BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Since the weather has picked up I want to detail my car a little bit. I currently just use Autoglym shampoo followed by Autoglym SRP which is great and leaves a nice finish. However would like to add some protection to that so I was thinking about Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, Rapid Detailer or even some Spray Wax?

What are your thoughts on this? What is best? I currently have no tools so everything is done by hand. At the same time and I want to waste too much time cleaning my car so would like a product that you can apply quickly for best results.

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Extra gloss protection has to be left to cure for 30/60 min then buffed off,and it can be a pig if left to long or done in bright light....
If you want really easy and really cheap then get a bottle of carplan No1 super gloss..less than a tenner...just spay 1 or 2 sprays on a panel, spread with microfiber cloth and buff.....easy and it will bead like crazy..... use it every couple of weeks..job done......
I used to use it but since I had the car quartz coated I no longer bother....

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Hi Guys,

Since the weather has picked up I want to detail my car a little bit. I currently just use Autoglym shampoo followed by Autoglym SRP which is great and leaves a nice finish. However would like to add some protection to that so I was thinking about Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, Rapid Detailer or even some Spray Wax?

What are your thoughts on this? What is best? I currently have no tools so everything is done by hand. At the same time and I want to waste too much time cleaning my car so would like a product that you can apply quickly for best results.

Thanks!
i use fusso99 soft its phenominal for the price..under £25 and the amount you use it will last till 2060 no problem..easy to put on and wipe off..its japanese ..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer...always on offer at Euro Car Parts. Possibly the best spray on wipe off protection product you can get hold of for cheap as chips money.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
Collinite 476 lasts a moons age...slap it on forget about waxing or anything for months...

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
All of the above! :thumbsup

Seriously any one of the products mentioned you will be happy with

Personally I use Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax - Its an absolute bargain price cos it's a big tin comes with an applicator and a half decent microfiber cloth for £15. But don't assume that's the gimmick to make you buy it, where it really shines (intended!) is the finish and importantly for someone who doesn't have much time for detailing is the durability, the water beading is fantastic and lasts for months. Like Fusso99 (post #3)and Collinite (post #5) less is more when applying it - sparingly is the keyword

I also use the Carplan No1 Super Gloss (post #2) when I'm drying my car, one squirt across a wet panel before wiping with the drying towel and keeps the paint in tip top glossyness I even dilute it 50/50 to use as a drying aid without any loss of performance

BSD (post #4) just google a video of the water repellent properties of this stuff and be amazed

:)

Reactions: scrawler

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Spray wax is probably easier to apply but generally you don't get anywhere near the durability of a paste wax so you end up applying more often
Setting aside an afternoon to properly wash, decontaminate and protect your car twice a year and quicker treatments in between pays dividends in the less time it then takes to clean the car...

...and you'll have that satisfying turn to look back at the car (twice!) when you park it ;)

:)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great! I'll choose one and I'll pick it up for this weekend. For me it's 2x afternoon's as I have to do my car and my wife's Civic lol. I'm sure it will be well worth the hassle. Might have to think about investing into a buffer as well.

Thanks Forsh!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would spend some time prepping your car. Decontaminate with iron x or similar, detar then claybar. You can then apply a finish. Personally I would recommend Gtechniq C2 v3. Very cost effective and so easy to apply and will bead for about 6 months. Importantly it works on plastics as well and doesn’t leave a residue. The shine is easily topped up by applying a very sparing spray when the car is wet and then drying with a quality towel

·
Registered
1 Posts
Collinite 476 lasts a moons age...slap it on forget about waxing or anything for months...
Wow! never heard of this before, or the fusso99 mentioned by rasa_golf.

I would have thought this would be a pain to apply but it seems so easy. Seems easier to put on than rain-x.

Thinking of getting this done after a normal carwash on my old e60.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts

I would have thought this would be a pain to apply but it seems so easy. Seems easier to put on than rain-x.

yeh,,i wax my windscreen and side windows,,its proably the same as rain x,,works for a week then fades,,rain x does not last if you use your windscreen wipers..it wipes it off after a while,same as wax...you have to use your wipers and its hard not to,,but first application of either wax or rain x,,then go out on pouring rain,,its great..b ut grime/dew etc in the mornings,,then driving very slow,and wipers are needed..fusso99 soft is very very good,,lasts 6 months ,,it says 12 on the tin,,never tried it after 12 months as i do the every 4-6 onths with a good wax..makes cleaning the car easier as the dirt has stuck to the wax and not the car..

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts

works wonders on raw polished alloy or metals aswell it stops it blooming and scabbing...

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Hi all, this has been great reading these, as a constant car polisher I find that service or polish scratches are my problem, I use micro fibre soft clothes. At the moment I’m using Auto Glym super resin which is good but still suffer these service scratches I can detect in sunlight. Any of these polishes I’m open to try but any comments on will it get rid of these on my White F36, only had the car five weeks, cars 18mths old,so wanting to get protection on this, thanks for brilliant posts.l

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Hi all, this has been great reading these, as a constant car polisher I find that service or polish scratches are my problem, I use micro fibre soft clothes. At the moment I’m using Auto Glym super resin which is good but still suffer these service scratches I can detect in sunlight. Any of these polishes I’m open to try but any comments on will it get rid of these on my White F36, only had the car five weeks, cars 18mths old,so wanting to get protection on this, thanks for brilliant posts.l
you will not get rid by hand polishing,,you will need a machine polisher..i only paid £85 for my da polisher from e bay with loads of accessories like pads/etc..i can post a link tot he ones if you would like,,i also would say get a "da" as the dual action helps from burning the paint..and a good polish would be meguires ultimate compound,,its virtually fool proof,great for swirls as you describe..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi guys,

Thank you for all of your input. I've got 5 from this thread that I will use one by one and then hopefully settle down on one. I've bought myself Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax to try out first.

Washed the car 2 weeks ago, applied SRP (find it quite hard to polish by hand) and then Bilt Hamber DSW, worked like a charm and it's still waterproof. The only problem now is that dust tend to settle on the car as I do 500 miles per week, how do I maintain it or what to use in between waxing every 3 months? Or do I just wash it with clean water and dry it clean? Obviously I don't want to use anything that will take the coat of wax off the car.

I would like to wash it every 2 weeks and apply wax every 6th wash.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
if its only dust,,then a wash/wax will be ok to use i use it myself on a clean car..wen i say clean i mean just dust etc,,try wilkinsons Triplewax Waterless Wash and Shine 1L at wilko.com. i bought 5 bottles a couple of years ago wen it was on offer for £2 a bottle..and also they sell a giant grey micro towel,£2,the best ive used and ive got nearly every brand going..just spray it on and wipe off..but do not use it on a muddy car etc only lightly soiled car.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I recently came across this channel on YouTube....Forensic Detailing Channel. Fantastic resource for those who want to move on from just a wash and dry.

The guy really puts a huge amount of time and energy into his videos (maybe too much at times!!). I highly recommend them.

"https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_4lRohBzY20wjsFGWS0Jzg"

If ever met him I'd have to buy him a pint or two!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I would say I’m similar to the OP.

Not an expert by any means and I just don’t get the time I would like to properly detail my car. Still, I do like it to look nice.

I’ve always got on well with autoglym. Twice a year I’ll use SRP followed by Extra Gloss Protection which I find really easy to apply and buff up. Just once I year I do a thorough job with a bilt hamber clay bar to decontaminate first. The rest of the time it’s just autoglym shampoo which I rate very highly followed by wax it wet whilst drying with microfibre.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts