BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am new to this so i thank you in advance for your time and help!

I have had this issue for a long time with my E88 123D Convertible for months and not one mechanic has been able to diagnose the problem!

Its hard to explain so here goes... When i am driving my steering follows the camber in the road unless i counter steer, this is even on roads with minimum camber, my wheels feel like they wobble if i hit a pothole and feels like it wants to drag me to whichever side the pothole was situated. Also i have noticed that when i reverse onto my drive when going up the kerb, the steering wheel could do a half a turn without me touching the wheel, it will always turn left as when i reverse onto my drive the right hand side of the kerb is slightly more raised than the left.I am no vehicle expert but i'm pretty sure this should not be the case!

I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this before i go and start getting things changed? If anyone can help me diagnose this i will be very very grateful as i love this car!

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
421 Posts
First check tyre pressure. Secondly get wheel alignment checked out. If it still happens after that then you looking at something bit deeper

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
You have run-flat tyres ??? .
When i had them fitted my car would be all over the road especially if there had been some roadwork done and tarmac patched up.
Play around with the pressures in the front's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First check tyre pressure. Secondly get wheel alignment checked out. If it still happens after that then you looking at something bit deeper
Since the problem arose I have changed tyre’s all round. I have gone to the recommended PSI all round. Which in my eyes seems a bit excessive, my backs are at 48 and my fronts are 42 PSI. It has also been aligned multiple times but no joy in getting any better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have run-flat tyres ??? .
When i had them fitted my car would be all over the road especially if there had been some roadwork done and tarmac patched up.
Play around with the pressures in the front's.
Yes I have run flats all round but it seemed to be the same when I had non run flats. I’ll mess with the pressure in fronts later to see if that help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That sounds way more than a geometry issue, if when you reverse up a kerb & your steering wheel actually turns there is something seriously wrong. The steering rack is having to be pulled to move the steering wheel, you need to get it up on a ramp ASAP whether it’s a rack or a lower control arm at fault. At least get it up on axle stands at home if you can & get a pry bar into all the suspension components, something has to be moving, hopefully it’s a simple overlooked part

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at getting my control arms changed anyway as I can imagine the bushes aren’t in the best condition. Hopefully this will sort it!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts