BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know theres a lot of Angel Eye threads on here but I've had a look through them and I still can't work out whats best.

I have a silver E36 coupe, and want to get some angel eyes. My budget isn't great but I am willing to save up if its really worth it.

Now, I should firstly say I don't like the units that come with 'chrome housing' and I don't think 'black housing' would right on a silver e36 - unless anyone has photos ?

I've looked at the Hella Angel Eyes, but I think I'd rather keep the factory indicators.

I've seen the products like this on both Ebay and a couple of online stores and I think this would be my favoured option, however how easy/difficult to fit?

So to sum up;

I want Angel Eyes that aren't going to replace my factory indicators
I don't want 'chrome housing' and am unsure what 'black housing' will look like

If anyone/everyone who has a silver e36 or e46 with angel eyes can post photos and give their opinions, and if anyone who has bought the ones like in link above can post photos and give their opinion on fitting them also, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
97 Posts
i dont have any photos as to how the different housings look but i personally think its more nicer looking to keep the OEM headlights but fit the the CCFL rings by urself.

Its not extremely hard - just takes some time.
http://bmwdiy.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-install-e36-angel-eyes.html

btw, installing those angel eyes will make ur normal driving lights look VERY yellow..:jaw-droppingl

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I have the very early type that Hella released. The only problem is the rings do not light up very bright. The units look standard and still use the separate indicator too.

I'd really like to know how to make the rings brighter if it's possible:confused

·
Registered
753 Posts
Are the hella ones sealed units A20? If not cound you not remove the rings and fit some CCfl ones and wire the power invertors into the sidelight plug? JUst a though :hihi

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. I do think that the CCFL rings would be my favoured choice, I just don't like the thought of having to unscrew stuff, but I suppose if note everything and take photos and follow that guide I should be ok.

I'm hoping that as I have upgraded my headlight bulbs to xenon-look ones that they won't look too yellowy then in comparison ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm hoping that as I have upgraded my headlight bulbs to xenon-look ones that they won't look too yellowy then in comparison ;)
I dont think thats a good idea...ALOT of bulbs with xenon looks will perform much worse than oems. i suppose some people prefer style over function? :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
"xenon look" bulbs are purely for looks. that said - what bulbs are u using? a lot of drivers have complained about the poor lighting of them

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I was using some Halfords Extreme Brilliance ones and they were really good but not Xenon-looking as such, I also had Halfords Super Brilliance Blue ones but although they had a nice tint the light they gave out were poor. I got some random ones off Ebay last week as they were really cheap, and they're xenon-look and also give out really good lighting.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I Got a set of 100w bulbs off of Ebay for my old e46, they were bright! and pretty white looking too but they were not exactly road legal :rofl

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I've got my CCFL Angel Eyes in now, me and a mate installed them last night. Took a fair while and was a bit daunting but the finished result is fantastic. They're still visible with headlights on and don't make the headlights look dim. I tried getting a photo last night but they were too bright for my iPhone camera!

Got one this morning in daylight

1 - 12 of 12 Posts