BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Sorry if this is in the wrong area, new user so my bad

Basically, I parked up my e46 coupe on a side road while visiting a friend last night.

I came out a few hours later to see my bonnet had been dented inwards between the two grilles. The grilles had also fallen out and would not go back in as the dent was in the middle of them.

The driver of the car who hit me drove off by the time I got out. I know it was a silver bmw X5 But I didn't remember the reg when I parked up. I know the car was a Bmw X5 but notbing more than that. It was 1am so no witnesses either. No CCTV either.

What do I do about this? I'll post a pic later but it's literally just a dent in between the two grilles. Are these difficult to fix?

I'm worried that the other party may turn around and claim against me, they have my reg and could say I drove into them. It's happened to a friend of mine.

But at the same time I don't want to leave a mark on my insurance over nothing.

Any advice guys? Never happened to me before

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
not a lot you can do and I very much doubt he will claim against you. I had a similar experience and told my insurance company and it counted against me when I renewed my policy even though I didn't claim for the damage they call it a notification only claim and some insurers weight on these.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So would you suggest I just leave it alone?

How much do you think it would cost to pop that dent out?

I've been told to let police know as it's a hit and run, but what do I tell them lol. I have no idea who it is

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
the police will do nothing I told them about mine and it was a waste of time even though I saw the number plate. You either go to your insurer and get it repaired thus losing a year of NCB and paying an excess or get it fixed at your own expense. The fact that it wasn't your fault doesn't mean you won't lose out that's just how it is. as for cost you need a few quotes as bodywork varies hugely.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It might be cheaper to actually source and fit a replacement bonnet than to get your current bonnet repaired.

I remember when I bought my car the bonnet needed a respray, was quoted £300ish. But managed to get a perfect replacement same colour for £80.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had the same thing outside mg house Thursday night . Bumper and rear wheel arch dented . Absolutely gutted but nothing I can do :-((

·
4,567 Posts
Same thing happened to our old 316i, same place too.

I'd take it to a body shop first, and if they can't fix it then source a new bonnet. The facelift coupe bonnets are highly sought after and expensive for that reason.!

I was going to replace mine and called quarry motor, they said they have a waiting list for them with deposits already paid.!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info all

Got a local body shop to hammer out the dent for £20. Looks decent enough but you can tell it's been hit. The grilles fit back on now so I'm a little pleased. Still need to find some new ones though, these are now cracked

Still so annoyed that people can be this dishonest. Never saw that car again now :(

Having said that. Is my best bet to leave insurance and police out of this one?

·
Registered
159 Posts
A few weeks ago a so called work colleague hit my car at work whilst reversing. The pr*ck then stated it was my fault. How can that be if I'm parked and his car was moving? Anyway just said that's OK then, he drove off and neglected to give me his details, which means it constitutes a hit and run here. Gave the insurance company his "work" number and they "softened" him up a bit to cough up. Car is now at the repairers, no excess thanks to my colleague. Jeebz 92 Hope all sorted now. Some dirty bastards on the road these days.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers guys. I really appreciate the guidance on this.
I'll pick up some grilles after a while.

And yeah I'm slightly worried that the other driver will then turn around and say I drove into him. Such assholes on the road

1 - 12 of 12 Posts