BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night we got 5 inches of snow, and there is a lot of black ice under it.

So I took the BMW 523 Manual out this morning expecting to end up in a hedge or something, however it was fantastic!

I even forgot it was RWD for a while!

Plus there is a very steep icy hill to get out of my village, and ironically on the way up there was a 2008 BMW 5 series diesel spinning it's wheels, and my 1999 BMW 5 series petrol powered up at 35MPH without any wheel-spin!

What a car! :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
BMW are worst cars in snow may as well leave them parked up. Didn't use mine used the alfa instead, if ever noticed cars getting stuck in snow on the news always bmw getting pushed cos there crap.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
All depends on the rubber. might be worth sharing what tyres are on your car, if they stand up to the cold better than others it could save those of us that do the winter tyre thing some time and money

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
BMW are worst cars in snow may as well leave them parked up. Didn't use mine used the alfa instead, if ever noticed cars getting stuck in snow on the news always bmw getting pushed cos there crap.
BMW's look good, therefore 2 mins of library footage of cars stuck in snow is always going to be better TV if it shows a nice car.

This never happened then, the car below cannot be not my wife's 325 which I took out to try and buy some grit, which was sold out, as it would not have got off the drive according to popular opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
my e46 320d never let me down once , i live on a hill as well , just plouged on , love her

·
Registered
7 Posts
My E92 wouldn't move from the drive on the tyres it came with.

Today I fitted a set of 17" alloys with vredestein wintrac xtreme tyres and the difference is hard to believe.

The office car park is under 10cm of snow today yet the traction control wasn't needed to drive through it - didn't even blink.

I switched it off, regressed about 20 years and made 'rooster tails' :D

I love my car again :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
My 2000 model 520i SE hasn't been stuck in the snow yet and I also live on a hill, had a bit of a hairy one yesterday coming down hill and round a right bend but recovered it no problem. Also had a bit of fun over the last couple days knocking it into sport and turning the traction control off...... Good times! :cool

John

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 525d Sport was fantastic in the snow,when out in the last big snowfall we went round many a bimmer and merc that were slidding backwards whilst the wheels were doing 60mph forwards.Have got new Bridgestones on the rear and that morning had new Vredestein Sessantas on the front so this probably helped,just left her in D and let her do the work,occassionally making Rooster tails is FUN.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, today a few CM of the snow has melted, and the ice has gotten slippier and thicker, so I decided to take the BMW down to my other house and swap it for the Range Rover sitting in the garage, however after arriving at the house, I was so happy with how it managed to drive through all the ice and snow without loosing grip once, I turned round and drove back again!

Who needs a RR when you have a 523! :D

A quick question - Does the 1999 5-Series have ABS ? Because on the way home I slammed on the brakes because of an a******* in a Vauxhall pulling out of a junction without looking, and the wheels didn't lock up at all, and stopped almost as quick as it does on dry roads.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Who needs a Rangey..........The only way i tell if a car has ABS is to click the key to position 2 and see if an ABS symbol comes on the dash.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts