BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I serviced my car the other week and thought i would put a post on here on how to change the oil, air, oil, fuel & pollen filters.

I bought my parts from Partco/Unipart as its around the corner from me and GSF was slightly more expensive. It is totally down to yourself where you buy your parts from, mine cost me under £100 for the above bits, 6 litres of long-life oil, motor and diesel injestion flush. The oil alone from BMW was just under £60 so its down to you what you do. In my eyes, they are all as good as each other and do the same job.

*****I have performed the service myself and i am comfortable with my ability to do so and i can not be held responsible if you damage your vehicle in an event to follow my guide.*****

OK, less of the seriousness, lets get down to the service. Here are the parts:

there is only 4 litres of oil in the picture ( i purchased 2 more after i spoke to BMW parts).

1. Daining the oil: I used some motor flush to help drain the oil, which is not necessary but down to personal preference. It also helps to have the oil warm as it will drain faster. Take the oil cap off and place some where safe. Underneath the car you will see a same flap with one screw holding it in place. Turn the screw and the flap should open:

You will then see the bolt for the oil pan. From what i can remember, it is a 13mm head. Put abit of presure and unscrew anti-clockwise, once loose, use your fingers to unscrew bbut keep pressusre on so that no oil can come out and have a bucket ready to catch the oil. When you can feel the bolt is completely unscrewed and you have your bucket ready and pull the plug away and watch as the oil drains:

Once the oil has drained you will need to take the oil filter out but do not put the oil pan plug/bolt back in yet.

2. Changing the oil filter: On the top right of the engine you will be able to see the oil filter cap next the the dip stick (you may need to take the engine cover off to get to it, see step 4):

You will need a 36mm socket to unscrew the oil filter cap off:

Be careful while using a little pressure as it is only plastic. Once unscrewed, pull it out slowly whilst you let the oil drain off the old filter. When it has drained, pull it out and put something under it so you dont get oil all over the place. It should look like this:

Pull the old filter off an take the rubber seal off that is on the cap. Put the new seal on and push the new filter on making sure it is on properly:

Screw the cap with the new filter back in to the engine and screw the oil pan plug/bolt back in tightly but not too tight and pour the 5.5 litres of oil in.

That is your oil and filter change.

3. Fuel Filter: On the passenger side of the floor pan of the car (mine is a Compact, should be the same on the Coupe, Saloon and Estate) you will see a long metal cover:

There are 6 10 or 11mm bolts holding the panel in place. Start to unscrew the bolts nearest to the rear of the car and work your way forward and try to keep the panel held up as may drop and bend. As you come to taking the panel off, be careful as the side nearest to the side sill will have 3 washers in-between the panel and floor pan. When you have done that, it should look like this:

Using a 7 or 8mm socket, unscrew the jubilee clips at either side of the filter until they are completely loose. Use a small flathead screwdriver and lightly prise the pipe away from on side of the filter. Again, have something to catch the excess as there will be abit. When you have got the pipe off, plug the new filter in, making sure you have plugged the right side in and facing the right way up. Do the same to the other side and and plug the other side of the new filter in. Put the jubilee clips back in place and tighten carefully. And it should look like this:

Now place the panel back in place making sure you have placed the end lip back into the engine panel protector. Screw the bolts back in with the 3 washers on the side closest to the side sill.

4. Air filter: I found this to be the hardest of the lot, simple to get out but niggly to get back in. OK, have a cup of tea by your side and warn people around you as you will have a mild cause of potty mouth.

You will need to take the pollen filter out first, which is located infront of the windscreen:

There are three clips, one on each side and one on the front, turn them and they should pop up and they have springs supporting them. Lift the panel up:

You will need to take the panel out, so be careful and pull from one side and it will come out. Once out, take the old filter out:

where the filter was, you will see 4 T30 (Torx30) screws holding another panel in place:

Unscrew the screws, they should stay within the panel once they have been unscrewed. Dont pull the panel out yet as you will need to un-clip the pipes running across the front of the panel. Put you finger under the cilp and put abit of leverage and pull away from the panel slightly and it should uncilp:

Once you have done that, you can now take the panel out. Lift the panel first and pull from one side:

You no need to take the engine cover off. There are 5 bolts holding the cover on. 2 at the front, 2 at the back and one on the right side near the coolant cap.:

Push the rubber gromet off and you will now be able to take the cover off. On the left side of the engine you will see the inlet pipe and the air filter cover. The inlet pipe is held on by one bolt and the air filter cover is held by 4 bolts:

In the picture, you can see i have undone the pipe bolt and you can see first 3 air filter cover bolts. Unscrew them all and get ready to unscrew to last one which is around the rear of the cover:

Once you have got it unscrewed, you will be able to lift the cover off and slide it under the pipes running across the engine:

Pull the filter out, pulling from the end closest to the windscreen.

Put the new filter in, doing the reversal of the removal and make sure the dimple at the end closest to the winscreen is facing downwards. Make sure you have pushed the filter on properly and it is in a snug fit:

Pull the cover back over and clip back in place. It took me a while to get the panel right as there is a clip on the under side of the panel which has to clip in before you can screw it back into place. Once you have done that, reverse the instructions to get the car back as it was.

That is how i serviced my car and i hope you found it helpful. If anyone can add advice and help, please do.

Cheers

Lloyd

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fantastic post btw!

Is it possible to carry out the service without the ramps? Any suggestions etc?

What/how are you intending to fill in your service book if your service has been carried out by yourself btw?
Cheers. Its great when you got mates in the industry, but if i didnt then i would invest in some metal car ramps which you can get for cheap. Or if your really fancy the height adjustable ones!!

Regarding the book, im using my Diary on here writing it down with the receipts. Totally down to yourself, but the last 2 cars i've had and i've kept a diary on forums, the people who have bought them have said that' that is a better record than having a stamp in the book. :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Cheers,

Can you point out some ramps on ebay which you'd recommend?

YOu say keeping a diary online? On forums? How do you mean?

Yeah I thought about my car... being worth £7000 and me keeping it for a fair few years.... as long as I keep the receipts of all my service items and write in the book when and what I've done I guess that's good enough?!?

Obviously not as good as a stealers stamo but hey the figures you're talking about above mean that a service will be costing me £100.

Sounds good to me!

Do you know what gets done in the 'inspection 1' and 'inspection 2'? It also says in the book 'air cleaner element' and 'diesel fuel filter'? Which does your above method enable me to tick?

Cheers

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers,

Can you point out some ramps on ebay which you'd recommend?
There are loads you can choose from, heres a result from a search i just done, http://motors.shop.ebay.co.uk/items...lnZ1QQ_sacatZ30896QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em282

YOu say keeping a diary online? On forums? How do you mean?
Here's mine, http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f82/my-e46-compact-t14175/. Its a little geeky but i like to keep people updated about what i have done.

Yeah I thought about my car... being worth £7000 and me keeping it for a fair few years.... as long as I keep the receipts of all my service items and write in the book when and what I've done I guess that's good enough?!?
It all depends on the person who is buying your car in the future and how much they know about cars. Some cars, like one that i was looking at had 87k on the clock and was at a decent price but had no service history with it. I rang a dealership and asked them if there was a service record, there was and the assistant give me the details and i rang the dealerships that the car had been to. I was shocked to find out the last BMW service it had was over 2 years ago and had over 120k recorded. It does help having a full dealer service history but to me, i find it expensive, only worth while to "keep the warranty valid" and pointless when i can learn how to do it and know that i have done a good job.

I used to sell cars for a main dealer and a independant. The main dealer would provide a full service before it leaves but at an independant, its and oil and filter change and a check over.

Everyone has there own piece of mind and its down to how you record what you do and how you maintain your car.

Obviously not as good as a stealers stamo but hey the figures you're talking about above mean that a service will be costing me £100.

Sounds good to me!
Damn right, im not willing to pay £60 for 5.5 litres of oil and £70 for someone to change it.

Do you know what gets done in the 'inspection 1' and 'inspection 2'? It also says in the book 'air cleaner element' and 'diesel fuel filter'? Which does your above method enable me to tick?
Heres a link on Inspection 1 & 2:

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/bmw-inspection-2-dealer-checklist-t91/

The only thing i havent done on a comparative Insp 2 service is change the coolant, Oxygen sensor, brake, rear axle and transmission fluid.

Coolant is easy, Oxygen sensor i assume can be an easy job, the only thing i would need help on or hope there is a guide to change the 3 fluids.

Most of the checks you can do yourself and if something is wrong, you will know about it and there will be a warning light on. Do a google search and there will besomething on there or on here telling what the problem is and how to go about it.

Last but not least, you dont need to worry about spark plugs if you have a Diesel. They have glow plugs and they shouldnt need to be changed to the life of the car. If a glow plug does need replacing, the car wont start, struggle to start and/or run really rough.

I hope this helps, i am not a mechanic but know many people who are and take in information really well. Im willing to give anything a go first time round as long as i dont damage my car lol :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi, Thanks for the great post, I serviced my car yesterday and followed this guide and it saved me loads of time. I did however have a major problem, My oil filter housing was stuck solid, I tried for about an hour to get it out and in the end it broke. I have had to order a new one from the dealer. Its only £22 +VAT so its not too bad.

Another thing I noticed when I replaced the fuel filter the outgoing rubber pipe that heads to wards the engine has started to crack, its not split completely yet but I think it will need replacing soon. Does anyone know if this is an easy job to do? I think its item 2 on the following link:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AP72&mospid=47665&btnr=16_0512&hg=16&fg=15

Thanks!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, Thanks for the great post, I serviced my car yesterday and followed this guide and it saved me loads of time. I did however have a major problem, My oil filter housing was stuck solid, I tried for about an hour to get it out and in the end it broke. I have had to order a new one from the dealer. Its only £22 +VAT so its not too bad.

Another thing I noticed when I replaced the fuel filter the outgoing rubber pipe that heads to wards the engine has started to crack, its not split completely yet but I think it will need replacing soon. Does anyone know if this is an easy job to do? I think its item 2 on the following link:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AP72&mospid=47665&btnr=16_0512&hg=16&fg=15

Thanks!
Im glad it did help you, i was scared of breaking mine as i did it on my Astra Coupe last year and that was a metal one!:jaw-dropping At least you got a spare and it wasnt too expensive, just dont put it on too tight, :D. I wouldnt know about the pipe but if its not leaking i would probabely leave it or change it if it is easy to do so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
great info, got all the parts together and went to see my mate in his merc garage for instructions on oil visc., fuel filter & airflow sensor while the cover was off & he offered to do the lot for £30. one day he'll let me work on my own!!?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.