BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone cured this knocking sound in the past? It's happening when hitting imperfections in the road and transfering through to the steering wheel as a type of judder.

Any thoughts?
Ian

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I think you might have found the problem. It is joint that have play or the section with bolt. Maybe you could tighten the bolt to higher torque.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you might have found the problem. It is joint that have play or the section with bolt. Maybe you could tighten the bolt to higher torque.
Possibly is that but I can't seem to see any play in it. I'll try and have a go at it when I've got more time (y)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
When it is engine mounts, you have have more vibrations issue.
And most time you will see some leaking spots at mounts.

·
Registered
780 Posts
That sounds to me like a splined joint, it's not a single clonk or knock, but a multiple, so maybe the CV joint is dry and needs replacing. Or with the wobble could also be one side of a wheel bearing. When you drive and turn full lock does it also knock then, either direction, or in reverse when turning full lock? If so it's almost certainly CV joint.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
When I replaced the rubber joint, I could remember bolt is just enough to tighten down to specific length.

Because bolt is has only short thread, so you could add some washer and tighten down and see what happen with this knocking noise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you get this sorted? If you did, what was it?
Thought it was sorted when I took it in to have work done on it. Had the front wishbones, track rod ends (which they said would cure it) replaced, also had a new radiator and water pump done, as it was bowing, but still the knocking is there only slightly less so.

·
Registered
139 Posts
As the car isn't moving in the video when you're reproducing the noise, it's likely in the steering components. Possibly the rack or coupler/joints that attach to the column, or both. There was possibly some play in the old tie rods explaining why it isn't as bad now.

I wondered as I'm sorting a steering clunk out on mine at the moment, happens at low speeds when turning. I know the suspension is ok and it's in the steering somewhere. I'm pretty confident the rack is worn just not quite sure what condition the steering coupler and joints are in. Got a feeling that they could be contributing to it also. It's in the garage Monday for a bit further diagnosis.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts