the boot to make sure no water is collecting in the spare wheel well?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't use recirc in normal driving. Will check boot/wheel well next time but there are no obvious signs of water ingress in the boot generally. Will double check pollen filter but I don't think its that as surely if that was getting wet it would hold moisture and it would fog up on dry days too not just wet ones.
What is the "heater box" drain you mentioned and how do I check that?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Check all the door water vapour barriers. When driving the water doesn't trickle down the windows so much as the wind blows it off. When parked, it drips down the glass, through the door, past any vapour barrier bits that have come unstuck, and ends up in the carpets causing misting.

Open each door and pour a bottle of water over the outside of the glass. If any water emerges between the door card and the door, you have found your culprit. Whip the door card off and reseal the membrane with bituminous tape.

Been there with both my E46 and E63.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
As all of the above - there is definitely a puddle of water somewhere
Check under rear mats
Check battery box too (...if the battery is in the boot?)

:)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll check the doors for rain leaks but as I say, I've had a good feel around the carpets and none of them felt obviously damp. Will check battery box too but I'd be very surprised if that was the cause as its in the boot.
Plenty of rain forecast for this weekend so I'll have ample time to investigate!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't use the AC during winter. There was a small leak coming in from the rear door when I poured water on the window so I think it was probably that. The damp will have been collecting next to the rear seat and I must admit I did not think to check the carpet in that area.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sounds like you have found the issue, it just needs dried out thoroughly now. Putting the a/c on may help as it removes moisture when on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts