BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here so I'm not sure if this is under the right section. Not a huge petrolhead so looking for an answer to this query. I had always previously been under the impression that using Sport mode would increase fuel consumption, but is this true in this case: 2019 BMW 118i M Sport Shadow Edition Manual. Since this is manual, sport or sport+ can't increase fuel consumption through holding gears longer since this is performed by the driver. The vehicle does not have adaptive suspension.From some forum reading I have gathered that this only leaves a couple of things that the sport mode could change on the car, which is throttle responsiveness and steering wheel stiffness. I read something brief online that in some cases turbo may be affected by sport mode but couldn't find if that was model specific to a 1 Series or not. Have I got this right? And if only these controls are affected by the use of sport mode then is fuel consumption barely affected? Cheers

·
Registered
128 Posts
Of course the fuel consumption will be affected. In sport the pedal travel to achieve good acceleration is much shorter than is comfort or eco.

Best way of demonstrating it is keep your foot steady on eco so your speed is constant and not increasing. Then change to sport and while keeping your foot down notice how the car is now accelerating.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts