BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, newbie here.

A bit out of season I know, but after having to get rescued several times last Winter in my allergic-to-snow-and-ice 1 series I'm already thinking about precautions for this year.

Snow Socks seem like a good idea - but I can't find a pair that will fit my Bridgestone run flats (205/55/R16). Snow chains, yes, but not snow socks.

I Just wondered if anyone has had a similar problem and found a solution?

thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the tip (and welcome), autosock website not taking online orders, so they send you to roofbox.co.uk who are...BUT the roofbox help man tells me that the product numbers on both websites are out of date and/or wrong (apparently I need a 645 designed for 18" tyres on my 16" ones). V. confused...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just make sure you buy them for the rear wheels - I saw a pic, on here I think, of some fool with them on the front wheels:hihi

·
Registered
503 Posts
The 645 are also fitted to 205/55 17 according to the Autosock website, you may be best ordering them and checking. Or email Autosocks with your problem.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I did think about snow socks but decided against them in favour of winter tyres. My concern was you'll have to stop to take them off if/when you are able to go above 30 (and they'll be filthy) and they don't help you stop or steer.

Ian
Spare set of winter tyres or chains all the way.

Had 2 pushes in 22 years and never bothered about going out in snow.
Bought chains last year just because you never need what you already have, though logically that means I will need a 4x4 now as that is the thing I don't have and hence might need ;)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to say that my AutoSock Snow Socks have arrived from The Roof Box (the right size!) and they're really easy to fit.

On my first try I managed to get one on both rear tyres in under 4 minutes (including rolling the tyres back to get the last bit round) and they came off in less than 90secs.

You'd need an old coat and a pad to kneel on to fit them in snowy conditions as I think you'd get really mucky and wet otherwise, but I'm very impressed with how simple they are to fit.

Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts