BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Should Bimmerforums OT forum allow swearing?

• Yes, I think swearing should be ok as long as users are warned when they enter the Open Topic forum

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Nope, why do we need to swear? this is a car forum! I've got the wife/friend/dog to swear at!!!

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Maybe, I don't mind if people swear or not!

Votes: 9 36.0%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As above guys..

seeing as some of you have been moaning about the 'no swearing' forum rules (without asterisking a letter from the word..like t*at) I have posted a poll to see the true feelings of the forum :hihi

Also, if you DO think swearing should be allowed? are you including even the most filthy of words? or just common ones?

Please poll and post away

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I haven't moaned! :D, damn f***ing whingers! :rofl

I would just say that Open Topic needs a warning on the description title, so then you have been warned and know that there may be offensive to some material.

I wouldn't say we need a swearing section, we would never get Gordon out of there :rofl

·
Registered
884 Posts
:lol

Nah, I may be picking this up wrongly, but I think all of this is missing the point. To create a 'swearing section' would be absurd. It would be akin to a smoking section (as was) in a pub or an aeroplane. It would be like the whole point of visiting it would be to swear, which is not what's required. I, and anyone else, can swear at home, in the pub, etc. to our heart's content. My own personal objection is that the policy infringes the individual's right to express himself as he sees fit. Who among us never swears? The overwhelming majority of posts I have contributed to the forum, I haven't intended to swear in them. But on the few occasions where I feel it is appropriate, it would be nice not to be worrying like a naughty schoolkid about being booted for it. I'm sure I'm not alone in that. We're all adults in here.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:lol

Nah, I may be picking this up wrongly, but I think all of this is missing the point. To create a 'swearing section' would be absurd. It would be akin to a smoking section (as was) in a pub or an aeroplane. It would be like the whole point of visiting it would be to swear, which is not what's required. I, and anyone else, can swear at home, in the pub, etc. to our heart's content. My own personal objection is that the policy infringes the individual's right to express himself as he sees fit. Who among us never swears? The overwhelming majority of posts I have contributed to the forum, I haven't intended to swear in them. But on the few occasions where I feel it is appropriate, it would be nice not to be worrying like a naughty schoolkid about being booted for it. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.
I take your point...

But a notable Toyota forum I visit has a NWS section...
for thread of a more dirty or rude nature...anything goes type stuff.

Well, I will change the poll then...

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
personally i don't like to swear with the written word...but sometimes i would like to,even if just to reinforce a point.
however,some jokes can't be posted if they contain the odd swear word,and they aren't as funny without.
theres no need for any children to be reading a car forum,so i can't see a problem there.
just my 2p :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
As above guys..

seeing as some of you have been moaning about the 'no swearing' forum rules (without asterisking a letter from the word..like t*at) I have posted a poll to see the true feelings of the forum :hihi

Also, if you DO think swearing should be allowed? are you including even the most filthy of words? or just common ones?

Please poll and post away
I shall be interested in the result of this poll. If allowed to continue. I for one will be leaving.

Good riddance I hear you say.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shall be interested in the result of this poll. If allowed to continue. I for one will be leaving.

Good riddance I hear you say.
No one forces anyone to read threads in the Open Topic section Alan.
The main bulk of the forum would still remain swear free regardless even if ths won the vote ;)

....but I dont think it will :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you allow swearing you could prevent people from accessing the site from work as the use of text analysis in web filtering is pretty common.

Ian
Thats true!
My work is very funny about stuff like that and it has blacklisted a few sites that have got 'innapropriate content' :eek

·
Registered
227 Posts
No one forces anyone to read threads in the Open Topic section Alan.
The main bulk of the forum would still remain swear free regardless even if ths won the vote ;)

....but I dont think it will :)
OK bootist. I accept what you say, but I still can't see the point in using expletives in normal conversation. If telling a joke, that is different. Why not have a joke section? You then have a choice whether you enter or not. :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I think that its important to remember that we have unregistered users on the site, such as guests, there's likely to be many people who are 16/17 years old visitng the forum and its threads.

Whilst i have no objection to the 'odd' swear word, I think it just requires common sense by everyone to post replies in an appropriate manner. I always '*' any words (not that I use them often I guess) accordingly. I also think that using the smillies we have can be comfortably use instead of having to swear.

As for a jokes section, many forums run this with out any issues, however the Volvo forum that I am a member of had a great joke section but it was then pulled. A reader (that I can only assume was asian) took offence to a joke that even I could not see the harm in. However, due to political correctness etc, the entire jokes forum was abolished.

Jokes exist for nearly every aspect of everyday life, even surrounding tragic events that are not funny (such as Sept 11 2001/9-11) etc. All sorts of religious jokes exist for all cultures and so on. As a result, I believe in a saying which is;

if its given with no malice, take it with no malice

It would only take one person to ruin such a thing like a joke fourm, but it vital to remember how much extra work (and stress) this can cause for our Moderators who have to monitor and handle any forum issues accordingly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
well another interesting thread i see
i dont mind swearing as its a normal part of my speech :rofl
but i could understand a few older people not being in favour
so i do use the ** if i feel the need to express myself and it doesnt really cause a problem to stick one in your chosen swear word
im sure most agree,i feel that is meeting half way?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think that its important to remember that we have unregistered users on the site, such as guests, there's likely to be many people who are 16/17 years old visitng the forum and its threads.
Is this a problem? If they're allowed to shag (can I say that?), I think swearing would be okay. I'm fairly certain I did both those things at that age.

As for a jokes section, many forums run this without any issues, however the Volvo forum that I am a member of had a great joke section but it was then pulled. A reader (that I can only assume was asian) took offence to a joke that even I could not see the harm in. However, due to political correctness etc, the entire jokes forum was abolished.
You see, that is called letting the lunatics run the asylum. One uptight moron gets a bee in his bonnet about something harmless, and that's it ruined for everyone else who just wants to have a laugh. Do you want a world run by "political correctness'? Personally, that gets up my nose.

Jokes exist for nearly every aspect of everyday life, even surrounding tragic events that are not funny (such as Sept 11 2001/9-11) etc. All sorts of religious jokes exist for all cultures and so on. As a result, I believe in a saying which is;

if its given with no malice, take it with no malice
In my opinion, joking about things helps to deal with them. Joking about Auschwitz, 9/11, Asians, fat people, Lockerbie, etc. is a coping device. How many times have you heard people say, "You have to laugh, because if you didn't, you'd cry"?

It would only take one person to ruin such a thing like a joke forum, but it vital to remember how much extra work (and stress) this can cause for our Moderators who have to monitor and handle any forum issues accordingly.
Hmm. I think such a thing would probably benefit from smaller government. Obviously, if people are starting to post neo-Nazi propaganda 'jokes' or something like that, it's an issue, but I think everyone needs to really chill out a bit about not offending everyone in sight. It doesn't matter what you say, if you look around enough, you can always find some prick who will be upset by it. Do you want to live your life according to never upsetting these idiots, or do you just want to speak your mind, let them get upset by it, and carry on regardless?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
GordonJ, I agree with your comments.... all valid points, but I was just looking at the wider picture simply to show the view from that perspective.

I am all for a jokes forum and i'm not the sort of person who is easily offended by such material etc. However, I just hope that nothing like what happened on the Volvo forum re: jokes section happens here as it will not be easy for the moderators to deal with as any such matter will have to be dealt following whatever procedures they may have in place for handling such matters.

I personally think a jokes forum would be great, but put on a disclaimer stating that there may be some material that some may find offensive etc.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GordonJ, I agree with your comments.... all valid points, but I was just looking at the wider picture simply to show the view from that perspective.

I am all for a jokes forum and i'm not the sort of person who is easily offended by such material etc. However, I just hope that nothing like what happened on the Volvo forum re: jokes section happens here as it will not be easy for the moderators to deal with as any such matter will have to be dealt following whatever procedures they may have in place for handling such matters.

I personally think a jokes forum would be great, but put on a disclaimer stating that there may be some material that some may find offensive etc.

Some Good posts and points made by DSK.

Also by Gordon.

A jokes forum would seem to be a halfway measure....but Gordon J, letting it 'go free' would be a recipe for disaster IMO.

What one person thinks is racist, another may not... etc

and as DSK says, some things especially in that area can get blown out of all proportion and cause a hell of a lot more grief than they are worth (for the forum 'management' as well as users to some degree)

The jurys still out with this poll, though it looks like it could be close :confused:D

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
lets be honest here...there are passionate arguments against,but nobody is that passionate for.seems a no brainer :)
i said maybe...but i'm not that fussed if i can't(i do have some funn pics on my photobucket that i can't reall use though)
a thought just occurred...maybe you could have a closed forum that reqs membership and a disclaimer agreed to for adult material (not nudity though)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
If we allow swearing then we'll have to allow nudity!:lol At least many will enjoy viewing that..................................... Or will they???

Maybe a new poll??? :lol

1 - 20 of 46 Posts