BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The steering wheel on my 2011 E91 was looking all of it's 10 years & 135k miles so managed to find a good used one on eBay locally for not much money - job done!
Then I started to look at the scabby one I'd taken off and thought, those retrim kits on AliExpress seem good value, how hard can it be?...

Here's the reason the wheel was replaced

And the stitching starting to fray where my thumb sits most of the time

So I did some homework and watched a few YouTube tutorials and decided it was doable and found myself being quite critical of some of the results on YouTube

Settled on a real leather kit with red and blue stitching thinking i was getting the 3 colour M Sport stitching £20 delivered from China in about 10 days
Unfortunately, not sure if I ordered the wrong option but the thread supplied didn't come in 2 shades of blue - light blue x2 and red and a spare black
so I ended up ordering some Royal Blue thread off eBay £2.67

As with most things, I figured the quality of the final finish was going to be in the prep and after seeing videos and pictures on line it was obvious the joint in the leather falls in a different place with the kit and the original leather and leaves a divot in the finished cover so 1st job was fill the divot

and sand it flush

I didn't want the double thickness of leather to look bulky and hold the centre trim proud when it is replaced so I trimmed back the original leather at the 3 spokes

And to give myself a groove to tuck the leather into on the rear of the spokes I trimmed the OG leather back a couple of mm

Then the new cover goes on and aligned - positioned circumferentially and around the rim to line up the stitched seam with the seam on the original leather

There is a little excess around the spokes that needs to be trimmed off later but first I stitched a trial section to check when the seam is pulled tight the zig zag doesn't pull the joins of the leather sections out of line

spare black thread put to use

Once I was happy with my start point I then binned the double sided tape that comes with the kit and opted for spray contact adhesive as I thought this would provide better opportunity to adjust and rework the stretching and position of the cover as I went

So the stitching began, every other stitch and single thread. I did about 7 or 8 stitches then pulled them tight then 7-8 more then pull them tight and sew (sic) on
Others on the web use double thread but you can really swing on this stuff and it isn't snapping. And some stitch every stitch which doesn't look right either although, as per original, every stitch is done close to the spokes and around the curves.

When I got to the spokes I held the leather tight and judged how much would need trimming off to sit right on the curve. I then set about unpicking the extra stiches and tying off the treads to prevent them pulling out

Here is as it came

and here is the opposite side trimmed to fit

Here the stitches unpicked, tied off and the leather cut back ready to stitch up and spray glued ready to tuck the edges in...

This was the most fiddly part but patients is definitely a virtue (I was concentrating on the job in hand and should have taken more pics)

Some sore fingers and thumbs later here is the results...

:)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Something to be aware of... well I am now!
The steering wheel angle sensor does not like it if you disconnect the battery and inadvertently move the steering wheel while you maybe, for example, changing the steering wheel.

Results in DSC error and tyre pressure system, FTM, error. "Please Drive Moderately" pah!

I'm hoping a 20min battery disconnect and error code delete will sort it (battery currently disconnected) otherwise the steering angle going to have to be reset/coded

·
Registered
2013 F11 503d
315 Posts
Did the disconnection work? Your right, they dont like being moved when the wheel is not attached. When you buy them they have a tab to stop the rotation and a big warning to not remove until fitting the wheel. Hopefully you got sorted and can enjoy that lovely refurbed leather wheel.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the battery disconnected for around 1 hour but it didn't sort it - I've read it needs to be overnight so that's next step
Also read the system will adapt and set itself once it figures out where the dead ahead is in relation to the wheels speed sensors an the steering angle sensor but takes 200 miles or so
Apparently the steering angle sensor is powered all the time and will detect steering angle changes 24/7 so a movement with the battery disconnected screws it up

The steering wheel has index marks and can only go on one way so I have no issues with the position of the wheel on the column it's just the computer that is a little confused - typical!

·
Registered
2013 F11 503d
315 Posts
Ive often wondered why the dont have an option on these to insert a pin into it to lock it in place because it is very easy to knock it and upset the alignment.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Been dabbling with steering wheels again - My lad has a 2012 Polo Match with a rather ordinary plastic steering wheel

So I managed to pick this up cheap on eBay

After a good clean it needed a bit of TLC around the face of the leather so I've tried some liquid shoe polish, We'll see how it holds up otherwise back to eBay for some leather dye

Followed by unpicking the centre black stitching and re doing it with red

Reactions: Greasy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts