BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many will know I've had ongoing niggly problems with my DPF and various sensors over the last 18 months

Anyway my uncle recently had a breakdown in his 3 series diesel GT, it just stalled and wouldn't restart, after a week of investigation BMW said it was fuel contamination - probably Biodiesel and the car needed 8k's worth of work - basically anything the contaminated fuel had touched got replaced, uncles brother-in-law said he should have run something like Shell V-power through it every few tanks, so I thought I'll give it a go on my 530d, guess what all the sensor error codes and dpf issues have not been back since (1.5 tanks worth so far)

I've been using shell now for last few weeks now but only recently used V-Power

Coincidence or is is really good stuff?

·
Registered
374 Posts
V-power has some cleaning properties mixed in with it it's like putting fuel cleaner in your car. Dirty diesel :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bollocks i say..although some forecourts use more bio derv int he fuel,,morrisisns do i think,,ive never ever used anything but asda..never ever had a running problem

Was you talking about the 3 series? - I said it seem very bizarre that a low mix of biodiesel would kill it like that

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
V-power has some cleaning properties mixed in with it it's like putting fuel cleaner in your car. Dirty diesel :)

yeah, it appears to have worked, I have put cleaner through it when the smooth running error came up a few times, i'll monitor it, I've only done a couple of log runs recently too so expected the dpf to be over flowing, plus not had any dpf cleaner through it for a few weeks either, if it solves the problem then i'll be using it more regular

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I used V-power in my petrols and it does make a difference, especially in the newer engines. I can guarantee that if I run a few tanks of Tesco premium through the E61 525i I will start to get engine warnings. 2 tanks of Shell and they go away again. The old M62 535is E39 seem a little less fussy but they definitely have a snappier feel on the good gas.

Just about all the Indy's I talk to regarding EMLs on BMWs say, "Put good fuel in and the light will go out."

The situation may be different for the tractors but if a few pence per litre will save you having to clean your EGR then probably a good investment.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a Tesco close to where I live and a Shell close to where I work, so I only use either of them unless away somewhere. Only difference I've found between Tesco diesel and Shell is that on engines with a lot of ecu management like later Landrovers and BMWs, Shell doesn't throw up as many, if any, error codes. Tesco diesel does throw up more codes, almost all related to egr, inlet, ccv, cleaning and hoses ...

On older cars without electrical management, Shell also gives a much cleaner power delivery, fewer flat spots and more consistent good running, especially at low revs and cold engines. There's probably a fuel advantage too, but I'm not worried about that too much... A landrover's crap on fuel, the Bimmer is great in comparison, whatever fuel, so wins anyway!

OK, this is all anecdotal, non-scientific, but the difference is real. Having said that, since my vehicles get egr deletes etc I mostly use Tesco diesel and keep 'em in good fettle, I don't really get many error codes unless there's a problem elsewhere!

I would imagine also that if I ran exclusively on either fuel, using Shell would help the oil last longer, but as I change oil more regularly than standard service intervals it's a moot point.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've used predominately supermarket fuel in both diesel & petrol cars for last 20 years and never really had any issues (that I was aware of that is) caused by dodgy dirty supermarket fuel

I have noticed on the 530 a quicker pickup too, fingers crossed the error codes stay away, if they do i's a result
I was only expecting it to clean some deposits off not keep the codes away

I used to have an A4 2.8 Quatto a few years ago and I remember putting a tank of V-Power in and I really noticed the difference on acceleration.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I use V Power in all of my diesels and have done for years. Anecdotally they feel smoother/more responsive but who knows really. I take the view that the incremental cost is peanuts compared to (a) the running costs in general and (b) the potential repair costs of injectors, HP fuel pumps, turbos, DPFs etc etc. So on the basis that it reduces soot and gives better lubrication to the pumps I reckon if it saves a couple of injectors (never mind an HP pump or turbo) it probably pays for itself over the lifetime of the car - especially if the economy is slightly better as the car ages and gets kept cleaner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts