BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new to the Forum and I would like to thank you in advance of helping me with my enquiry. I currently own a BMW X6 3.5 Diesel, which I bought used back in November. As there is high probability I am travelling to the French Alps during March I was searching for appropriate snow chains for my tyres' specification, which are rear 315/35 R20. Having checked the handbook I was disappointed to see that BMW permits snow chains only for R19 tyres. However, checking around online I was able to find specific snow chains for my R20 tyres. Do you guys think I should buy them or it is just a waste of money? I didnt consider the option of winter tyres as winter is almost over and its not worth buying them for just 4-5 days a year trip to the Alps...

Thanks in advance!

Alex

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Alex,

If the handbook only lists chains on 19" wheels then you may find that chains on your current wheels could catch on the bodywork. If you are taking the vehicle to the Alps then you could find that chains are compulsory if they have had recent snowfall. I see your options as follows:
1. buy the 20" chains and see if they fit or not
2. buy 20" winter tyres
3. buy new set of 19" wheels and winter tyres
4. risk it

Cheers,

Phill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts